• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Mark 11:13

seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.⁰

And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away. And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away! Matthew 21:19‭-‬20 KJV 

This verse had me questioning the authenticity of the word. I thought if this can be wrong then what else is y'know? The holy spirit wouldn't inspire men to get a day wrong. Spirit of All Truth right?

?‍♂️ just thought i'd share

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

So Jesus cursed the fig tree and it immediately (or "presently") died. Then, "when the disciples saw it" (i.e. "in the morning, as they passed by"), they found it "dried up from the roots" and "marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away".

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

But that's not what it says in the 2nd verse. The time Jesus speaks is when the fig tree withers infront of them..reason why they were amazed. 

First verse they see the curse following morning..

?‍♂️

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:40 PM, Deeplytroubled said:

But that's not what it says in the 2nd verse. The time Jesus speaks is when the fig tree withers infront of them..reason why they were amazed. 

First verse they see the curse following morning..

?‍♂️

I used the relevant words from both verses to make my statement. You are assuming it means that the tree withered before their eyes as Jesus spoke the words, but the actual words used in the text don't demand that interpretation. The Matthew verse doesn't specify a time period. It only says "so soon". "They were amazed" because the tree was withered up less than a day after being cursed. Given the information from both passages, that is a perfectly valid interpretation. There is no necessary contradiction - unless you have an agenda to insist on one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Jesus was effectively denouncing Israel’s worship of God. With the cursing of the fig tree, He was symbolically denouncing Israel as a nation and, in a sense, even denouncing unfruitful “Christians” (that is, people who profess to be Christian but have no evidence of a relationship with Christ).