• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1067&t=YLT

γέεννα géenna, gheh'-en-nah; of Hebrew origin (H1516 and H2011); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:—hell.

G1067 matches the Greek γέεννα (geenna) occurs 12 times in 12 verses

Matthew 10:28 “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in gehenna<1067>.
Matthew 23:33 "Serpents! brood of vipers! how? ye may be fleeing from the judging<2920> of the Gehenna<1067>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

Gehenna is a small valley in Jerusalem. In the Hebrew Bible, Gehenna was initially where some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire.[1] Thereafter, it was deemed to be cursed (Book of Jeremiah 7:31, 19:26).[2]

In rabbinic literature, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked.[3] This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, although the King James Version of the Bible usually translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word "hell".

In the King James Version of the Bible, the term appears 13 times in 11 different verses as Valley of Hinnom, Valley of the son of Hinnom or Valley of the children of Hinnom.

The Valley of Hinnom is the modern name for the valley surrounding Jerusalem's Old City, including Mount Zion, from the west and south. It meets and merges with the Kidron Valley, the other principal valley around the Old City, near the southeastern corner of the city.

=========================================

Why is Hell disappearing from the Bible? In this presentation I am focusing on the entire context of Gehenna, commonly translated as "hell" in the New Testament. In considering the historical context of these passages, and who Jesus is speaking to, it becomes apparent that Jesus is not referring to a realm of eternal punishment but rather earthly judgment related to that generation.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 12/16/2019 at 8:42 PM, InChristAlways said:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1067&t=YLT

γέεννα géenna, gheh'-en-nah; of Hebrew origin (H1516 and H2011); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:—hell.

G1067 matches the Greek γέεννα (geenna) occurs 12 times in 12 verses

Matthew 10:28 “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in gehenna<1067>.
Matthew 23:33 "Serpents! brood of vipers! how? ye may be fleeing from the judging<2920> of the Gehenna<1067>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

Gehenna is a small valley in Jerusalem. In the Hebrew Bible, Gehenna was initially where some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire.[1] Thereafter, it was deemed to be cursed (Book of Jeremiah 7:31, 19:26).[2]

In rabbinic literature, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked.[3] This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, although the King James Version of the Bible usually translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word "hell".

In the King James Version of the Bible, the term appears 13 times in 11 different verses as Valley of Hinnom, Valley of the son of Hinnom or Valley of the children of Hinnom.

The Valley of Hinnom is the modern name for the valley surrounding Jerusalem's Old City, including Mount Zion, from the west and south. It meets and merges with the Kidron Valley, the other principal valley around the Old City, near the southeastern corner of the city.

=========================================

Why is Hell disappearing from the Bible? In this presentation I am focusing on the entire context of Gehenna, commonly translated as "hell" in the New Testament. In considering the historical context of these passages, and who Jesus is speaking to, it becomes apparent that Jesus is not referring to a realm of eternal punishment but rather earthly judgment related to that generation.

Shalom, InChristAlways.

You're right about the word "gehenna" or rather "ge-enna," in Greek spelled gamma-epsilon-epsilon-nu-nu-alpha,. a contraction of "ge Henna" (with the rough breathing), a translation of the Hebrew phrase "geey' ben-Hinnom" in Hebrew, meaning "valley of-son-of-Hinnom." (2 Chronicles 28:3)

On the other hand, "hell" comes from the ...

Old English helhell, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch hel and German Hölle, from an Indo-European root meaning ‘to cover or hide’,

according to the dictionary's etymology.

"Hell" NEEDS to disappear from the Bible. It NEVER should have been there in the first place! The translation NEEDS to be the "valley of Hinnom" or the "valley of the Son of Hinnom," which would make the passage much more meaningful. Y'see, that valley just outside of Yerushalayim, Yisra'eel, is where the kings of Israel set up their judgment thrones.

That doesn't mean that the concept of PUNISHMENT for disobedience to God's generous offer of His Son's death shouldn't be there, but it's there as the concept of "the Lake of Fire and Sulfur" or "the Lake of Burning Sulfur" found in the book of Revelation!

You're partly right that "Jesus is not referring to a realm of eternal punishment but rather earthly judgment related to that generation," but He was also referring to the earthly judgment related to that generation after the RESURRECTION! What they never understood is that there's a PAYBACK coming! Do you remember Yeshua`s parable after His visit to Zacchaeus' house?

Luke 19:11-27 (KJV)

11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear. 12 He said therefore,

"A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return. 13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them,

'Occupy (Do business) till I come.'

14 But his citizens HATED him, and sent a message after him, saying,

'We will NOT have this man to reign over us!' 

15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. 16 Then came the first, saying,

'Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.'

17 And he said unto him,

'Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities!'

18 And the second came, saying,

'Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.'

19 And he said likewise to him,

'Be thou also over five cities!'

20 And another came, saying,

'Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin: 21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.'

22 And he saith unto him,

'Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant! Thou KNEWEST that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow: 23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?'

24 And he said unto them that stood by,

'Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds! 

25 (And they said unto him,

'Lord, he HATH ten pounds!') 

26 'For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him! 

27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, BRING HITHER, and SLAY THEM before me!'

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/2/2020 at 7:20 AM, Sonshine said:

Greetings …  I believe God’s judgment will not happen until after the millennium, at the Great White Throne Judgement.  Those who do not make it will be cast into the Lake of Fire.  The consequences for sin is death, not burning forever and ever.  The wicked will be no more.  They will perish like wax in the fire.  They will cease to exist.

Romans 6:23 King James Version (KJV)

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Psalm 37:9-10 King James Version (KJV)

For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the earth.

10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

Psalm 68:2 King James Version (KJV)

As smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.

Shalom, Sonshine, and Shabbat Shalom, when the sun goes down.

That's an interesting theory; however, we have other verses that are just as compelling:

Isaiah 66:22-24 (KJV)

22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

How does this figure into your theory?

I want to put you at ease. See, this is an honest, legitimate question. I tend to want to agree with you, but I must take the Word of God at face value, and God's Word takes PRECEDENCE over any one of any man's theories.

Edited by Retrobyter
to put my colleague at ease

On 1/4/2020 at 8:55 AM, Sonshine said:

Greetings, Retrobyter...  I hope that with all of us praying about this and seeking scripture together, the Lord will bless us and provide us with the Truth.  I will write a few thoughts here for now but truly, I need to study more about this subject.  Many people are losing their faith because they can’t imagine a Father in heaven tormenting, say their unsaved mother, for example, for an eternity.

Shalom, Sonshine.

Yes, that would be ideal. I do notice that you avoided this attention to Isaiah 66:22-24, but that's okay. We can table it for the time being. Just remember: We need to return to these verses in the future.

I fear that we have put a face on YHWH that isn't reality. He still HATES SIN AND ALWAYS WILL, and He is COMPLETELY RIGHTEOUS. He may "love the sinner," but if the sinner never divorces himself or herself from that sin, then that person will suffer God's hatred along with the sin! He is a "loving Father" only to His children! And, one only becomes one of His children IF AND WHEN he or she comes to God humbly and asks for His intervention because he or she recognizes his or her inability to do anything to earn God's favor. YHWH OUR GOD must justify a person, and only then can one be found as God's "righteousness" in His Son, Yeshua` the Messiah. (2 Corinthians 5:21.)

You need to understand that, during the Millennium, the Messiah King, the One Anointed by God to be King, Yeshua`, will be judging people throughout the thousand-year period. There shall be a universal judgment, the Great White Throne Judgment, at the end of the thousand-year period, but that will be a "mop-up judgment" that will tie up all the "loose strings" of injustice. When all has been revealed, one won't be thinking "my poor unsaved mother" anymore. One will realize that this person (his or her mother) WILLFULLY REJECTED God's mercy and showed TOTAL DISDAIN for God's provision of a Sacrifice for his or her sin, and also TOTALLY DISRESPECTED GOD'S SON by such rejection! His or her mother CHOSE to stick to her sin and suffer the consequences of God's HATRED!

On 1/4/2020 at 8:55 AM, Sonshine said:

By the way, I looked up “torment” in the Strong’s, #3600:  “Torment” does not always mean torture, etc., as is commonly thought by people when they read Luke 16:23 regarding the rich man.  By the way, this parable is referring to the Gulf, not the Lake of Fire, which occurs at the White Throne Judgment.

Strong's Concordance

odunaó: to cause or suffer pain

Original Word: ὀδυνάω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: odunaó
Phonetic Spelling: (od-oo-nah'-o)
Definition: to cause or suffer pain
Usage: I torment, pain; mid. and pass: I am tormented, pained; I suffer acute pain, physical or mental.

