Ruth Also

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I am interested to hear from the folks that don't celebrate Christmas.  I wonder why you don't and whether you take on any other December holidays instead.  I'd like to hear your story, what you do and why you do it.  Feel free to include what you think is right or wrong, but I'd appreciate it greatly if you would keep arguments off this particular thread and maybe start a new thread for that.  (There's a place for drawing lines, but for this thread, I was hoping it would just be our stories.  Fair enough?)  

I'm also curious about a recent statement that someone made that Jesus would have celebrated Hannukah, so if that's part of your story, elaborate on why you think that was the case.  Thanks for sharing your stories!  

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  239
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,542
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

My friend doesnt celebrate it for the reasons i listed in my thread but basically it's a pagan holiday.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I just checked it out, Figure of Eighty.  Looks like they started arguing already.  I was hoping for the stories, and I'm still holding out hope!  Thanks for replying!

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

Sorry, I can't help you, we do celebrate Christmas and look forward to it every year!

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Ruth Also said:

I'm also curious about a recent statement that someone made that Jesus would have celebrated Hannukah,

Ye of course Jesus did he attended and celebrated all the feasts, major and lesser, plus he went to temple three times a day. He celebrated passover plus was the passover lamb.

Observing  or acknowledging Hannukkah  does not preclude celebrating the incarnation of the Son  of God. come to fulfill prophecy and to teach, suffer, die,  arise, and ascend, leaving us the Comforter in His absence, so that  those that do hear the call by the Holy Spirit and repent of sin against God may be with God eternally. All by the mercy and grace extended  by Jesus.

Reference of Jesus  being at the temple during the Feast of Dedication (Hanukkah) is found midway within John 10 presented below  in it's fuller context so that  readers may quickly see the events that were unfolding as He attended: 

John 10 English Standard Version (ESV)

I Am the Good Shepherd

10 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber.  But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.  To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.  A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.”  This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.  All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them.  I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.  He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.  He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me,  just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.  And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.  For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”

There was again a division among the Jews because of these words.  Many of them said, “He has a demon, and is insane; why listen to him?”  Others said, “These are not the words of one who is oppressed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”

I and the Father Are One

At that time the Feast of Dedication took place at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon.  So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me,  but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.”

The Jews picked up stones again to stone him.  Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?”  The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.” Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’?  If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken—  do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?  If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me;  but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”  Again they sought to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands.

He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing at first, and there he remained.  And many came to him. And they said, “John did no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.”  And many believed in him there."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

basically it's a pagan holiday.

All holidays are pagan to  nonbelievers, the unsaved world, while none are for those that know Jesus as Lord, God, and savior. What evil may intend to use against Christians God uses  for good to all those that believe on Jesus as Lord God and savior. There is no need to fear  any  holiday  as being  of some pagan origin or parallel.  That is  a unnecessary worry projected by evil to rob  saints of the joy they find in Christ Jesus.

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

9 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

He celebrated passover plus was the passover lamb.

Just imagine what His half brothers and sisters must of thought about at the "next" Jewish Passover a year later, ...we actually celebrated the Passover all those years with THE "Lamb of God," ...that had to be mind blowing!

Merry Christmas and Lord Bless...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. I am not in a competition to see who can give the most expensive gift, send out the most cards, have the house the best decorated on the block and the most christmas cookies baked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Since I  became a Christian , Christmas and Easter and any other types of Religious Holidays are just ordinary days for me. I am not trying to be Sanctimonious .I worship Jesus every day. No more  this Wednesday than I will come Thursday......

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

45 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

I don't celebrate Christmas because 1.) I live in the corner of a kitchen (literally) 2.) I don't have family or friends and 3.) I don't have money. I don't observe any holidays of any sort.

You are wrong in section 2......I consider you my friend.....

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1