• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Rightly dividing the word of Truth and contending for the Faith

Please understand that it is not my intention nor desire to demean those who believe women should not have to wear a veil during prayer while in corporate worship, in any way. I am aware that many who believe this doctrine may be better Christians than I am in many ways.

Yet, if I were to say to you that half a chapter of Holy Scripture was “incidental” what would you think? By what authority would I have to dismiss half a chapter of the Word of God?

Why is 1 Corinthians 11 1-16 important to us today? Why is it so commonly ignored by the Churches and not followed by the majority of today’s Christian women? 

In 1 Corinthians 1:1-3 we read: Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God. That is a very impressive credential in his opening statement and all scripture he writes should be considered authoritative.

Let me first say that we live at a time when it is unpopular to confront others for immoral or improper actions and words. The popular belief of today is that everyone should be able to do their own thing, and others have no right to “judge” or correct them. What a mess this idea has created in our society and in our churches.

Sadly, many Christians have embraced this complacent attitude toward correcting others, and, as a result, sin and false doctrine in the church are seldom confronted and curbed.

However, the Bible tells us that:

2 Tim. 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 Tim. 4:1-2
1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:
2 Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage — with great patience and careful instruction.

God tells us that His Word is not only to be used to teach and encourage, but also to “correct” and “rebuke.” And in 2 Timothy 4: 3, He tells us why we must be faithful to use His Word to correct others who are in the wrong:

2 Tim. 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

This prophetic writing began its fulfillment shortly after it was penned and has escalated to what is happening in churches today. There are presently a great number of teachers willing to say what itching ears want to hear, instead of telling the truth as revealed in God’s Word.

However, many who embrace certain views about doctrine inevitably end up altering the clear meaning of passages that contradict what they believe. And as a result, they pass their tainted understanding of the Scriptures on to those they share with. Sadly, this in turn distorts other people’s knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word. Why does it matter? Because this is very serious. That is why God urges us to contend for the faith:

Phil. 1:27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel…

Jude 3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.

Below we come to the periscope in question. Let us read it plainly as it is written.

1 Corinthians 11:1-16 (KJV)
1  Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2  Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3  But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4  Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5  But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6  For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
7  For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8  For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9   Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
10  For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
11  Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
12  For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
13  Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
14  Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15  But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
16  But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Two points seem to be the most significant:
(1) No word for veil occurs in vv 2-14. Thus, that the hair is regarded by Paul as a veil in v 15 is not necessarily an argument that the hair is the same as the head covering that he is describing in these verses.
(2) Throughout this periscope, Paul points out the similarities of long hair with a head covering. But his doing so strongly suggests that the two are not to be identified. Precisely because they are similar, they are not identical.

Note the following verses.

11:5-- “but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered disgraces her head--it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved.”
11:6-- “For if a woman will not cover herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should keep it covered.
11:7-- “For a man ought not to cover his head . . .”
11:10-- “For this reason a woman ought to have [a symbol of] authority on her head”
11:13-- “Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?”
11:15-- “but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory . . .”

Several points can be made here.
(1) If ‘covering’ = ‘hair,’ then all men should shave their heads or go bald because the men are to have their heads uncovered.
(2) If ‘covering’ = ‘long hair,’ then v 6 seems to suggest a tautology: “if a woman will not wear long hair, then she should cut off her hair.” But this in no way advances the argument.
(3) The argument caves in by its own subtlety. To see ‘hair’ = ‘head covering’ means that one has to go through several exegetical hoops. In short, it hardly appears to be the plain meaning of the text.
(4) Verses 10 and 15 would have to be saying the same thing if long hair is the same as a head covering. But this can hardly be the case. In v 10, a woman is required to wear a ‘symbol of authority.’ Such a symbol represents her submission, not her glory.

To argue, then, that long hair is the woman’s head covering seems to miss the very point of the function of the head covering and of the long hair: one shows her submission while the other shows her glory. Both of these are contrasted with an uncovered head while praying or prophesying, or a shaved head at any time: such would speak of the woman’s humiliation and shame.