HELPS Word-studies

3600 odynáō (from 3601 /odýnē, "very painful sorrow") – properly, to experience intense emotional pain (WP, 2, 223), i.e. deep, personal anguish expressed by great mourning (LS). This root (ody-) literally means "go down" (as the sun in a sunset) and refers to consuming sorrow.

NAS Exhaustive Concordance

Word Origin
from oduné
Definition
to cause or suffer pain
NASB Translation
agony (1), am in agony (1), anxiously (1), grieving (1).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 3600: ὀδυνάω

ὀδυνάω, ὀδύνω: present indicative passive ὀδυνῶμαι; present indicative middle 2 person singular ὀδυνᾶσαι (see κατακαυχάομαι), participle ὀδυνωμενος; (ὀδύνη); to cause intense pain; passive to be in anguish, be tormented: Luke 16:24f; middle to torment or distress oneself (A. V. to sorrow), Luke 2:48; ἐπί τίνι, Acts 20:38. (Aristophanes, Sophocles, Euripides, Plato, others; the Sept..)  

Now, regarding Isaiah 66:24, 

I believe this verse is used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:—hell (Geenna).  In the verse below, notice the word “punishment” and that the word is not “punishing.”  Punishment is an act, and I believe this would be an everlasting punishment.

Matthew 25:46 King James Version (KJV)

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

As smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.

I can see we have some work to do. First, we need to properly understand the Greek terms that were translated as "hell," because they don't mean what most think of when thinking about the word "hell." But, not tonight.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  467
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0

When the people were allowed to return, after the Babylonian captivity, no one wanted to build a house on land that was "cursed", so they turned it into a garbage dump. 

Jesus was saying that anyone who did not choose Him, would end up like that garbage. 

Worms and fire were consuming that garbage.  Bodies of dead criminals were thrown in there.  OK - but they didn't throw live people in there

In Isaiah 66:24, it doesn't say we will see conscious people being consumed by worms or fire.

Isaiah 66:24  "And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

In a garbage dump, the worms keep eating and the fire keeps consuming UNTIL ALL THE FUEL RUNS OUT - until the job of consuming is done.

In Revelation 20, Satan is released from the abyss at the 8th millennium.  He deceives "the nations in the four corners of the earth".  Those deceived by him, gather into a huge army and come up to attack the City where Christ is reigning with His priesthood.  Fire comes down and consumes them.  The saints (from the City) will go out and look upon the corpses of those who came up in the attack.  It will take 7 months to finish the clean-up.  The bones will all be gathered together at a place called Hamon-Gog. 

See Ezekiel 39:11-16.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

18 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, Sonshine.

Yes, that would be ideal. I do notice that you avoided this attention to Isaiah 66:22-24, but that's okay. We can table it for the time being. Just remember: We need to return to these verses in the future.

I fear that we have put a face on YHWH that isn't reality. He still HATES SIN AND ALWAYS WILL, and He is COMPLETELY RIGHTEOUS. He may "love the sinner," but if the sinner never divorces himself or herself from that sin, then that person will suffer God's hatred along with the sin! He is a "loving Father" only to His children! And, one only becomes one of His children IF AND WHEN he or she comes to God humbly and asks for His intervention because he or she recognizes his or her inability to do anything to earn God's favor. YHWH OUR GOD must justify a person, and only then can one be found as God's "righteousness" in His Son, Yeshua` the Messiah. (2 Corinthians 5:21.)

You need to understand that, during the Millennium, the Messiah King, the One Anointed by God to be King, Yeshua`, will be judging people throughout the thousand-year period. There shall be a universal judgment, the Great White Throne Judgment, at the end of the thousand-year period, but that will be a "mop-up judgment" that will tie up all the "loose strings" of injustice. When all has been revealed, one won't be thinking "my poor unsaved mother" anymore. One will realize that this person (his or her mother) WILLFULLY REJECTED God's mercy and showed TOTAL DISDAIN for God's provision of a Sacrifice for his or her sin, and also TOTALLY DISRESPECTED GOD'S SON by such rejection! His or her mother CHOSE to stick to her sin and suffer the consequences of God's HATRED!

I can see we have some work to do. First, we need to properly understand the Greek terms that were translated as "hell," because they don't mean what most think of when thinking about the word "hell." But, not tonight.

This had been done more than once--I think in this thread and another. Every single verse in old and new. Hell, Sheol, grave, destroy and perish.

It didn't make a dent for some.

The word ‘Sheol’ is mentioned 65 times in the Old Testament. If you search for it in the KJV, you won’t find it at all. The actual word sheol is translated incorrectly to ‘hell’ 54 times.

And the remaining 11 times as either grave or pit. The actual word in the original each time is ‘sheol’.

vְאוֹל (šᵉʾôl), Sheol, netherworld (H8619).

ANE Sum./Akk. attest šuʾāru or a proposed šuʾālû (cf. AHw, 1255b), but most scholars reject any connection between them and Heb. שְׁאוֹל (Heidel, The Gilgamesh Epic, 173). Inasmuch as the lexeme occurs nowhere else in ancient Sem. texts, it seems clear so far that the term is a Heb. isogloss.

OT This term for the abode of the dead occurs 65x in the Heb. OT, 61x rendered ᾅδης (G87) in LXX and 61x infernum or inferi in Vg. All attempts to recover its etymology have failed (cf. HALAT 1274). Its collocation with ‏אֲבַדֹּה‎ / ‏עֲבַדּוֹן‎ (Prov 27:20; 15:11) and parallelism with ‏בּוֹר‎ (Isa 14:15) and ‏מָוֶת‎ (Ps 89:48 [49]; Prov 5:5; 7:27; Song of Songs 8:6) make it clear that ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ designates both the grave and the netherworld, particularly the latter. It is a favorite term in poetry and Wisdom literature (35x) and occurs several times in both Isaiah (9x) and Ezekiel (5x) as well.

1. Fundamentally, ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ is a place, one beneath the earth’s surface to which people descend at death (Gen 37:35; Job 7:9; Ezek 31:15, 17; 32:27) or even while still alive (Num 16:33; Ps 55:15 [16]). The common use of ‏יָרַד‎ with the hi. suggests that people go to ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ also against their will; they are brought down to that place (Gen 42:38; 44:29, 31; 1 Sam 2:6; 1 Kgs 2:6, 9; Ezek 31:16). Ultimately it is Yahweh who causes them to go down, but he also has it in his power to bring them forth again (1 Sam 2:6; cf. Isa 26:19). Whether the grave or the netherworld is in view, ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ speaks of the deepest depths, the antithesis of the highest heavens (Job 11:8; cf. Prov 9:18). Like ‏מָוֶת‎ it is a dwelling place, one approached through gates and covered everywhere with dust (Job 17:16; Isa 38:10).

2. As a personification, ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ is a fearsome enemy. With ropes (2 Sam 22:6 = Ps 18:4 [5]) it drags its victims down (Job 24:19) into its very mouth (Ps 141:7). It is a cruel despot (Song of Songs 8:6), capable of carrying out its evil designs because of its irresistible power (Ps 89:48 [49]). Jonah, though in the belly of the fish, metaphorically saw himself also to be in the belly of Sheol (Jonah 2:2 [3]).

3. God cannot be frustrated by ‏שְׁאוֹל‎, however, but is able to direct the wise away from it (Prov 15:24) and to deliver his saints from its maraudings (Ps 86:13). It  [Vol. 4, p. 7]  may take discipline to steer the recalcitrant child from heading to ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ (Prov 23:14), but even those who end up there have the hope of being redeemed (‏פָּדָה‎ H7009) from its grasp and brought back to life (Ps 49:15 [16]).

4. The most elaborate OT descriptions of the netherworld appear in Isaiah and Ezekiel. Isaiah, speaking of the king of Babylon in the guise of Helel ben Shacher, prophesies his fall from the heights to the depths, to Sheol (Isa 14:15 || ‏בּוֹר‎). There the occupants will marvel at his radical reversal of fortune (vv. 16–18). Ezekiel condemns Pharaoh in a similar manner, consigning him to Sheol, the place of the pit (‏בּוֹר‎) and the lowest parts of earth (‏אֶרֶץ תַּחְתִּית‎, Ezek 31:16). It is the realm of the uncircumcised (v. 18), a way of describing Gentile sinners especially (cf. 32:21). The dead there have an existence of some kind, though their description as “shades” (‏רְפָאִים) (Isa 14:9) makes it clear that theirs is a weak and unrewarding style of life (14:10). There is no hope of deliverance from Sheol or the grave unless God himself should graciously intervene, a possibility hinted at here and there in the OT record (Ps 16:10; 49:15 [16]; 56:13 [14]; 86:13). Full assurance of victory over Sheol must await the revelation of the NT witness (1 Cor 15:50–58).

