IGNORED

Survey on Dreams

JTC

Unofficial Survey on Dreams  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you usually dream in color or in B&W and what is your gender?

• I'm male and usually dream in color
    • I'm female and usually dreaam in color
    • I'm female and usually dream in B&W
    • I'm male and usually dreaam in B&W

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

This unofficial survey started when I was in collage because dreams were always a special interest of mine. But I could never ask as many people as I can now with the help of the Internet. The credit for this survey goes to a cousin named Maria who told us a very interesting dream one evening. What made the dream fascinating weren't the dream symbols nor even the plot of the dream. Rather, it was how Maria described the shade of a metallic blue car that was in her dream. For me, a color in a dream always has a meaning and is useful in terms of interpreting the meaning of the dream. But with Maria, and especially that metallic blue car the color meant nothing other than the fact she had never seen such a shade of blue before. Let me point out that Maria was only 17 at the time and the year was 1973. There were less shades of colors in 1973 than there are now in 2020. But it got me wondering if we all dream in either color or B&W and moreover, does a person's gender effect whether the dreams are B&W or color?

So I started asking people whenever the opportunity arose.

Of course I have no idea how I'm going to score this survey since I was never an experimental psychologist.

So let's have some fun.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  263
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I always dream in color but I had a dream about a couple of years ago( I was already a born again Christian at the time)  that was in in black and white. I was in front of Jesus  and I was asking  him why he took me to heaven so soon. Then I heard some laughing. It was coming from behind me. I looked and there was my best buddy right behind me giggling. Dream over. Merry Christmas!

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I designed this survey wrong. It was supposed to be that everyone who answered had to say whether they were male or female and then there was only going to be 1 question, Do you dream in color or B&W. But the software didn't allow for that so I had to make 4 choices. So I realize only 7 people answered which is hardly a definitive survey but the answers are the total opposite of what people have been telling me over the last 45 years. With very few exceptions men always report dreaming in B&W while women almost always say they remember seeing colors in their dreams. I have no idea why there's a difference based on gender but it did seem that there is.

But now I just let the cat out of the bag so any results from today on may be biased.

13 minutes ago, JTC said:

Maybe I designed this survey wrong. It was supposed to be that everyone who answered had to say whether they were male or female and then there was only going to be 1 question, Do you dream in color or B&W. But the software didn't allow for that so I had to make 4 choices. So I realize only 7 people answered which is hardly a definitive survey but the answers are the total opposite of what people have been telling me over the last 45 years. With very few exceptions men always report dreaming in B&W while women almost always say they remember seeing colors in their dreams. I have no idea why there's a difference based on gender but it did seem that there is.

But now I just let the cat out of the bag so any results from today on may be biased.

JTC,  color or B&W for you? I'm really curious now that you've told us that almost all the men you have asked offline dream in black and white!

Any other men out there who dream almost always in color?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

22 hours ago, JTC said:

So let's have some fun.

To tell you the truth I don't have dreams where my gender is of interest, least not to me. I'll ask in my next dream of others there if it is of any interest to them. Fact is I don't know the gender of people in my dreams, or if there are people in my dreams.

Usually I am battling a serious construction problem in the rain squalling wind and cold.

Oh wait that is just a real life memory that I revisit in my sleep. Could be in color, but the rain is so dark I don't know. How does one see black sky and rain in color. Does cold come in a color? Mostly I am finger numbing cold all over.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  6,825
  • Content Per Day:  2.51
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

I dream in color and am female. Colors have very specific meanings for me in God's communication with me and sometimes they show up in my dreams. Or I should say sometimes I bother to pay attention to them in my dreams.

• Loved it! 2

11 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

All your life, all your dreams are about construction in cold rain??

What @JTC is asking is...do you see colors in your dreams other than black and white? 

(He isn't asking the gender of the people in your dreams.)

Hi,

Sorry  for the obtuse humor. Need a tongue in cheek emolie  or a deadpan one.

------------

Strangely enough though, I seldom recall having dreams, as I usually do not sleep deeply enough nor long enough to reach rem sleep.

I did dream last night. It was about a nasty water leak damage that occurred to a house that  I had finally  found buyers for, one set of buyers had been especially picky. I had to make a few changes for them. All was set until the final walk through in the pouring rain. The bedroom ceilings and a den all leaked heavily and had dark stains already. At the same time the other  competing buyer came through was stunned to find he was too slow that another  had beat him to it. And then he saw the leaks too.

Colors? I don't know, but the color of green was missing. (Humor attempt)

-------

In real life I have had something similar happen after the sale of a house, it flooded between the time of the final walk through and the new owner actually moving their stuff in. The whole area suffered a bit of a flood. That was a nasty hassle, but it did get resolved.

We also had a family member's home flooded with over twelve foot of water. We had to pretty much gut it and rebuild. That was after we had been fighting a reoccurring roof leak on that rather unusual home. It was built much like a liturgical church and was shaped to represent a dove, the Holy Spirit, complete with irregular cedar shake shingles to represent feathers. Plus I had some apartment buildings and was always tending some leak or another  from roofs to plumbing.

Even my present home has had it's times of leaks. The weather here takes a toil on structures. And when there aren't leaks some foolish worker goes through the ceiling while working in the attic space.