So why is any of this important? Why does any of this really matter? It’s all about being in proper fellowship with the Lord! If you are a woman reading this, I strongly urge you to prayerfully seek out the Lord’s guidance. Perhaps you have been attending church for years and this is the first time this has been brought up to you? Given our post-feminist society most Pastors will simply just steer clear of such passages to avoid conflict.

Edited by Servant of the Lord
typos
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

??? 1 CORINTHIANS 11:1 be you therefore followers of me even as I also am of CHRIST

JOHN 12:49 for I have not spoken of myself but THE FATHER which sent ME HE gave ME a commandment what I should say and what I should speak

JOHN 12:50 and I know that HIS commandment is life everlasting whatsoever I speak therefore even as THE FATHER said unto ME so I speak

1 CORINTHIANS 1:10 now I beseech you brethren by the name of our LORD JESUS CHRIST that you all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgement

LOVING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

I believe that Paul was a very wise man, but I don't believe he was always right.

1 hour ago, johnthebaptist said:

I believe that Paul was a very wise man, but I don't believe he was always right.

If this were the case then we would have to conclude that the Bible is not the inerrant Word of GOD.

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)
16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 minutes ago, Servant of the Lord said:

If this were the case then we would have to conclude that the Bible is not the inerrant Word of GOD.

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)
16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Paul was not referring to his own letters.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

22 hours ago, Servant of the Lord said:

Rightly dividing the word of Truth and contending for the Faith

Please understand that it is not my intention nor desire to demean those who believe women should not have to wear a veil during prayer while in corporate worship, in any way. I am aware that many who believe this doctrine may be better Christians than I am in many ways.

Yet, if I were to say to you that half a chapter of Holy Scripture was “incidental” what would you think? By what authority would I have to dismiss half a chapter of the Word of God?

Why is 1 Corinthians 11 1-16 important to us today? Why is it so commonly ignored by the Churches and not followed by the majority of today’s Christian women? 

In 1 Corinthians 1:1-3 we read: Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God. That is a very impressive credential in his opening statement and all scripture he writes should be considered authoritative.

Let me first say that we live at a time when it is unpopular to confront others for immoral or improper actions and words. The popular belief of today is that everyone should be able to do their own thing, and others have no right to “judge” or correct them. What a mess this idea has created in our society and in our churches.

Sadly, many Christians have embraced this complacent attitude toward correcting others, and, as a result, sin and false doctrine in the church are seldom confronted and curbed.

However, the Bible tells us that:

2 Tim. 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 Tim. 4:1-2
1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:
2 Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage — with great patience and careful instruction.

God tells us that His Word is not only to be used to teach and encourage, but also to “correct” and “rebuke.” And in 2 Timothy 4: 3, He tells us why we must be faithful to use His Word to correct others who are in the wrong:

2 Tim. 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

This prophetic writing began its fulfillment shortly after it was penned and has escalated to what is happening in churches today. There are presently a great number of teachers willing to say what itching ears want to hear, instead of telling the truth as revealed in God’s Word.

However, many who embrace certain views about doctrine inevitably end up altering the clear meaning of passages that contradict what they believe. And as a result, they pass their tainted understanding of the Scriptures on to those they share with. Sadly, this in turn distorts other people’s knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word. Why does it matter? Because this is very serious. That is why God urges us to contend for the faith:

Phil. 1:27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel…

Jude 3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.

Below we come to the periscope in question. Let us read it plainly as it is written.

1 Corinthians 11:1-16 (KJV)
1  Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2  Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3  But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4  Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5  But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6  For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
7  For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8  For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9   Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
10  For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
11  Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
12  For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
13  Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
14  Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15  But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
16  But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Two points seem to be the most significant:
(1) No word for veil occurs in vv 2-14. Thus, that the hair is regarded by Paul as a veil in v 15 is not necessarily an argument that the hair is the same as the head covering that he is describing in these verses.
(2) Throughout this periscope, Paul points out the similarities of long hair with a head covering. But his doing so strongly suggests that the two are not to be identified. Precisely because they are similar, they are not identical.