Gen. 37:35 Then all his sons and all his daughters arose to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. And he said, “Surely I will ago down to Sheol in mourning for my son.” So his father wept for him.

Gen. 42:38 But 1Jacob said, “My son shall not go down with you; for his abrother is dead, and he alone is left. bIf harm should befall him on the journey 2you are taking, then you will cbring my gray hair down to Sheol in sorrow.”

Gen. 44:29 ‘If you take this one also from 1me, and harm befalls him, you will abring my gray hair down to Sheol in 2sorrow.’

Gen. 44:31 when he sees that the lad is not with us, he will die. Thus your servants will abring the gray hair of your servant our father down to Sheol in sorrow.

Num. 16:30 “But aif the LORD 1brings about an entirely new thing and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them up with all that is theirs, and they bdescend alive into 2Sheol, then you will understand that these men have spurned the LORD.”

Num. 16:33 So they and all that belonged to them went down alive to 1Sheol; and the earth closed over them, and they perished from the midst of the assembly.

Deut. 32:22  aFor a fire is kindled in My anger,

And burns to the lowest part of 1Sheol,

bAnd consumes the earth with its yield,

And sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.

1Sam. 2:6  aThe LORD kills and makes alive;

bHe brings down to 1Sheol and raises up.

2Sam. 22:6  aThe cords of 1Sheol surrounded me;

The snares of death confronted me.

1Kings 2:6aSo act according to your wisdom, and do not let his gray hair go down to 1Sheol in peace.

1Kings 2:9 “Now therefore, do not let him go unpunished, afor you are a wise man; and you will know what you ought to do to him, and you will bring his gray hair down to 1Sheol with blood.”

Job 7:9  “When a acloud vanishes, it is gone,

So bhe who goes down to cSheol does not come up.

Job 11:8  “They are ahigh as 1the heavens, what can you do?

Deeper than 2bSheol, what can you know?

Job 14:13    “Oh that You would hide me in 1Sheol,

That You would conceal me auntil Your wrath returns to You,

That You would set a limit for me and remember me!

Job 17:13  “If I look for aSheol as my home,

I 1make my bed in the darkness;

Job 17:16  1Will it go down with me to Sheol?

Shall we together ago down into the dust?”

Job 21:13  “They aspend their days in prosperity,

And 1suddenly they go down to 2Sheol.

Job 24:19  “Drought and heat 1aconsume the snow waters,

So does 2bSheol those who have sinned.

Job 26:6  “Naked is 1aSheol before Him,

And 2bAbaddon has no covering.

Job 33:18  He akeeps back his soul from the pit,

And his life from 1passing over binto Sheol.

Psa. 6:5  For athere is no 1mention of You in death;

In 2Sheol who will give You thanks?

Psa. 9:17    The wicked will 1areturn to 2Sheol,

Even all the nations who bforget God.

Psa. 16:10  For You awill not abandon my soul to 1Sheol;

Nor will You 2ballow Your 3Holy One to 4undergo decay.

Psa. 18:5  The acords of 1Sheol surrounded me;

Psa. 30:3  O LORD, You have abrought up my soul from 1Sheol;

You have kept me alive, 2that I would not bgo down to the pit.

Psa. 31:17  Let me not be aput to shame, O LORD, for I call upon You;

Let the bwicked be put to shame, let them cbe silent in 1Sheol.

Psa. 49:14  As sheep they are appointed afor 1Sheol;

Death shall be their shepherd;

And the bupright shall rule over them in the morning,

And their form shall be for 1Sheol cto consume

2So that they have no habitation.

15  But God will aredeem my soul from the 1power of 2Sheol,

For bHe will receive me.  Selah.

Psa. 55:15  Let 1death come adeceitfully upon them;

Let them bgo down alive to 2Sheol,

For evil is in their dwelling, in their midst.

Psa. 86:13  For Your lovingkindness toward me is great,

And You have adelivered my soul from the 1depths of 2Sheol.

Psa. 88:3  For my asoul has 1had enough troubles,

And bmy life has drawn near to 2Sheol.

Psa. 89:48  What man can live and not asee death?

Can he bdeliver his soul from the 1power of 2Sheol?  Selah.

Psa. 116:3  The acords of death encompassed me

And the 1terrors of 2Sheol 3came upon me;

I found distress and sorrow.

Psa. 139:8  aIf I ascend to heaven, You are there;

If I make my bed in 1Sheol, behold, bYou are there.

Psa. 141:7  As when one aplows and breaks open the earth,

Our bbones have been scattered at the cmouth of 1Sheol.

Prov. 1:12  Let us aswallow them alive like Sheol,

Even whole, as those who bgo down to the pit;

Prov. 5:5  Her feet ago down to death,

Her steps take hold of Sheol.

Prov. 7:27  Her ahouse is the way to Sheol,

Descending to the chambers of death.

Prov. 9:18  But he does not know that the 1dead are there,

That her guests are in the adepths of Sheol.

Prov. 15:11  1aSheol and 2Abaddon lie open before the LORD,

How much more the bhearts of 3men!

Prov. 15:24  The apath of life leads upward for the wise

That he may keep away from 1Sheol below.

Prov. 23:14  You shall 1strike him with the rod

And arescue his soul from Sheol.

Prov. 27:20  1aSheol and 2Abaddon are bnever satisfied,

Nor are the ceyes of man ever satisfied.

Prov. 30:16  1aSheol, and the bbarren womb,

Earth that is never satisfied with water,

And fire that never says, “Enough.”

Eccl. 9:10   Whatever your hand finds to do, ado it with all your might; for there is no bactivity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in cSheol where you are going.

Song 8:6  “Put me like a 1seal over your heart,

Like a aseal on your arm.

For love is as strong as death,

2bJealousy is as severe as Sheol;

Its flashes are flashes of fire,

3The very flame of the LORD.

Is. 5:14  Therefore aSheol has enlarged its 1throat and opened its mouth without measure;

And 2Jerusalem’s splendor, her multitude, her din of revelry and the jubilant within her, descend into it.

Is. 7:11 “Ask a asign for yourself from the LORD your God; 1make it deep as Sheol or high as 2heaven.”

Is. 14:9  aSheol from beneath is excited over you to meet you when you come;

It arouses for you the 1spirits of the dead, all the 2leaders of the earth;

It raises all the kings of the nations from their thrones.

Is. 14:11  ‘Your apomp and the music of your harps

Have been brought down to Sheol;

Maggots are spread out as your bed beneath you

And worms are your covering.’

Is. 14:15  “Nevertheless you awill be thrust down to Sheol,

To the recesses of the pit.

Is. 28:15  Because you have said, “We have made a acovenant with death,

And with 1Sheol we have made a 2pact.

bThe overwhelming 3scourge will not reach us when it passes by,

For we have made cfalsehood our refuge and we have dconcealed ourselves with deception.”

Is. 28:18  “Your acovenant with death will be 1bcanceled,

And your pact with Sheol will not stand;

When the aoverwhelming scourge passes through,

Then you become its ctrampling place.

Is. 38:10  I said, “aIn the middle of my 1life

I am to enter the bgates of Sheol;

I am to be cdeprived of the rest of my years.”

Is. 38:18  “For aSheol cannot thank You,

Death cannot praise You;

Those who go down bto the pit cannot hope for Your faithfulness.

Is. 57:9  “You have journeyed to the king with oil

And increased your perfumes;

You have asent your envoys a great distance

And made them go down to 1Sheol.

Ezek. 31:15   ‘Thus says the Lord GOD, “On the day when it went down to Sheol I acaused lamentations; I closed the 1deep over it and held back its rivers. And its many waters were stopped up, and I made Lebanon 2mourn for it, and all the trees of the field wilted away on account of it. 16 “I made the nations aquake at the sound of its fall when I made it bgo down to Sheol with those who go down to the pit; and all the 1well-watered trees of Eden, the choicest and best of cLebanon, were dcomforted in the earth beneath. 17 “They also awent down with it to Sheol to those who were bslain by the sword; and those who were its 1strength lived cunder its shade among the nations.

Ezek. 32:21 “The astrong among the mighty ones shall speak of him and his helpers from the midst of Sheol, ‘They have gone down, they lie still, the uncircumcised, slain by the sword.’

Ezek. 32:27aNor do they lie beside the fallen 1bheroes of the uncircumcised, who went down to Sheol with their weapons of war and whose swords were laid under their heads; but the punishment for their ciniquity rested on their bones, though the terror of these 1heroes was once in the land of the living.

