IGNORED

Is it a sin to stay away from members of your family?

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

Is it a sin to stay away from members of your family if things are such that that is what you want to do?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

22 minutes ago, Lee_ said:

Is it a sin to stay away from members of your family if things are such that that is what you want to do?

Depends on which family members you are referring to. People have the responsibility of raising their kids. I think you'd need a pretty good reason to stay away from your spouse.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

17 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Depends on which family members you are referring to. People have the responsibility of raising their kids. I think you'd need a pretty good reason to stay away from your spouse.

I'm single and don't have any kids.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 minutes ago, Lee_ said:

I'm single and don't have any kids.

I have chosen to be estranged from family members on more than one occasion. It's not the way you wish it to be, but maybe sometimes it is the best way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Lee_ said:

No it's not a sin if you have reasons. Example: when me and my husband became Christians, we continued to talk with some family members and try to hang out, however that didn't last to long. They weren't christians. They didn't want to become one and we didn't want to do the things we used to. So we had to stay away from them, this wasn't to say we didn't love them or ever speak to them. But without anything in common anymore and we weren't going backwards and they decided not to come up to receive Christ, then a separation was necessary. So if your dealing with unsaved family members then at times it's necessary to stay away from them. But also remember they are watching you, so let the light of Christ shine towards them through you, and perhaps they will one day receive Christ also by your living example.

God bless ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, Lee_ said:

If this person is a stumbling block to your Christian faith then no it is not a sin.Ā 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 hours ago, Lee_ said:

Many times a toxic relative can't be totally avoided. I don't feel it to be a sinful thingĀ if you need to excuse yourself from being actively involved with any particular member. Your parents on the other hand, if you have either, should at least have some respect from you. This doesn't mean being subjected toĀ treatmentĀ in an abusive and caustic manner. Still, parents are human. We should always use our wisdom in dealing with family members.Ā 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

The vast majority of my extended family I haven't spoken to since I was still in elementary school. I know their names, but I do not know them. Lots of newer, younger ones who's names I don't know, even. I'm an uncle and i've never spoken to my nephews. Honestly? A part of me is hurt that the family isn't more normal (or what should be "normal"), but the other part is rather fine with it. You can't miss strangers, and at least I don't have people calling me up.Ā If one actually did call me up, I'd figure they were after something rather than trying to get in touch. C'est la vie, I suppose.Ā 

To me, if they're a negative person who either wishes you harm or to drag you into drama, avoid them. If they have no interest in you, as it is with me, give them the same treatment. Otherwise, if it is just a small conflict, one should not let that interfere with what should be a normal family. After all, that part of me is still hurt. Actions have consequences and affect everyone.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Many times a toxic relative can't be totally avoided. I don't feel it to be a sinful thingĀ if you need to excuse yourself from being actively involved with any particular member. Your parents on the other hand, if you have either, should at least have some respect from you. This doesn't mean being subjected toĀ treatmentĀ in an abusive and caustic manner. Still, parents are human. We should always use our wisdom in dealing with family members.Ā 

And then there is forgivness toward our parents.Ā 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 hours ago, missmuffet said:

And then there is forgivness toward our parents.Ā 

Amen, Miss. This is something also very essential. Thanks for making mention of it.