• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, David1701 said:

Nice bait and switch!  I was talking about celebrating the pagan festival known as "Christmas", not Christ's birth!

Thanks for celebrating my birthday (which I did not tell you to do) on the date of a pagan festival, with pagan symbolism.  I don't think so...

The world is mostly secular when it comes to the "holiday celebration" which is what this world wants to call it. And relishing on Santa Clause. Putting up a Christmas tree and decorating your house is not pagan. Sending out Christian Christmas cards is not pagan. Putting up a nativity scene is also not pagan. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

48 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Maybe you think that accusing me of thinking that I am "holier than the rest of us" is a compliment? :rolleyes:

I find the juxtaposition of Christ with Mass to be offensive, as I have posted several times now; so you have just deliberately offended me; but I forgive you.

When you are celebrating Santa's day, perhaps you should give a thought to his companion, Krampus (I suggest you look it up).

Well if your offended by Merry Christmas perhaps I should say Happy Holidays instead. 

And yeah I know about Krampus. I know lots of stuff.  

(The term mass is derived from the ecclesiastical Latin formula for the dismissal of the congregation: Ite, missa est (“Go, it is the sending [dismissal]”)    Is this what you were offended by? 

Edited by LadyKay

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, other one said:

if you know very much about the Occult you will know that a lot of our traditions are derived from very very early paganism.   All the way back to Nimrod even....  

But there is not real reason we can't celebrate Jesus's birthday whenever we want....    he was really not very specific on his actual date and if it mattered I think he'd have told us.   It did used to bother me and some things still do....    but different people place different things into everything we do....     We can make good or bad out of any time of year...   well almost any.

I have investigated many of the common claims that Christian traditions are derived from paganism and found the supposed links between Christianity and paganism to be tenuous at-best. Most Christian traditions can be traced to early Christian practices - with no primary evidence of any direct link to paganism, or influence from paganism. Some speculate that any similarity between the two beliefs means that Christianity adopted the pagan tradition. But that is a significant, and somewhat biased assumption; given the nature of the available evidence. And often, when you look into it, records of the Christian practice pre-date records of the similar pagan practice. So if one adopted the practices of the other (which is not necessarily the case), the evidence would suggest it was paganism that adopted Christian traditions.

The world likes to attack Christianity by claiming Christianity "stole" our ideas from paganism. But I have found that in most cases, the extant facts contradict that anti-Christian narrative. So we can be confident that most Christian traditions stem from Christian thought. Either way, God considers our heart's intent more than our outward behaviours.

Merry Christmas and all God's best for the new year.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  177
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/23/2019 at 12:04 PM, Neighbor said:

Hi, No you really haven't found out anything. Nothing at all. All celebrations have pagan origins, or have pagan parallels for evil counterfeits what is good and celebrated to God's glory. You can worry about trees, you can worry about rabbits and eggs at Easter. You can soon join those who wish to be dour in countenance at all times having no joy within them and no love nor compassion, just a stern stiff upper lip of disdain for all that do have joy in their lives.

Don't let yourself go there. Be happy, enjoy life enjoy your creator's many blessings.

Anyone who has studied the history of the bible is aware that Christianity adopted a lot of "pagan" beliefs and stories. The Great Flood was adopted from the Babylonians, previous religions also told a story of a virgin birth. And many pagan religions celebrated spring and fertility with a story of a god who was sacrificed and then was resurrected.

If you get all wound up over details, did God approve of electric Christmas lights?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

8 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I am going to take the advice from Romans 14:1 regarding disputable matters and be done with all of this,until next Christmas season when I am sure it will roll around  again. 

Yes, but we will have to go through this again, near resurrection Sunday and All Hallows Eve!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

5 minutes ago, Margo1945 said:

the best way to show that we are really of the latter is by our example all year round, not just at special times .. Happy and Holy CHRISTmas to all

I agree, and I think that "thanksgiving", is something to do at least as often as every meal, but really, more often that that, like during all conscious hours!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

5 hours ago, Eman_3 said:

Anyone who has studied the history of the bible is aware that Christianity adopted a lot of "pagan" beliefs and stories.

Hi,

For today I will simply say,  not so.

Merry Christmas!

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

11 hours ago, Tristen said:

I have investigated many of the common claims that Christian traditions are derived from paganism and found the supposed links between Christianity and paganism to be tenuous at-best. Most Christian traditions can be traced to early Christian practices - with no primary evidence of any direct link to paganism, or influence from paganism. Some speculate that any similarity between the two beliefs means that Christianity adopted the pagan tradition. But that is a significant, and somewhat biased assumption; given the nature of the available evidence. And often, when you look into it, records of the Christian practice pre-date records of the similar pagan practice. So if one adopted the practices of the other (which is not necessarily the case), the evidence would suggest it was paganism that adopted Christian traditions.

The world likes to attack Christianity by claiming Christianity "stole" our ideas from paganism. But I have found that in most cases, the extant facts contradict that anti-Christian narrative. So we can be confident that most Christian traditions stem from Christian thought. Either way, God considers our heart's intent more than our outward behaviours.

Merry Christmas and all God's best for the new year.

I just disagree with your assessment of the situation.....    if you are using Christian resources you will get the idea of your view....   if you've walked with the dark side you get a totally different view of things....    One would think that paganism isn't a real problem today but it is thought that because no media outlet that is open will dare to get into it.    We have child sacrifice happening all over the world today.....    human trafficking happening everywhere today.....    the Muslims even have active slavery in Africa....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  177
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

For today I will simply say,  not so.

Merry Christmas!

Which is your right, no one is forcing you to learn the history of the Bible.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.57
  • Days Won:  12

14 hours ago, missmuffet said:

The world is mostly secular when it comes to the "holiday celebration" which is what this world wants to call it. And relishing on Santa Clause. Putting up a Christmas tree and decorating your house is not pagan. Sending out Christian Christmas cards is not pagan. Putting up a nativity scene is also not pagan. 

Where is your scriptural mandate for celebrating Christ's birthday?

Where is your mandate for doing so on the 25th Dec.?

Where is your mandate for re-purposing pagan symbolism?

Why do you suppose that God has deliberately not told us the date of his Son's birth?

Why would you cause division in the body of Christ, by incorporating man-made traditions, taken from paganism, without the slightest hint that this is what God wants?

One thing that I have noticed is that no-one who supports this festival ever does so because he has a scriptural warrant for thinking that God wants him to....