Hos. 13:14  Shall I aransom them from the 1power of Sheol?

Shall I redeem them from death?

bO Death, where are your thorns?

O Sheol, where is your sting?

cCompassion will be hidden from My sight.

Amos 9:2  “Though they dig into aSheol,

From there will My hand take them;

And though they bascend to heaven,

From there will I bring them down.

Jonah 2:2  and he said,

“I acalled out of my distress to the LORD,

And He answered me.

I cried for help from the 1depth of bSheol;

You heard my voice.

Hab. 2:5  “Furthermore, awine betrays the bhaughty man,

So that he does not cstay at home.

He denlarges his appetite like Sheol,

And he is like death, never satisfied.

He also gathers to himself all nations

And collects to himself all peoples.

The word Gehenna in the New Testament is translated as ‘hell’ 12 times. This is incorrect as it should be tranlated correctly as the ‘valley of the sons of Hinnom’.

1067. γέεννα; gēnna (others would accent gēnna, deriving it through the Chaldee. In Mark 9:45 Rec.st gēna), gēnēs (Buttmann, 17 (15)), hē, (from gê hinnom, Neh. 11:30; more fully gê ben hinnom, Josh. 15:8; 18:16; 2 Chr. 28:3; Jer. 7:32; gê bĕnê hinnom, 2 Kings 23:10 Kethibh; Chaldean gĕhinām, the valley of the son of lamentation, or of the sons of lamentation, the valley of lamentation, hinnom being used for nihom lamentation; see Hiller, Onomasticum; cf. Hitzig (and Graf) on Jer. 7:31; (Böttcher, De Inferis, i., p. 82ff); accusative to the common opinion hinnom is the name of a man), Gehenna, the name of a valley on the south and east of Jerusalem (yet apparently beginning on the Winer’s Grammar, cf. Josh. 15:8; Pressel in Herzog, under the word), which was so called from the cries of the little children who were thrown into the fiery arms of Moloch (which see), i.e. of an idol having the form of a bull. The Jews so abhorred the place after these horrible sacrifices had been abolished by king Josiah (2 Kings 23:10), that they cast into it not only all manner of refuse, but even the dead bodies of animals and of unburied criminals who had been executed. And since fires were always needed to consume the dead bodies, that the air might not become tainted by the putrefaction, it came to pass that the place was called gēnna tou puros (this common explanation of the descriptive genitive tou puros is found in Rabbi David Kimchi (fl. circa A. D. 1200) on Ps. 27:13. Some suppose the genitive to refer not to purifying fires but to the fires of Moloch; others regard it as the natural symbol of penalty (cf. Lev. 10:2; Num. 16:35; 2 Kings 1; Ps. 11:6; also Matt. 3:11; 13:42; 2 Thess. 1:8, etc.). See Böttcher, as above, p. 84; Meyer (Thol.) Wetstein (1752) on Matt. 5:22); and then this name was transferred to that place in Hades where the wicked after death will suffer punishment: Matt. 5:22,29f; 10:28; Luke 12:5; Mark 9:43,45; James 3:6; gēnna tou puros, Matt. 5:22; 18:9; Mark 9:47 (R G Tr marginal reading brackets); krisis tēs gēnnēs, Matt. 23:33; huios tēs gēnnēs, worthy of punishment in Gehenna, Matt. 23:15. Further, cf. Dillmann, Buch Henoch, 27, 1f, p. 131f; (B. D. American edition; Böttcher, as above, p. 80ff; Hamburger, Real-Encycl., Abth. I. under the word Hölle; Bartlett, Life and Death eternal, Appendix H.).*

GK G1147 | S G1067   γέεννα   geenna   12x  

Gehenna, pr. the valley of Hinnom, south of Jerusalem, once celebrated for the horrid worship of Moloch, and afterwards polluted with every species of filth, as well as the carcasses of animals, and dead bodies of malefactors; to consume which, in order to avert the pestilence which such a mass of corruption would occasion, constant fires were kept burning; hence, hell, the fires of Tartarus, the place of punishment in Hades, Mt. 5:22, 29, 30; 10:28; 18:9, et al. hell.

Matt. 5:22 “But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be 1guilty before athe court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘2You good-for-nothing,’ shall be 1guilty before 3bthe supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be 1guilty enough to go into the 4cfiery hell.

Matt. 5:29 aIf your right eye makes you 1stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you 2to lose one of the parts of your body, 3than for your whole body to be thrown into 4bhell. 30 aIf your right hand makes you 1stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you 2to lose one of the parts of your body, 3than for your whole body to go into 4bhell.

Matt. 10:28 “Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather afear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in 1bhell.

Matt. 18:9 aIf your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than 1to have two eyes and be cast into the 2bfiery hell.

Matt. 23:15   “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one 1aproselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of 2bhell as yourselves.

Matt. 23:33 “You serpents, ayou brood of vipers, how 1will you escape the 2sentence of 3bhell?

Mark 9:43 aIf your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into 1bhell, into the cunquenchable fire,

Mark 9:45 “If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into 1ahell,

Mark 9:47 aIf your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into 1bhell,

Luke 12:5 “But I will 1warn you whom to fear: afear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into 2bhell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!

James 3:6 And athe tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which bdefiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our 1life, and is set on fire by 2chell.

The word translated in 2 Peter below as ‘hell’ is not correct. It is the word ‘tartaroo’ as shown below.

5020. ταρταρόω; tartaroō, tartarō: 1 aorist participle tartarōsas; (tartaros, the name of a subterranean region, doleful and dark, regarded by the ancient Greeks as the abode of the wicked dead, where they suffer punishment for their evil deeds; it answers to the Gehenna of the Jews, see gēnna); to thrust down to Tartarus (sometimes in the Scholiasts) (cf. Winer’s Grammar, 25 (24) n.); to hold captive in Tartarus: tina seirais (which see) sofou, 2 Pet. 2:4 (A.V. cast down to hell (making the dative depend on paredōken)).*

2Pet. 2:4   For aif God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and bcommitted them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;

The word ‘pit’ shows up in the NT in Revelation 9:1 and is translated from the original word frear.

5421. φρέαρ; frear, frearatos, to, from the Homer hymn Cer. 99 and Herodotus 6, 119 down; the Septuagint for bĕʾēr and (in 1 Sam. 19:22; 2 Sam. 3:26; Jer. 48:7,9 (Jer. 41:7,9) bôr (a pit, cistern), a well: Luke 14:5; John 4:11f; frear tēs abussou, the pit of the abyss (because the nether world is thought to increase in size the further it extends from the surface of the earth and so to resemble a cistern, the orifice of which is narrow), Rev. 9:1f.*

Rev. 9:1   Then the afifth angel sounded, and I saw a bstar from heaven which had fallen to the earth; and the ckey of the 1dbottomless pit was given to him. 2 He opened the 1bottomless pit, and asmoke went up out of the pit, like the smoke of a great furnace; and bthe sun and the air were darkened by the smoke of the pit.

Perish used 22 times in the NT

Mounce Greek Dictionary (Greek Entry)

GK G660 | S G622   ἀπόλλυμι   apollymi   90x  

to destroy utterly; to kill, Mt. 2:13; to bring to nought, make void, 1 Cor. 1:19; to lose, be deprived of, Mt. 10:42; to be destroyed, perish, Mt. 9:17; to be put to death, to die, Mt. 26:52; to be lost, to stray, Mt. 10:6 destroy; lose; perish.

Matt. 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Matt. 8:25 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!”

Matt. 8:32   And He said to them, “Go.” So when they had come out, they went into the herd of swine. And suddenly the whole herd of swine ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and perished in the water.

Matt. 18:14 Even so it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.

Matt. 26:52   But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

Mark 4:38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”

Luke 8:24 And they came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!”

Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was a calm.

Luke 11:51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah who perished between the altar and the temple. Yes, I say to you, it shall be required of this generation.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.

Luke 13:5 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

Luke 13:33 Nevertheless I must journey today, tomorrow, and the day following; for it cannot be that a prophet should perish outside of Jerusalem.

Luke 15:17   “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

John 3:15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 6:27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

John 10:28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

John 11:50 nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish.”

Acts 5:37 After this man, Judas of Galilee rose up in the days of the census, and drew away many people after him. He also perished, and all who obeyed him were dispersed.

Acts 8:20   But Peter said to him, “Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money!

Acts 13:41 “Behold, you despisers,

Marvel and perish!

For I work a work in your days,

A work which you will by no means believe,

Though one were to declare it to you.’ ”

Rom. 2:12   For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law

1Cor. 1:18   For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

1Cor. 8:11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

1Cor. 15:18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

2Cor. 2:15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

2Cor. 4:3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,

2Cor. 4:16   Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.

