ItsJustDeep

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23 KJV 

Can anyone enlighten me on why we don't use the name?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 minutes ago, Deeplytroubled said:

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23 KJV 

Hi.

It wasn't meant to be used literally as a personal name, rather a prophetic description to be fulfilled at His birth and thereafter. It is often used in my circles with reference to Jesus when theology and prophecy is being discussed. In the same way I might be called Longbeard because I fulfill that description. 

Ironically you have chosen to be called Deeplytroubled...:beehive: 

It's the only state of emotion I felt when making this user to be honest.

But to your response, why is not literal? For myself, I never got that interpretation..just struck me as odd.

It is the prophecy of a baby born to a virgin which was literal, right? So why isnt it the same with the name? 

Scripture would be helpful. Thanks

Edited by Deeplytroubled

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

6 minutes ago, Deeplytroubled said:

It's the only state of emotion I felt when making this user to be honest.

But to your response, why is not literal? For myself, I never got that interpretation..just struck me as odd.

It is the prophecy of a baby born to a virgin which was literal, right? So why isnt it the same with the name? 

Scripture would be helpful. Thanks

Your NT reference in Matthew 1:23 is when the angel of the Lord, speaking to Joseph in a dream, cites the OT prophecy below to give Joseph confidence that everything is happening according to God's Plan.

Isa 7:13-16
(13)  And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
(14)  Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
(15)  Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
(16)  For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

Notice that in Isaiah it is the virgin, singular, His mother that is the one using the name Immanuel, and this is still the case in Matthew even though the angel that is speaking rephrases the prophesy with the word they (still referring to His virgin mother) and the NT translation goes with the Greek form of Emmanuel in place of the Hebrew form of Immanuel.  

Joseph has already been told that he was to call Mary's Son Jesus, and this he does. There is really nothing to be troubled about.

Mat 1:20-21
(20)  But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
(21)  And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Thank you. Maybe I COULD have bible app checked this first ?correction from a brother with the word is just as nice. Last verse is what I didn't get to yet..still on exodus. Pray I get through this bible..thanks again.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, Deeplytroubled said:

Look at the context - read on in the Tanakh. It was just a verse plucked by an inspired writer to make a point. Just like the 'out of Egypt' quote - inspired and out of its original context.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, 

I guess I could call my Lord and savior Second Adam or any number of descriptive terms for my Lord and savior Jesus.

From Isaiah comes many descriptive variants  of who Jesus would be, but they are not given names as much as they are titles all correct and encompassed in the name most of us use in English Jesus or Yeshua. One can make a case  I suppose for Joshua or even Pele-joez-el-gibbor-abi-ad-sar-shalom  .

There are various sacred name movements that make it their cause to know a  one correct name of our Lord. 

I call my Lord Jesus, some call him Yeshua, yet others Joshua. Some think they cannot pronounce his name nor His Father's therefore they  eliminate vowels in the English  language representation to leave only consonants to represent what they might not speak because it is too holy.  

My lord and savior Jesus is the Immanuel of Isaiah's prophecy too. I think it more important to surrender  to my Lord and give praise to Him  for His sacrifice at the Cross where a sign was hung over him mocking his Lordship in three languages than it is for me to try to present that my name for my Lord is his only correct name.

..."Pilate also wrote an inscription and put it on the cross. It read, “Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews.”  Many of the Jews read this inscription, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and it was written in Aramaic, in Latin, and in Greek.  So the chief priests of the Jews said to Pilate, “Do not write, ‘The King of the Jews,’ but rather, ‘This man said, I am King of the Jews.’”  Pilate answered, “What I have written I have written.”- From  the book of John

----------------------

When one looks at Isaiah  come up with a name or "the name" I think they might also want to look at Isaiah 9:6 as well as looking at Isaiah 7:14

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel ( meaning God is with us).

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
    and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

-------------

Enjoy your studies, and have fun here too!

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.42

2 hours ago, Deeplytroubled said:

Emmanuel means "God With us". When Jesus Came he Being God incarnate was With us, and He remains with Us through His Spirit that resides in us, who receive his gift of salvation via the cross. The Name is thus symbolic of Jesus. He is our Emmanuel!:amen: 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Deeplytroubled said:

Hello deeply troubled, 

Emmanuel was the name Isaiah described as who Jesus was, the messiah, Emmanuel, God with us.This wasn't the actual name given to Christ.

We are taught by Jesus to use his name, the name given to him was Jesus.: 

Matthew 1:21 

She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”

Philippians 2:9-11 

Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father

Acts 4:12And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

John 14:13 

Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

All authority is given me in heaven and in earth, Go ye therefore.

And these signs shall follow them that believe; IN MY NAME shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.....

Hope this helps, God bless ?

Definitely has. Crystal clear on the subject. Thanks again. 

• Thumbs Up 1