• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

I hope you are not going to say that to the Lord, when you stand before him and he tells you to justify your celebration of a pagan festival, knowing that it is not sanctioned in the Bible.

If I told the Lord I was celebrating His birth He would say " thank you". 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

We all know, when it's all said and done, that Christmas isn't Christmas until the Hans drops. On a side note, star wars was awesome. 

P.S. Merry Christmas all, God bless. :)

source (6).gif

• Haha 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

18 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

What do you think?

What do I think? I think that I was a pagan myself once, and the Lord saved me for His service. I have no complaint about the church taking pagan holidays, and converting them as I was converted.

If you cannot burn a log without sacrificing it to an idol, or have a tree without becoming a druid, then by all means, don't do such things. In the mean time,  why should we condemn those who choose to honor the Savior by celebrating the anniversary of His birth, or give gifts to each other, in remembrance of the gifts brought to the infant Jesus?

God was not opposed to sacrifices, festivals, holy days, fasting, sabbaths, etc. However, when they were not done with a right heart and a God honoring life, then He hated them. God looks on the heart. Do we suppose that when God looks upon our hearts, that at Christmas he thinks: "Oh look, there go those Christians again, who are purposely celebrating idols and false Gods!"?

Christians who do such things need to repent (if there are any) and I suspect that are other things wrong in the other times of the year also.

If you can eat, and give thanks for it to God, view the season with due reverence, then by all means do so, glorify God in what you do, and do all things as unto the Lord. 

Paul wrote:

25 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; 26 FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD’S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS. 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake. 28 But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; 29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience? 30If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks?   31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

The problem I see here, is that some people cannot celebrate these holidays with a clear conscious. If they cannot, then they should not. On the other hand, we have people every year here, who insist on trying to rob others of joy, trying to make them feel guilty, and placing them in a position to stumble, because their conscious is no longer clear. I find that to be unloving, personally.

Now, the following is lengthy, and I am sorry for those who cannot take the time to read a bit of scripture, but what can I say, Paul was not always succinct. What follows, will take 3 minutes out of you life:

1 Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. 2 One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. 3 The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.

11 For it is written,
            “AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME,
            AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD.”

12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. 14 I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another. 20 Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense. 21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

I just hid several posts here from view, because they were not about the topic, they were only about criticizing others. Here, I do not mean they criticized the opinions, the pointed fingers and criticize fellow posters themselves.

Take not of this, because those of you who did this get on the radar and may find themselves banned from this topic, and others in the future. Opinions are ok, debate is ok, attacking others is not ok!

9 hours ago, other one said:

and if it wasn't for us you guys would have starved to death the first two winters you were here

I hope that was intended to be humorous! I am fairly certain that neither you guys or us guys, were even alive back then!

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

What do I think? I think that I was a pagan myself once, and the Lord saved me for His service. I have no complaint about the church taking pagan holidays, and converting them as I was converted.

Excellent post Omegaman.  Well said and scripture.
Could/should have been a statesman...:)

19 minutes ago, Sower said:

Thank you! I am glad you said statesman, not politician! :) 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

This just popped into my head. Here is a thought. What if those of you who feel they can't take part in Christmas, celebrate Hanukkah instead! You would be alright with that wouldn't you? Well it was just a thought. I have to go to sleep now. Good night all.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,326
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Hi FOE,

I cut and pasted this from my answer in the thread "Xmas & Saturnalia" started by @Yeshua153. Figured it was relevant.

There are records of Christians celebrating Jesus' birth on December 25th before Constantine was born (e.g. in the Commentary on Daniel by Hippolytus of Rome - 202AD).

1 - We should be cautious against falling for the common anti-Christian strategy of claiming our traditions are derived from paganism, and

2 - God looks at the heart. So what is important about Christmas is what it means to the conscience of each Christian.

Romans 14:4-6 - Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.

Merry Christmas.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

5 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:
5 hours ago, Sower said:

Thank you! I am glad you said statesman, not politician! :) 

Quote:
"In most respects a statesman is the opposite of a politician. Politicians are thought of as people who will say or do anything to get elected or to gain power.[2] A statesman is someone who does everything for the common good of the people he or she represents.[2] To call a person a statesman is a mark of high regard for that person's integrity."