• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

Earplugs are the way forward. I know they are annoying but try this

Did you try ear plugs once and not get on with them and then take them out as you thought they were not comfortable.

Do you still get broken sleep because of the noise but will not use ear plugs.

When you actually manage to get used to them, they are amazing and your sleep pattern gets super blessed though. It is so worth it especially for prudence for a night when you have to sleep.

Let me tell you how to get used to them:
• Get really tired one night and put them in thus you will just sleep and that is one night done.
• Conquer the belief that they are not good by counteracting with the belief that the prudence for the long-term benefits are worth it.
• I reckon roughly three or four nights getting used to them and you will think they are super.
Oh by the way, if you have trouble hearing as you have blocked up lugholes, then gently warm up some pure virgin olive oil and put it in a very cleaned squeezy bottle with a thin end (like a syringe) and put it in your ears to soak for 2 minutes when you are laying on your side. Do this for a few days and tidy up with a tissue each time obviously.
Otex eardrops is even better if you can afford.

My 2 hour theory

Are you tired and know so well that you need to sleep but you are laying there annoyed and worried about tomorrow as you cannot sleep?
When you lay down, your pulse drops and your body regains energy anyway.

Why not do that for 30 minutes, and hour or learn 2 hours.
Lie down and tell yourself that your body is regaining energy and if I sleep then I sleep (nothing to worry about then).
what you will find is that with this thinking you will soon sleep anyway.

20 minute reset

Did you get little sleep last night and feel tired today?

Do not go to sleep for 7 hours in the day time to catch up as this will mess up your sleep pattern. Do that if you are truly exhausted though.

What I am saying is set your alarm and try sitting in your bed or a comfy chair for 20 minutes on your pillow and just relax with your eyes closed. It does wonders to pick you up for the rest of the day and it feels like a reset for you.

Shalom ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Sharky and George said:

Did you try ear plugs once and not get on with them and then take them out as you thought they were not comfortable.

More than once, bro. And yes, they're extremely uncomfortable. Scotch 3M are considered top of the line in more than you can shake a stick at, and still they hurt my ears. Sorry, but this idea is a 'no-go' for me. You have no idea what continual rukus and racket I have to put up with in this place. It's atrocious! 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I've heard temperature can play a factor as well. IIRC somewhere around 64f is regarded as the easiest temperature to sleep in. That out of the way insomnia is often a complicated mess of potential factors and contributing causes.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Many things one can do. I don't think I'd personally wear ear plugs; I get paranoid about intruders.

ASMR is one of those things you can listen to a bit of before bed. Some people find it relaxing while others can't stand it. One has to be a bit mindful, though. Many things labelled ASMR are little more than audio dramas; many of these are RP (roleplays) and use scenarios like vampires or lamia. Then, there are some forms of ASMR that are inappropriate.

Another audio option is music before bed. Nothing too upbeat like EDM or eurobeat; music affects your heartrate, so slower, gentler music is preferable. I've heard of a phenomenon similar to ASMR involving a genre called "lowercase," which is sort of like minimalist ambience. Bust out some smooth jazz or orchestra, maybe some lounge, you get the idea.

Don't have your eyes on a screen up to at least 2 hours before bed.

Only eat small meals in the evening; eating a big meal close to bedtime interferes with sleep.

I personally use a temperature resistant pillow, meaning it stays cool. It works great for me, since I get really hot at night - I'll even sleep with a fan on during winter, if it's not cold enough. Also, due to my body heat, I don't use a thick blanket. A comforter is hardly comforting to me.

Try to use your bedroom only for sleep. That way, you can train your mind to associate the bedroom with sleep rather than much else.

BeauJangles, to a lesser degree I know what you mean. They irritate me sometimes. Dampen the earplugs by putting them in warm water quickly, roll them up like normal and then try. Works for me.

Guys a super science explanation of how we think at night and have yrouble is a book called the Chimp Paradox by professor Steven Peters. Its the science how and not the bible why e.g. the Chimp may be like the sin within us that can be talked to with the human like the sword of the spirit or just meeting all of our drives like water, breathinh etc. AnOrangeCat that might help you.

Repose, when I lie in bed struggling, Jesus comforts me after prayer. He can do the same for you. Get a bolt for your door and use your authority in Christ while you are standing there, to remove any paranoia. Stuff about paranaoi in tht book btw.

3 minutes ago, Sharky and George said:

BeauJangles, to a lesser degree I know what you mean. They irritate me sometimes. Dampen the earplugs by putting them in warm water quickly, roll them up like normal and then try. Works for me.

The ones I have are neither soft or spongy. That sort are offered during the incessant and potentially harmful noise during an MRI procedure. They're also pretty worthless, and only muffle out miniscule amounts of unwanted sound. Scotch 3M fit tightly into the ear canal but are unfortunately ineffective for noise cancelation. I'm looking for something far more effective that the ones you're describing. Those aren't uncomfortable, but they also aren't very good either. Still searching.    

If it helps at all, then I just use normal foam earplugs from Wilko, put them in warm water, shake off, roll neatly and then in.

Cancels noise enough and the water means no irritation.

If this does not help you then I am sure others.

8 hours ago, Sharky and George said:

If it helps at all, then I just use normal foam earplugs from Wilko, put them in warm water, shake off, roll neatly and then in.

Cancels noise enough and the water means no irritation.

If this does not help you then I am sure others.

Again, these are commonly used in noisy factories and offered during MRI procedures. Plenty comfortable, but hardly sufficient. The noise permeates through with little protection at best. Next time I have an MRI, and that's likely soon, I'll take my Scotch 3M ones. I can put up with the pain for the approximate 30 minutes to an hour. Still searching for something better. 

Ah, lightbulb maybe.

Bose noise cancellation headphones. Expensive but comfy and complete silence.

Obviously I can see that you might not be able to wear them.

But the idea is said incase somehow you can therefore this has been said.

21 minutes ago, Sharky and George said:

Bose noise cancellation headphones. Expensive but comfy and complete silence.

Nice try. Yes, they are top of the line and very expensive. I have a pair of Sony, 98% noise cancellation for about $50. Not comfortable when sleeping, of course. Great for listening to music and very comfortable for as long as needed. Also have a pair of Sony earbuds for pretty much the same cost. They have drivers in them and look almost 'space age' due to that. Tremendous sound for the price. Some cost hundreds. Merry Christmas!