Note the following verses.

11:5-- “but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered disgraces her head--it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved.”
11:6-- “For if a woman will not cover herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should keep it covered.
11:7-- “For a man ought not to cover his head . . .”
11:10-- “For this reason a woman ought to have [a symbol of] authority on her head”
11:13-- “Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?”
11:15-- “but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory . . .”

Several points can be made here.
(1) If ‘covering’ = ‘hair,’ then all men should shave their heads or go bald because the men are to have their heads uncovered.
(2) If ‘covering’ = ‘long hair,’ then v 6 seems to suggest a tautology: “if a woman will not wear long hair, then she should cut off her hair.” But this in no way advances the argument.
(3) The argument caves in by its own subtlety. To see ‘hair’ = ‘head covering’ means that one has to go through several exegetical hoops. In short, it hardly appears to be the plain meaning of the text.
(4) Verses 10 and 15 would have to be saying the same thing if long hair is the same as a head covering. But this can hardly be the case. In v 10, a woman is required to wear a ‘symbol of authority.’ Such a symbol represents her submission, not her glory.

To argue, then, that long hair is the woman’s head covering seems to miss the very point of the function of the head covering and of the long hair: one shows her submission while the other shows her glory. Both of these are contrasted with an uncovered head while praying or prophesying, or a shaved head at any time: such would speak of the woman’s humiliation and shame.

So why is any of this important? Why does any of this really matter? It’s all about being in proper fellowship with the Lord! If you are a woman reading this, I strongly urge you to prayerfully seek out the Lord’s guidance. Perhaps you have been attending church for years and this is the first time this has been brought up to you? Given our post-feminist society most Pastors will simply just steer clear of such passages to avoid conflict.

But we need to consider the context of that time as well....

I mean....

What do we do with 1Pe.5:14?  Are we sinning if we don't KISS others?

Or are we allowed to consider the CONTEXT of that time, as it's obviously DIFFERENT than ours?

But then, how do we make sure we don't "explain away" things which SHOULD apply to us?

We must be careful here....

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, BibleGuy said:

But we need to consider the context of that time as well....

I mean....

What do we do with 1Pe.5:14?  Are we sinning if we don't KISS others?

Or are we allowed to consider the CONTEXT of that time, as it's obviously DIFFERENT than ours?

But then, how do we make sure we don't "explain away" things which SHOULD apply to us?

We must be careful here....

Excellent points raised BibleGuy!

The reason 1 Corinthians 11 1-16 may apply today as much as in Paul's day is that Paul invoked the "divine order," in 1 Corinthians 11:3. In so doing it made this periscope of scripture trans-cultural transcending times and cultures. 

1 Corinthians 11:3 (KJV)

If we read the entire passage it states two reasons it needs to be followed.
1. Honor divine order invoked above.
2. Because of the angels.

1 Corinthians 11:10 (KJV)
10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Perhaps one of the functions of these Angelic beings is to attend services if they so desire where groups of Christians are gathered for (corporate worship). Perhaps they might be reporting back what they see. I personally believe they are present in corporate worship.

What we know about angels they are incredibly holy, intelligent, and extremely powerful. They can take on the other forms such as human; but are spirit beings. They seem to be extremely curious about mankind and our unique relationship toward GOD. They seem to be very curious according to 1 Peter 1:12.

1 Peter 1:12 (KJV)
12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into..

typos

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

2 minutes ago, Servant of the Lord said:

Excellent points raised BibleGuy!

The reason 1 Corinthians 11 1-16 may  apply today as much as in Paul's day is that Paul invoked the "divine order," in 1 Corinthians 11:3. In so doing it made this periscope of scripture trans-cultural transcending times and cultures. 

1 Corinthians 11:3 (KJV)

If we read the entire passage it states two reasons it needs to be followed.

1. Honor divine order invoked above.

2. Because of the angels.

1 Corinthians 11:10 (KJV)
10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Perhaps one of the functions of these Angelic beings is to attend services if they so desire where groups of Christians are gathered for (corporate worship). We concluded that they might be reporting back what they see. I personally believe they are present in corporate worship.