Col. 2:22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men?

2Th. 2:10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Heb. 1:11 They will perish, but You remain;

And they will all grow old like a garment;

Heb. 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.

James 1:11 For no sooner has the sun risen with a burning heat than it withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beautiful appearance perishes. So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits.

1Pet. 1:7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,

2Pet. 2:12   But these, like natural brute beasts made to be caught and destroyed, speak evil of the things they do not understand, and will utterly perish in their own corruption,

2Pet. 3:6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.

2Pet. 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Jude 11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.

Destroy used 36 times in the NT.

Thayer (Greek Entry)

2647. καταλύω; kataluō; future katalusō; 1 aorist katelusa; 1 aorist passive kateluthēn; 1 future passive 3 person singular kataluthēsetai; to dissolve, disunite (see, III. 4); a. (what has been joined together) equivalent to to destroy, demolish: lithous (A.V. throw down),

Matt. 2:13   Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him.”

Matt. 5:17   “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Matt. 6:19   “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;

Matt. 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matt. 12:14 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him, how they might destroy Him.

Matt. 21:41   They said to Him, “He will destroy those wicked men miserably, and lease his vineyard to other vinedressers who will render to him the fruits in their seasons.”

Matt. 26:61 and said, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and to build it in three days.’ ”

Matt. 27:20   But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitudes that they should ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus.

Matt. 27:40 and saying, “You who destroy the temple and build it in three days, save Yourself! If You are the Son of God, come down from the cross.”

Mark 1:24 saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!”

Mark 3:6 Then the Pharisees went out and immediately plotted with the Herodians against Him, how they might destroy Him.

Mark 9:22 And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”

Mark 11:18   And the scribes and chief priests heard it and sought how they might destroy Him; for they feared Him, because all the people were astonished at His teaching.

Mark 12:9   “Therefore what will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the vinedressers, and give the vineyard to others.

Mark 14:58 “We heard Him say, ‘I will destroy this temple made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.’ ”

Mark 15:29   And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads and saying, “Aha! You who destroy the temple and build it in three days,

Luke 4:34 saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!”

Luke 6:9 Then Jesus said to them, “I will ask you one thing: Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy?”

Luke 9:56 For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” And they went to another village.

Luke 19:47   And He was teaching daily in the temple. But the chief priests, the scribes, and the leaders of the people sought to destroy Him,

Luke 20:16 He will come and destroy those vinedressers and give the vineyard to others.”

And when they heard it they said, “Certainly not!”

John 2:19   Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

John 10:10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Acts 6:14 for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs which Moses delivered to us.”

Rom. 14:15 Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died.

Rom. 14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense.

1Cor. 1:19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,

And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”

1Cor. 3:17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

1Cor. 6:13 Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.

Gal. 1:13   For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it.

Gal. 1:23 But they were hearing only, “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy.”

2Th. 2:8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.

Heb. 2:14   Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,

James 4:12 There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another?

1John 3:8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Rev. 11:18 The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come,

And the time of the dead, that they should be judged,

And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints,

And those who fear Your name, small and great,

And should destroy those who destroy the earth.”

2 hours ago, Alive said:

This had been done more than once--I think in this thread and another. Every single verse in old and new. Hell, Sheol, grave, destroy and perish.

It didn't make a dent for some.

The word ‘Sheol’ is mentioned 65 times in the Old Testament. If you search for it in the KJV, you won’t find it at all. The actual word sheol is translated incorrectly to ‘hell’ 54 times.

And the remaining 11 times as either grave or pit. The actual word in the original each time is ‘sheol’.

vְאוֹל (šᵉʾôl), Sheol, netherworld (H8619).

Shalom, Alive.

Hmmm.... 

First, let me thank you for your prolific work; HOWEVER, for whatever reason or reasons, your Hebrew word for "sh'owl" was wrong all over! First, the Strong's number is H5769, not "H8619." :confused:

Second, the Hebrew lettering you show at the beginning of the line is "`ayin-vav with cholem-lamed-qamets-'v'." My guess is that the "v" would be transliterated as a Hebrew "mem sofit" or an ending "mem," had it been recognized by the font translator. Together, these letters spell the word "`olaam," which means "concealed," whether in the past or in the future. Furthermore, that word is not associated with H8619, either! It's the OT number H7585, instead! Here are the entries:

H5769 `owlaam (o-lawm') (sheh-ole'). Or lee`owlaam {lay-o-lawm'} [to-the-concealed]; from `aalam [to conceal]; properly, concealed, i.e. The vanishing point; generally, time out of mind (past or future), i.e. (practically) eternity; frequentatively, adverbial (especially with prepositional prefix) always
-- alway(-s), ancient (time), any more, continuance, eternal, (for, (n-))ever(-lasting, -more, of old), lasting, long (time), (of) old (time), perpetual, at any time, (beginning of the) world (+ without end). Compare netsach, ad.

H7585 sh'owl (sheh-ole'). Or sh'ol {sheh-ole'}; from shaa'al; Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates
-- grave, hell, pit.

H8619 taaqowa` From taaqa` (in the musical sense); a trumpet -- trumpet.

(Actually, it's a "blast" ON a "shofar," a ram's horn "trumpet.")

2 hours ago, Alive said:

ANE Sum./Akk. attest šuʾāru or a proposed šuʾālû (cf. AHw, 1255b), but most scholars reject any connection between them and Heb. שְׁאוֹל (Heidel, The Gilgamesh Epic, 173). Inasmuch as the lexeme occurs nowhere else in ancient Sem. texts, it seems clear so far that the term is a Heb. isogloss.

OT This term for the abode of the dead occurs 65x in the Heb. OT, 61x rendered ᾅδης (G87) in LXX and 61x infernum or inferi in Vg. All attempts to recover its etymology have failed (cf. HALAT 1274). Its collocation with ‏אֲבַדֹּה‎ / ‏עֲבַדּוֹן‎ (Prov 27:20; 15:11) and parallelism with ‏בּוֹר‎ (Isa 14:15) and ‏מָוֶת‎ (Ps 89:48 [49]; Prov 5:5; 7:27; Song of Songs 8:6) make it clear that ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ designates both the grave and the netherworld, particularly the latter. It is a favorite term in poetry and Wisdom literature (35x) and occurs several times in both Isaiah (9x) and Ezekiel (5x) as well.

1. Fundamentally, ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ is a place, one beneath the earth’s surface to which people descend at death (Gen 37:35; Job 7:9; Ezek 31:15, 17; 32:27) or even while still alive (Num 16:33; Ps 55:15 [16]). The common use of ‏יָרַד‎ with the hi. suggests that people go to ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ also against their will; they are brought down to that place (Gen 42:38; 44:29, 31; 1 Sam 2:6; 1 Kgs 2:6, 9; Ezek 31:16). Ultimately it is Yahweh who causes them to go down, but he also has it in his power to bring them forth again (1 Sam 2:6; cf. Isa 26:19). Whether the grave or the netherworld is in view, ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ speaks of the deepest depths, the antithesis of the highest heavens (Job 11:8; cf. Prov 9:18). Like ‏מָוֶת‎ it is a dwelling place, one approached through gates and covered everywhere with dust (Job 17:16; Isa 38:10).

2. As a personification, ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ is a fearsome enemy. With ropes (2 Sam 22:6 = Ps 18:4 [5]) it drags its victims down (Job 24:19) into its very mouth (Ps 141:7). It is a cruel despot (Song of Songs 8:6), capable of carrying out its evil designs because of its irresistible power (Ps 89:48 [49]). Jonah, though in the belly of the fish, metaphorically saw himself also to be in the belly of Sheol (Jonah 2:2 [3]).

3. God cannot be frustrated by ‏שְׁאוֹל‎, however, but is able to direct the wise away from it (Prov 15:24) and to deliver his saints from its maraudings (Ps 86:13). It  [Vol. 4, p. 7]  may take discipline to steer the recalcitrant child from heading to ‏שְׁאוֹל‎ (Prov 23:14), but even those who end up there have the hope of being redeemed (‏פָּדָה‎ H7009) from its grasp and brought back to life (Ps 49:15 [16]).

