IGNORED

Are the 10 Commandments called "the moral law"?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  467
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

That's fantastic what happened in your lives,  ...but would you please explain to me what you and your husband believe "baptism" is and how it relates to a child of God?

Lord bless

You are making this personal - rather than a discussion on the interpretation of Bible passages. 

My life, and my husband's life is NOT to be picked apart by you, so you can judge whether we are "saved" according to your criteria.  I was wrong to describe anything that I personally experienced. 

4 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

That's what God said:

For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Think about what you have said, ...if "every" human ever born from Cain to the very last one were "chosen" and "predestined" to come to Jesus for salvation and then some don't, ...is that not eliminating God's foreknowledge, ...isn't that saying God "chose" and "predestined" this person, but He didn't "know" they would refuse Him?

Does that not "contradict" the meaning of "predestined," ...an outcome determined in advance by God's Divine Will?

Dose not God's Word refute this by telling us:

For many are called, but few chosen.  Matt 22:14

Does not the Word of God tell us we are born "slaves to sin"  Rom 6:17 and the "only" free will we have is to "chose" which sin we want to delight ourselves in?

The Holy Spirit "overrides" this at our own personal "crisis" moment when we are given the "free will" to chose or reject Jesus and His Salvation, ...does not the Word of God confirm this:

...as it is written "There is none righteous, no not one; there is none that understands, there is none that seeks after God."  Rom 3:10-11, ...Psa_14:1-3; Psa_5:9; Psa_140:3; Psa_10:7 and Psa_36:1, Isa_59:7-8 

Then please explain how you "understand" our nature as written in the Word...

Lord bless

Are you a universalist?  Do you believe that every human being will be saved? 

The nature of man (naturally mortal or naturally immortal) is for another thread.  We have gone way off subject. 

18 hours ago, Lee_ said:

Edit: Memory problem...

Are you saying yes, the 10 Commandments are called "the moral law"? If so, where are they called "the moral law"?

Definition #1 of the English word "moral" is:  concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.

I think folks here would agree that only GOD defines what is "right" and therefore what is "wrong". 

The English word "moral" is not used in very many translations.  I found it used only once or twice in most translations.

A few examples: 

CJB (Complete Jewish Bible - English Translation)  Job 4:3, says that Job gave "moral instruction". 

LXA (Brenton LXX with Apocrapha) 4 Maccabees 2:21 "For at the time when God created man, He implanted within him his passions and moral nature."

NAS (New American Standard)  2 Peter 1:5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence,

NET (New English Translation) uses "moral" in several verses:  Job 1:22;  Psa 19:11;  Psa 111:10;  Pro 1:2,3,7,29;   Pro 2:10,  Isa 2:3,  Daniel 9:13;  Amo 2:7

NET  Daniel 9:13 "Just as it is written in the law of Moses, so all this calamity has come on us. Still we have not tried to pacify the LORD our God by turning back from our sin and by seeking wisdom from your reliable moral standards."

NET  Isaiah 2:3 "many peoples will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the LORD's mountain, to the temple of the God of Jacob, so he can teach us his requirements, and we can follow his standards." For Zion will be the center for moral instruction; the LORD will issue edicts from Jerusalem."

NET   Psalm 111:10 "To obey the LORD is the fundamental principle for wise living; all who carry out his precepts acquire good moral insight. He will receive praise forever.

NIV  (New International Version)  James 1:21 "Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you."

In the New King James  Romans 2:26  "Therefore, if an uncircumcised man keeps the righteous requirements of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted as circumcision?"

Here, "the law" defines what is "right".  Another common term is "lawful" - according to the law. 

Romans 2:26 confirms that the converted Gentiles were not practicing physical circumcision (something commanded in addition to the 10 of "the Covenant"),  and we know most were not going up to Jerusalem to offer sacrifices, yet they WERE keeping "the righteous requirements of the law".  I think we can support the Ten Commandments being "righteous requirements", therefore "moral" requirements.  Those requirements can be "kept" without going up to Jerusalem, and without submitting to physical circumcision.

Some, I'm sure, would want to separate "the law of Christ" (Gal 6:2) from "the law" spoken by the LORD from above Sinai.   They forget perhaps that the Son of God, as the "one mediator" from "the beginning", was the One who spoke that Covenant, and then wrote it on the tables of stone.  

Matthew 22:27-40  Jesus said to him, "`You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is the first and great commandment. "And the second is like it:`You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." (NKJ)

Folks today can "love the LORD" and love their neighbor, WITHOUT offering sacrifices, and WITHOUT physical circumcision. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

21 hours ago, Resurrection Priest said:

You are making this personal - rather than a discussion on the interpretation of Bible passages. 

My life, and my husband's life is NOT to be picked apart by you, so you can judge whether we are "saved" according to your criteria.  I was wrong to describe anything that I personally experienced. 

The Holy Spirit, in His foreknowledge, spoke to me yesterday morning about my participation in this thread, ...which I have chosen to obey:

O JustPassingThru! Guard that which was committed to your trust, turning away from the profane and empty babblings and opposing views of what is falsely called "knowledge,"  which some, by professing expertise, missed the mark concerning the faith. Grace be with you. Amen.  1 Tim 6.20-21

For you friends and lurkers, ...the "importance" of knowing what verse Father used in our "spiritual" conception is because it's our "spiritual" birth certificate. 

The Holy Spirit instructs us to "take up" and "put on" the armor of God Eph 6:10-13 , ...one part of this armor is:

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God; Eph 6.17

Every born again child of God has been and will be "attacked" by our enemy in questioning us about our salvation, ...planting doubt in our minds, ...that is when we block the entry of his words into our minds with our helmet of salvation, ...our spiritual birth certificate, by saying, "I'm a Blood Bought child of God, a new creation in Christ...my spiritual Father is the Holy Spirit and the "verse" (the ovum) used for my conception and birth is             ," ...in so doing this we are "resisting" the devil and he will flee! Jas 4:7

Lord bless

Edited by JustPassingThru

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 12/24/2019 at 3:17 AM, Lee_ said:

Are the 10 Commandments called "the moral law"?

I dont think the commandments are moral laws in the general sense, but in the typical sense i would say they can be considered to be. Moral laws are just the standards that even unbelievers can do. The commandments teach on what God expects too. It is a standard God has for us, it is beyond human morals.