What we know about angels they are incredibly holy, intelligent, and extremely powerful. They can take on the other forms such as human; but are spirit beings. They seem to be extremely curious about mankind and our unique relationship toward GOD. They seem to be very curious according to 1 Peter 1:12.
1 Peter 1:12 (KJV)
12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into..

Yes, divine order is invoked (1Cor.11:3)...but that doesn't prove that additional considerations unique to that context (but distinct from ours) are not also at play.

For example, if many of the 1st-century assemblies were SYNAOGUGES....then the whole female-head-covering issue may be a contextually-unique-to-synagogues consideration....

After all, James assumes that believers are meeting in SYNAGOGUES ("συναγωγή", Jas.2:2), whereas the VAST majority of Christians, today, do NOT meet in synagogues.

That's another reason why the female-head-covering issue might not apply to today's non-synagogue churches.

"Perhaps one of the functions of these Angelic beings is to attend services if they so desire where groups of Christians are gathered for (corporate worship). We concluded that they might be reporting back what they see. I personally believe they are present in corporate worship."

Actually, Timothy Alberino set forth the interesting possibility that women should cover their heads because FALLEN angels are inclined to be attracted to FEMALE BEAUTY (Ge.6:2ff)....and we don't want to encourage another fallen-angel incursion!    (although, the return of the Nephilim appears Scriptural anyway....but hey, we don't want to hasten that awful forthcoming episode...)

"They seem to be very curious according to 1 Peter 1:12."

Yes, 1Pe.1:12 makes me think that angels have their own "worthyangelforums.com" equivalent in the heavenlies....where they consult with one another, seeking to understand and know ever more deeply the things of God!

blessings...

5 minutes ago, BibleGuy said:

Yes, divine order is invoked (1Cor.11:3)...but that doesn't prove that additional considerations unique to that context (but distinct from ours) are not also at play.

For example, if many of the 1st-century assemblies were SYNAOGUGES....then the whole female-head-covering issue may be a contextually-unique-to-synagogues consideration....

After all, James assumes that believers are meeting in SYNAGOGUES ("συναγωγή", Jas.2:2), whereas the VAST majority of Christians, today, do NOT meet in synagogues.

That's another reason why the female-head-covering issue might not apply to today's non-synagogue churches.

"Perhaps one of the functions of these Angelic beings is to attend services if they so desire where groups of Christians are gathered for (corporate worship). We concluded that they might be reporting back what they see. I personally believe they are present in corporate worship."

Actually, Timothy Alberino set forth the interesting possibility that women should cover their heads because FALLEN angels are inclined to be attracted to FEMALE BEAUTY (Ge.6:2ff)....and we don't want to encourage another fallen-angel incursion!    (although, the return of the Nephilim appears Scriptural anyway....but hey, we don't want to hasten that awful forthcoming episode...)

"They seem to be very curious according to 1 Peter 1:12."

Yes, 1Pe.1:12 makes me think that angels have their own "worthyangelforums.com" equivalent in the heavenlies....where they consult with one another, seeking to understand and know ever more deeply the things of God!

blessings...

No comment to rebuttals like that.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/07/1989

Hi, I’ve been following this thread with interest, and at risk of getting grilled, would like to share my own revelation of the topic at hand. As a female, I do believe it is important to have your own conviction when it comes to 1 Corinthians 11 and the topic of ‘head coverings.’ To disregard it with the simple notion that it is from a different “cultural” time would be unwise and a disservice to the Word of God – as The Servant of the Lord has aptly pointed out.

As followers of Christ, we are beckoned and urged to delve deeper into the Word and, with the help of the Holy Spirit, seek out the truth of the Scriptures.

The first question I have to ask is why would the topic of head coverings cause such a stir and have such a sting to it that people would rather justify not wearing head coverings than “just do it” out of obedience?  There must be more at play than merely putting a cloth over my head and feeling a bit awkward about it at first. Why does it stir such a vehement reaction?