4. The most elaborate OT descriptions of the netherworld appear in Isaiah and Ezekiel. Isaiah, speaking of the king of Babylon in the guise of Helel ben Shacher, prophesies his fall from the heights to the depths, to Sheol (Isa 14:15 || ‏בּוֹר‎). There the occupants will marvel at his radical reversal of fortune (vv. 16–18). Ezekiel condemns Pharaoh in a similar manner, consigning him to Sheol, the place of the pit (‏בּוֹר‎) and the lowest parts of earth (‏אֶרֶץ תַּחְתִּית‎, Ezek 31:16). It is the realm of the uncircumcised (v. 18), a way of describing Gentile sinners especially (cf. 32:21). The dead there have an existence of some kind, though their description as “shades” (‏רְפָאִים) (Isa 14:9) makes it clear that theirs is a weak and unrewarding style of life (14:10). There is no hope of deliverance from Sheol or the grave unless God himself should graciously intervene, a possibility hinted at here and there in the OT record (Ps 16:10; 49:15 [16]; 56:13 [14]; 86:13). Full assurance of victory over Sheol must await the revelation of the NT witness (1 Cor 15:50–58).

Gen. 37:35 Then all his sons and all his daughters arose to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. And he said, “Surely I will ago down to Sheol in mourning for my son.” So his father wept for him.

Gen. 42:38 But 1Jacob said, “My son shall not go down with you; for his abrother is dead, and he alone is left. bIf harm should befall him on the journey 2you are taking, then you will cbring my gray hair down to Sheol in sorrow.”

Gen. 44:29 ‘If you take this one also from 1me, and harm befalls him, you will abring my gray hair down to Sheol in 2sorrow.’

Gen. 44:31 when he sees that the lad is not with us, he will die. Thus your servants will abring the gray hair of your servant our father down to Sheol in sorrow.

Num. 16:30 “But aif the LORD 1brings about an entirely new thing and the ground opens its mouth and swallows them up with all that is theirs, and they bdescend alive into 2Sheol, then you will understand that these men have spurned the LORD.”

Num. 16:33 So they and all that belonged to them went down alive to 1Sheol; and the earth closed over them, and they perished from the midst of the assembly.

Deut. 32:22  aFor a fire is kindled in My anger,

And burns to the lowest part of 1Sheol,

bAnd consumes the earth with its yield,

And sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.

1Sam. 2:6  aThe LORD kills and makes alive;

bHe brings down to 1Sheol and raises up.

2Sam. 22:6  aThe cords of 1Sheol surrounded me;

1Kings 2:6aSo act according to your wisdom, and do not let his gray hair go down to 1Sheol in peace.

1Kings 2:9 “Now therefore, do not let him go unpunished, afor you are a wise man; and you will know what you ought to do to him, and you will bring his gray hair down to 1Sheol with blood.”

Job 7:9  “When a acloud vanishes, it is gone,

So bhe who goes down to cSheol does not come up.

Job 11:8  “They are ahigh as 1the heavens, what can you do?

Deeper than 2bSheol, what can you know?

Job 14:13    “Oh that You would hide me in 1Sheol,

That You would conceal me auntil Your wrath returns to You,

That You would set a limit for me and remember me!

Job 17:13  “If I look for aSheol as my home,

I 1make my bed in the darkness;

Job 17:16  1Will it go down with me to Sheol?

Shall we together ago down into the dust?”

Job 21:13  “They aspend their days in prosperity,

And 1suddenly they go down to 2Sheol.

Job 24:19  “Drought and heat 1aconsume the snow waters,

So does 2bSheol those who have sinned.

Job 26:6  “Naked is 1aSheol before Him,

And 2bAbaddon has no covering.

Job 33:18  He akeeps back his soul from the pit,

And his life from 1passing over binto Sheol.

Psa. 6:5  For athere is no 1mention of You in death;

In 2Sheol who will give You thanks?

Psa. 9:17    The wicked will 1areturn to 2Sheol,

Even all the nations who bforget God.

Psa. 16:10  For You awill not abandon my soul to 1Sheol;

Nor will You 2ballow Your 3Holy One to 4undergo decay.

Psa. 18:5  The acords of 1Sheol surrounded me;

Psa. 30:3  O LORD, You have abrought up my soul from 1Sheol;

You have kept me alive, 2that I would not bgo down to the pit.

Psa. 31:17  Let me not be aput to shame, O LORD, for I call upon You;

Let the bwicked be put to shame, let them cbe silent in 1Sheol.

Psa. 49:14  As sheep they are appointed afor 1Sheol;

Death shall be their shepherd;

And the bupright shall rule over them in the morning,

And their form shall be for 1Sheol cto consume

2So that they have no habitation.

15  But God will aredeem my soul from the 1power of 2Sheol,

For bHe will receive me.  Selah.

Psa. 55:15  Let 1death come adeceitfully upon them;

Let them bgo down alive to 2Sheol,

For evil is in their dwelling, in their midst.

Psa. 86:13  For Your lovingkindness toward me is great,

And You have adelivered my soul from the 1depths of 2Sheol.

Psa. 88:3  For my asoul has 1had enough troubles,

And bmy life has drawn near to 2Sheol.

Psa. 89:48  What man can live and not asee death?

Can he bdeliver his soul from the 1power of 2Sheol?  Selah.

Psa. 116:3  The acords of death encompassed me

And the 1terrors of 2Sheol 3came upon me;

I found distress and sorrow.

Psa. 139:8  aIf I ascend to heaven, You are there;

If I make my bed in 1Sheol, behold, bYou are there.

Psa. 141:7  As when one aplows and breaks open the earth,

Our bbones have been scattered at the cmouth of 1Sheol.

Prov. 1:12  Let us aswallow them alive like Sheol,

Even whole, as those who bgo down to the pit;

Prov. 5:5  Her feet ago down to death,

Her steps take hold of Sheol.

Prov. 7:27  Her ahouse is the way to Sheol,

Descending to the chambers of death.

Prov. 9:18  But he does not know that the 1dead are there,

That her guests are in the adepths of Sheol.

Prov. 15:11  1aSheol and 2Abaddon lie open before the LORD,

How much more the bhearts of 3men!

Prov. 15:24  The apath of life leads upward for the wise

That he may keep away from 1Sheol below.

Prov. 23:14  You shall 1strike him with the rod

And arescue his soul from Sheol.

Prov. 27:20  1aSheol and 2Abaddon are bnever satisfied,

Nor are the ceyes of man ever satisfied.

Prov. 30:16  1aSheol, and the bbarren womb,

Earth that is never satisfied with water,

And fire that never says, “Enough.”

Eccl. 9:10   Whatever your hand finds to do, ado it with all your might; for there is no bactivity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in cSheol where you are going.

Song 8:6  “Put me like a 1seal over your heart,

Like a aseal on your arm.

For love is as strong as death,

2bJealousy is as severe as Sheol;

Its flashes are flashes of fire,

3The very flame of the LORD.

Is. 5:14  Therefore aSheol has enlarged its 1throat and opened its mouth without measure;

And 2Jerusalem’s splendor, her multitude, her din of revelry and the jubilant within her, descend into it.

Is. 7:11 “Ask a asign for yourself from the LORD your God; 1make it deep as Sheol or high as 2heaven.”

Is. 14:9  aSheol from beneath is excited over you to meet you when you come;

It arouses for you the 1spirits of the dead, all the 2leaders of the earth;

It raises all the kings of the nations from their thrones.

Is. 14:11  ‘Your apomp and the music of your harps

Have been brought down to Sheol;

Maggots are spread out as your bed beneath you

And worms are your covering.’

Is. 14:15  “Nevertheless you awill be thrust down to Sheol,

To the recesses of the pit.

Is. 28:15  Because you have said, “We have made a acovenant with death,

And with 1Sheol we have made a 2pact.

bThe overwhelming 3scourge will not reach us when it passes by,

For we have made cfalsehood our refuge and we have dconcealed ourselves with deception.”

Is. 28:18  “Your acovenant with death will be 1bcanceled,

And your pact with Sheol will not stand;

When the aoverwhelming scourge passes through,

Then you become its ctrampling place.

Is. 38:10  I said, “aIn the middle of my 1life

I am to enter the bgates of Sheol;

I am to be cdeprived of the rest of my years.”

Is. 38:18  “For aSheol cannot thank You,

Death cannot praise You;

Those who go down bto the pit cannot hope for Your faithfulness.

Is. 57:9  “You have journeyed to the king with oil

And increased your perfumes;

You have asent your envoys a great distance

And made them go down to 1Sheol.

Ezek. 31:15   ‘Thus says the Lord GOD, “On the day when it went down to Sheol I acaused lamentations; I closed the 1deep over it and held back its rivers. And its many waters were stopped up, and I made Lebanon 2mourn for it, and all the trees of the field wilted away on account of it. 16 “I made the nations aquake at the sound of its fall when I made it bgo down to Sheol with those who go down to the pit; and all the 1well-watered trees of Eden, the choicest and best of cLebanon, were dcomforted in the earth beneath. 17 “They also awent down with it to Sheol to those who were bslain by the sword; and those who were its 1strength lived cunder its shade among the nations.