It must be inspired.

Whenever we are confronted with the truth, our response will either be “for” or “against”. There is never a “middle road” when it comes to the Word of God – it divides, cuts, and shines. (Heb. 4:12,13).

Look at Stephen’s address to the Jewish Council: despite him being a man “full of faith and power” where they “were not able to resist the wisdom and Spirit by which he spoke,” (Acts 6) when he spoke the truth of Christ to them, they gnashed at him with their teeth as they were cut to the heart. (Acts 7:54)

The Word says that “Christ is a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense.” (1 Pet, 2:8). And from John 1, we can also safely say that Christ is the very Word of God. So we are to be very careful when going about the Word that we do not use it as a source of debate or treat it as information to be discussed rather than the very oracles of God. (1 Tim. 1:6-7)

So back to head coverings… What if it’s more than an obscure passage of Scripture? What if it is a key to unlocking the correct order of the Church of Jesus Christ? After an in-depth study, I sincerely believe that it very much is the case. How can I say that? Because in essence, 1 Corinthians 11 is not discussing the issue of head coverings as much as the issue of GLORY.

Let’s read it again:

But I want you to know that the HEAD of every MAN is CHRIST,

and the HEAD of WOMAN is MAN,

and the HEAD of CHRIST is GOD.

Every MAN praying or prophesying, having his head covered dishonors his HEAD. [who is his head but Christ?]

But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head [man]…

For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and GLORY of GOD; but woman is the GLORY of MAN.

If you ask me, this is the real bone of contention and, as a female, the bitter pill to swallow. In immaturity, I used to be so offended by this verse. It implied that as a female I was inferior to a man and I hated that. It brought out the ‘gnashing of teeth’ reaction inside of me! As I’ve grown up in the Lord, I’ve come to understand that it is not about superiority/inferiority, but the correct order of things, as Paul clearly goes on to say: that man is not from woman, but woman from man… and for this reason the woman ought to have a SYMBOL of authority on her head, because of the angels.

I don’t pretend to understand what Paul means by “because of the angels.” It still remains a mystery to me.

The picture that I want to paint you is very visual. If the woman is the glory of man, and you cover her head, are you covering her, or are you covering her glory, which is the glory of MAN?... And with the man’s head uncovered, he is the glory of CHRIST… so when a woman covers her head in an assembly, she’s covering, not herself, but the glory of MAN so that the men with their HEAD [Christ!] UNCOVERED, display the GLORY OF CHRIST! WOW!

So if the angels have visited the assembly as 1 Corinthians 11 and 1 Peter 2 suggest, as spiritual beings, whose glory do they see? The glory of man looming bright, or the glory of CHRIST pervading the sanctuary?  Perhaps that’s what it means by “for the sake of the angels?” When we take it into consideration, we are catapulted from the natural to the spiritual realm; we’re no longer talking about what it looks and feels like in the natural, but what the implications are in the spiritual realm, which is where the angels reside. I guess when you look at it like that, it very much so affects the angels! Whose glory are we emanating in the spiritual realm?

When I clicked this, it was very easy for me to, not just cover my head, but want to cover my head. Is it a shameful thing that as I woman, I am the glory of man? Absolutely not!!

If the Glory of man is Christ, how can I be ashamed of being someone’s glory, whose very own glory is Christ?! Christ, being the glory of God, is called in Hebrews 1, the “the BRIGHTNESS of His GLORY and the EXPRESS IMAGE of His PERSON. As a woman, according to 1 Corinthians 11, I am the very expression of man – his helpmeet, like I was created to be. It’s not about covering my head; it’s about whose glory I want to be revealed when I’m in God’s presence – Man’s glory or Christ’s?

It’s my conviction and I’ve been wearing a head covering for over 10 years now. It releases me to be free in prayer and in worship; I wear it as a symbol of authority to remind myself that as a woman, I am submitted to man, who is submitted to Christ, and I am safe. For all intents and purposes, I am covered… what freedom I have found under that covering!!

• Loved it! 1