Ezek. 32:21 “The astrong among the mighty ones shall speak of him and his helpers from the midst of Sheol, ‘They have gone down, they lie still, the uncircumcised, slain by the sword.’

Ezek. 32:27aNor do they lie beside the fallen 1bheroes of the uncircumcised, who went down to Sheol with their weapons of war and whose swords were laid under their heads; but the punishment for their ciniquity rested on their bones, though the terror of these 1heroes was once in the land of the living.

Hos. 13:14  Shall I aransom them from the 1power of Sheol?

Shall I redeem them from death?

bO Death, where are your thorns?

O Sheol, where is your sting?

cCompassion will be hidden from My sight.

Amos 9:2  “Though they dig into aSheol,

From there will My hand take them;

And though they bascend to heaven,

From there will I bring them down.

Jonah 2:2  and he said,

“I acalled out of my distress to the LORD,

And He answered me.

I cried for help from the 1depth of bSheol;

You heard my voice.

Hab. 2:5  “Furthermore, awine betrays the bhaughty man,

So that he does not cstay at home.

He denlarges his appetite like Sheol,

And he is like death, never satisfied.

He also gathers to himself all nations

And collects to himself all peoples.

The word Gehenna in the New Testament is translated as ‘hell’ 12 times. This is incorrect as it should be tranlated correctly as the ‘valley of the sons of Hinnom’.

1067. γέεννα; gēnna (others would accent gēnna, deriving it through the Chaldee. In Mark 9:45 Rec.st gēna), gēnēs (Buttmann, 17 (15)), hē, (from gê hinnom, Neh. 11:30; more fully gê ben hinnom, Josh. 15:8; 18:16; 2 Chr. 28:3; Jer. 7:32; gê bĕnê hinnom, 2 Kings 23:10 Kethibh; Chaldean gĕhinām, the valley of the son of lamentation, or of the sons of lamentation, the valley of lamentation, hinnom being used for nihom lamentation; see Hiller, Onomasticum; cf. Hitzig (and Graf) on Jer. 7:31; (Böttcher, De Inferis, i., p. 82ff); accusative to the common opinion hinnom is the name of a man), Gehenna, the name of a valley on the south and east of Jerusalem (yet apparently beginning on the Winer’s Grammar, cf. Josh. 15:8; Pressel in Herzog, under the word), which was so called from the cries of the little children who were thrown into the fiery arms of Moloch (which see), i.e. of an idol having the form of a bull. The Jews so abhorred the place after these horrible sacrifices had been abolished by king Josiah (2 Kings 23:10), that they cast into it not only all manner of refuse, but even the dead bodies of animals and of unburied criminals who had been executed. And since fires were always needed to consume the dead bodies, that the air might not become tainted by the putrefaction, it came to pass that the place was called gēnna tou puros (this common explanation of the descriptive genitive tou puros is found in Rabbi David Kimchi (fl. circa A. D. 1200) on Ps. 27:13. Some suppose the genitive to refer not to purifying fires but to the fires of Moloch; others regard it as the natural symbol of penalty (cf. Lev. 10:2; Num. 16:35; 2 Kings 1; Ps. 11:6; also Matt. 3:11; 13:42; 2 Thess. 1:8, etc.). See Böttcher, as above, p. 84; Meyer (Thol.) Wetstein (1752) on Matt. 5:22); and then this name was transferred to that place in Hades where the wicked after death will suffer punishment: Matt. 5:22,29f; 10:28; Luke 12:5; Mark 9:43,45; James 3:6; gēnna tou puros, Matt. 5:22; 18:9; Mark 9:47 (R G Tr marginal reading brackets); krisis tēs gēnnēs, Matt. 23:33; huios tēs gēnnēs, worthy of punishment in Gehenna, Matt. 23:15. Further, cf. Dillmann, Buch Henoch, 27, 1f, p. 131f; (B. D. American edition; Böttcher, as above, p. 80ff; Hamburger, Real-Encycl., Abth. I. under the word Hölle; Bartlett, Life and Death eternal, Appendix H.).*

GK G1147 | S G1067   γέεννα   geenna   12x  

Gehenna, pr. the valley of Hinnom, south of Jerusalem, once celebrated for the horrid worship of Moloch, and afterwards polluted with every species of filth, as well as the carcasses of animals, and dead bodies of malefactors; to consume which, in order to avert the pestilence which such a mass of corruption would occasion, constant fires were kept burning; hence, hell, the fires of Tartarus, the place of punishment in Hades, Mt. 5:22, 29, 30; 10:28; 18:9, et al. hell.

Matt. 5:22 “But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be 1guilty before athe court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘2You good-for-nothing,’ shall be 1guilty before 3bthe supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be 1guilty enough to go into the 4cfiery hell.

Matt. 5:29 aIf your right eye makes you 1stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you 2to lose one of the parts of your body, 3than for your whole body to be thrown into 4bhell. 30 aIf your right hand makes you 1stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you 2to lose one of the parts of your body, 3than for your whole body to go into 4bhell.

Matt. 10:28 “Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather afear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in 1bhell.

Matt. 18:9 aIf your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than 1to have two eyes and be cast into the 2bfiery hell.

Matt. 23:15   “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one 1aproselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of 2bhell as yourselves.

Matt. 23:33 “You serpents, ayou brood of vipers, how 1will you escape the 2sentence of 3bhell?

Mark 9:43 aIf your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into 1bhell, into the cunquenchable fire,

Mark 9:45 “If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into 1ahell,

Mark 9:47 aIf your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into 1bhell,

Luke 12:5 “But I will 1warn you whom to fear: afear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into 2bhell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!

James 3:6 And athe tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which bdefiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our 1life, and is set on fire by 2chell.

The word translated in 2 Peter below as ‘hell’ is not correct. It is the word ‘tartaroo’ as shown below.

5020. ταρταρόω; tartaroō, tartarō: 1 aorist participle tartarōsas; (tartaros, the name of a subterranean region, doleful and dark, regarded by the ancient Greeks as the abode of the wicked dead, where they suffer punishment for their evil deeds; it answers to the Gehenna of the Jews, see gēnna); to thrust down to Tartarus (sometimes in the Scholiasts) (cf. Winer’s Grammar, 25 (24) n.); to hold captive in Tartarus: tina seirais (which see) sofou, 2 Pet. 2:4 (A.V. cast down to hell (making the dative depend on paredōken)).*

2Pet. 2:4   For aif God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and bcommitted them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;

The word ‘pit’ shows up in the NT in Revelation 9:1 and is translated from the original word frear.

5421. φρέαρ; frear, frearatos, to, from the Homer hymn Cer. 99 and Herodotus 6, 119 down; the Septuagint for bĕʾēr and (in 1 Sam. 19:22; 2 Sam. 3:26; Jer. 48:7,9 (Jer. 41:7,9) bôr (a pit, cistern), a well: Luke 14:5; John 4:11f; frear tēs abussou, the pit of the abyss (because the nether world is thought to increase in size the further it extends from the surface of the earth and so to resemble a cistern, the orifice of which is narrow), Rev. 9:1f.*

Rev. 9:1   Then the afifth angel sounded, and I saw a bstar from heaven which had fallen to the earth; and the ckey of the 1dbottomless pit was given to him. 2 He opened the 1bottomless pit, and asmoke went up out of the pit, like the smoke of a great furnace; and bthe sun and the air were darkened by the smoke of the pit.

Perish used 22 times in the NT

Mounce Greek Dictionary (Greek Entry)

GK G660 | S G622   ἀπόλλυμι   apollymi   90x  

to destroy utterly; to kill, Mt. 2:13; to bring to nought, make void, 1 Cor. 1:19; to lose, be deprived of, Mt. 10:42; to be destroyed, perish, Mt. 9:17; to be put to death, to die, Mt. 26:52; to be lost, to stray, Mt. 10:6 destroy; lose; perish.

Matt. 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Matt. 8:25 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!”

Matt. 8:32   And He said to them, “Go.” So when they had come out, they went into the herd of swine. And suddenly the whole herd of swine ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and perished in the water.

Matt. 18:14 Even so it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.

Matt. 26:52   But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

Mark 4:38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”

Luke 8:24 And they came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!”

Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was a calm.

Luke 11:51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah who perished between the altar and the temple. Yes, I say to you, it shall be required of this generation.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.

Luke 13:5 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”

Luke 13:33 Nevertheless I must journey today, tomorrow, and the day following; for it cannot be that a prophet should perish outside of Jerusalem.

Luke 15:17   “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

John 3:15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

John 6:27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

John 10:28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

John 11:50 nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish.”

Acts 5:37 After this man, Judas of Galilee rose up in the days of the census, and drew away many people after him. He also perished, and all who obeyed him were dispersed.

Acts 8:20   But Peter said to him, “Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money!

Acts 13:41 “Behold, you despisers,

Marvel and perish!

For I work a work in your days,

A work which you will by no means believe,

Though one were to declare it to you.’ ”

Rom. 2:12   For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law

1Cor. 1:18   For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

1Cor. 8:11 And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

1Cor. 15:18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

2Cor. 2:15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

2Cor. 4:3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,

2Cor. 4:16   Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.

Col. 2:22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men?

2Th. 2:10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Heb. 1:11 They will perish, but You remain;

And they will all grow old like a garment;

Heb. 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.

James 1:11 For no sooner has the sun risen with a burning heat than it withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beautiful appearance perishes. So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits.

1Pet. 1:7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,

2Pet. 2:12   But these, like natural brute beasts made to be caught and destroyed, speak evil of the things they do not understand, and will utterly perish in their own corruption,

2Pet. 3:6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.

2Pet. 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Jude 11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.

Destroy used 36 times in the NT.

Thayer (Greek Entry)

2647. καταλύω; kataluō; future katalusō; 1 aorist katelusa; 1 aorist passive kateluthēn; 1 future passive 3 person singular kataluthēsetai; to dissolve, disunite (see, III. 4); a. (what has been joined together) equivalent to to destroy, demolish: lithous (A.V. throw down),

Matt. 2:13   Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him.”

Matt. 5:17   “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Matt. 6:19   “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;

Matt. 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matt. 12:14 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him, how they might destroy Him.

Matt. 21:41   They said to Him, “He will destroy those wicked men miserably, and lease his vineyard to other vinedressers who will render to him the fruits in their seasons.”

Matt. 26:61 and said, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and to build it in three days.’ ”

Matt. 27:20   But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitudes that they should ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus.

Matt. 27:40 and saying, “You who destroy the temple and build it in three days, save Yourself! If You are the Son of God, come down from the cross.”

Mark 1:24 saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!”

Mark 3:6 Then the Pharisees went out and immediately plotted with the Herodians against Him, how they might destroy Him.

Mark 9:22 And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”

Mark 11:18   And the scribes and chief priests heard it and sought how they might destroy Him; for they feared Him, because all the people were astonished at His teaching.

Mark 12:9   “Therefore what will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the vinedressers, and give the vineyard to others.

Mark 14:58 “We heard Him say, ‘I will destroy this temple made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.’ ”

Mark 15:29   And those who passed by blasphemed Him, wagging their heads and saying, “Aha! You who destroy the temple and build it in three days,

Luke 4:34 saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!”

Luke 6:9 Then Jesus said to them, “I will ask you one thing: Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy?”

Luke 9:56 For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” And they went to another village.

Luke 19:47   And He was teaching daily in the temple. But the chief priests, the scribes, and the leaders of the people sought to destroy Him,

Luke 20:16 He will come and destroy those vinedressers and give the vineyard to others.”

And when they heard it they said, “Certainly not!”

John 2:19   Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

John 10:10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Acts 6:14 for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs which Moses delivered to us.”

Rom. 14:15 Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died.

Rom. 14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense.

1Cor. 1:19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,

And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”

1Cor. 3:17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

1Cor. 6:13 Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.

Gal. 1:13   For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it.

Gal. 1:23 But they were hearing only, “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once tried to destroy.”

2Th. 2:8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.

Heb. 2:14   Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,

James 4:12 There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another?

1John 3:8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Rev. 11:18 The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come,

And the time of the dead, that they should be judged,

And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints,

And those who fear Your name, small and great,

And should destroy those who destroy the earth.”

I concede that you have EXHAUSTED the many words that have been used for "hell," "lake of fire [and brimstone or sulfur]" and the "grave," and "destroy." Thank you for your efforts. Now, we'll begin (but not tonight)....

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I have trusted these sources. As you can see the H8619 is the 'key' number from the NIDOTTE.

I have shown the Strong's entry below.

NIDOTTE (New International Dictionary of OT Theology and Exegesis)

שְׁאוֹל (šᵉʾôl), Sheol, netherworld (H8619).

Kohlenberger/Mounce

GK H8619 | S H7585   שְׁאוֹל   šᵉʾol   65x

n.f. & m. [8615; cf. 8520, 8628]. grave; by extension, realm of death, deepest depths, transliterated “Sheol”. netherworld; Sheol.

Hebrew Strong’s

7585. שְׁאוֹל shʾowl, sheh-ole´; or שְׁאֹל shol, sheh-ole´; from 7592; Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:—grave, hell, pit.

NAS Hebrew Dictionary

7585. שְׁאוֹל sheol or sheol [982d]; of unc. der.; underworld (place to which people descend at death):—Sheol(66).

Brown Driver Briggs

7585. שְׁאוֹל sheol or sheol [982d]; of unc. der.; underworld (place to which people descend at death):—Sheol(66).

Do you have something in your library that disagrees? If so, I would like to learn something new.

Thank you.

Edited by Alive

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 1/2/2020 at 6:20 AM, Sonshine said:

Greetings …  I believe God’s judgment will not happen until after the millennium, at the Great White Throne Judgement.  Those who do not make it will be cast into the Lake of Fire.  The consequences for sin is death, not burning forever and ever.  The wicked will be no more.  They will perish like wax in the fire.  They will cease to exist.

Romans 6:23 King James Version (KJV)

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Psalm 37:9-10 King James Version (KJV)

For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the earth.

10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

Morning there Sonshine!

Well I don't know about that? If I'm understanding your view correctly, I think you're talking about annihilation? Annihilation seems to indicate erasing ones existence; their history, as if one never lived or made everlasting choices. I don't personally view anything in the Bible that suggests removing a person as if they never existed? 

My personal view is; angels and humanity were created eternal, meaning their spirit / soul will continue on forever in one of two places after the Great White Throne Judgment. I see the Bible as teaching 'eternal' punishment for Satan and his minions, and humanity that will join them whom rejected the free gift of eternal Salvation through Jesus Christ our Lord. 

Another thing speaking about the compartments under the earth I find interesting [Gehenna, Sheol, Hell, Hades, the Bottomless Pit]. I'm thinking the words are not used interchangeably, but different levels of temporary punishment and suffering, sort of like a jail with different levels of confinement and sufferings. We think we know the deeper into earth one gets, the hotter and more pressure there is. 

The ultimate temporary confinement and security has to be the bottomless pit, that seems to be the center of the earth. In the center of the earth there is no bottom, only up. It's interesting to contemplate these places have entrances, bars and gates.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

19 hours ago, Sonshine said:

Good afternoon there, Dennis :) This is not my view, it’s Father’s view.

Consider yet one more scripture.  Who is the only one that can kill our soul in the Lake of Fire?  It’s our Father.  If you will look up the word “destroy” in the Greek dictionary, the word is “apolesai” and in the Strong’s, note the meaning:

Strong's Concordance
apollumi: to destroy, destroy utterly

Original Word: ἀπόλλυμι
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: apollumi
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-ol'-loo-mee)
Definition: to destroy, destroy utterly
Usage: (a) I kill, destroy, (b) I lose, mid: I am perishing (the resultant death being viewed as certain).

Matthew 10:28 

28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in [a]hell.

Waz up Sonshine!

Like a number of subjects and topics in the Bible, my hermeneutic view is not set in concrete and is open for discussion. That's one way we learn, or at a minimum understand opposing views of scripture. Yes I agree with the meaning of apokteínō, but it doesn't convey the idea of annihilation [never was, is not , nor will ever be] to me anyway? 

Another thought? Are we triune beings; consisting of body, soul and spirit? Some suggest our soul and spirit are one and the same and used interchangeably. My personal belief is; we consist of body, soul and spirit. The soul is who we are; our personality, characteristics, traits, emotions, likes, dislikes, etc., what makes us... us. As you pointed out above from Matthew 10:28 with the Greek meaning of the word destroy, apóllymi. Strong's doesn't give the most descriptive detail as does other Greek word studies such as Zodhiates. The word 'destroy' means; to perish, destruction, bring to naught, render void, put to death, sentence to death, eternal death, exclusion from Messiah's kingdom, the second death, opposite of eternal life, to be deprived of vs. reward, it must not be thought of as extinction, but only change from one state of being to another.

Matthew 25:46 (KJV) And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. [emphasis added]

So in summary, I'll quote my wife; "Dennis, it's complicated, you don't understand"  :D