Plus as work for others I tended 64,000 square feet of church and school with old roofs that were always leaking  even after having repairs  or even re-roofing done. I volunteered to help on another school too with old buildings and roofs that always needed tending.  Even went to Nassau to do a little work on a Christian school there, and found myself in the attic chasing leaks under a tin roof. Hot! Oh was that hot.

If it wasn't roofs it was sewers. Nothing like having a city sewer back up into to a school to make one's day. All the floor drains in shower rooms, dressing areas,  and restrooms  plus 42 toilets backed up, filled with you know what. Talk about a nightmare.

So yes my life's dreams/nightmares  have been about leaks and flooding. I wake up tired having fought them through the night. Might as well have been on the Ark hoping the pitch holds. Haven't had that one yet.

And tonight, why I still have to repair that house I thought I had sold in last night's dream/nightmare-

Dreams? No thanks. Not in color, not in monochrome.

Could be worse though, I could have been back in the funeral business in my dreams, sleeping with one ear on alert listening for the phone to ring at night.

-------

Well back to the survey. Where's the "don't know" boxes?

Abby is correct, this has nothing to do with the gender of the people in your dreams.

Neighbor, my guess is you dream in B&W. If your dreams were in color then you'd remember the colors, and some might be quite vivid.

I dream in B&W. I can only recall 1 dream I ever had with a color in it. The color was yellow and it was relevant to the meaning of the dream. As a young man I studied various methods of dream interpretation and I was quite good at it. Of course only the dreamer can say for sure if the interpretation is correct or not. When it's correct you usually feel it in your stomach the same way you would if you were just caught in a lie. This is because most dreams are our mind's lying to us. The main purpose of the dream is to keep you asleep so the mind camouflages the meaning of the dream with symbols that are usually nonsense. Most dreams concern events that took place in the previous 3 days. Another clue to understanding the meaning of a dream is the emotions you felt. They are more important than the symbols. I wouldn't be surprised if Neighbor's dream with all the rain involved anger. My dream with the yellow involved fear. I didn't feel fear in the dream, instead I was in a yellow room. Since I never see colors I knew the yellow meant something. This dream happened 25 yrs ago. At the time I had a gf I was scared that I was losing her. That's what the dream was saying, I was scared that I would soon lose her. I did loose her but it took another 5 yrs to happen.

If you own a dream interpretation book, do yourself a favor and throw it away. Dream symbols are always specific to thee person. There are a few that are almost universal but even these can vary. One is food and/or eating in a dream. Those symbols usually represent love. And not just romantic love.

I haven't asked many people if they dream in B&W or color but I've never had a man say he dreams in color.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, JTC said:

Abby is correct, this has nothing to do with the gender of the people in your dreams.

Neighbor, my guess is you dream in B&W. If your dreams were in color then you'd remember the colors, and some might be quite vivid.

I dream in B&W. I can only recall 1 dream I ever had with a color in it. The color was yellow and it was relevant to the meaning of the dream. As a young man I studied various methods of dream interpretation and I was quite good at it. Of course only the dreamer can say for sure if the interpretation is correct or not. When it's correct you usually feel it in your stomach the same way you would if you were just caught in a lie. This is because most dreams are our mind's lying to us. The main purpose of the dream is to keep you asleep so the mind camouflages the meaning of the dream with symbols that are usually nonsense. Most dreams concern events that took place in the previous 3 days. Another clue to understanding the meaning of a dream is the emotions you felt. They are more important than the symbols. I wouldn't be surprised if Neighbor's dream with all the rain involved anger. My dream with the yellow involved fear. I didn't feel fear in the dream, instead I was in a yellow room. Since I never see colors I knew the yellow meant something. This dream happened 25 yrs ago. At the time I had a gf I was scared that I was losing her. That's what the dream was saying, I was scared that I would soon lose her. I did loose her but it took another 5 yrs to happen.

If you own a dream interpretation book, do yourself a favor and throw it away. Dream symbols are always specific to thee person. There are a few that are almost universal but even these can vary. One is food and/or eating in a dream. Those symbols usually represent love. And not just romantic love.

I haven't asked many people if they dream in B&W or color but I've never had a man say he dreams in color.

The NYT article DustyRoad linked said 75% of Americans dreamt in black & white in the 1940s and said people in 2008 ,under 25, dreamt in color almost always. Only 12 percent  in 2008  dreamt always in black and white. They said the change was because of the advent of color tv. Can they be right? Does the Bible have anyone in it dream in color? Didn't king Nebuchadnezzar  in the book of Daniel see a dream of the human statue with a "golden head and silver torso"?  Anyways I am truly shocked that some only dream in black and white. I asked a couple of guys  yesterday and they dream in color.Yet you and 12 percent don't. It makes me wonder what else am I  wrongly assuming everyone experiences the same way I do?

How does one know if they dream in color?  And not just color the memory  of the dream, or for that matter recall it in simple monochromatic imaging, or even in just words rather than images like a newspaper account of an event? Does anyone dream in sound  or is it silent? I don't know, for how will I recall silence and then later express  the dream without using words?

Is it stereo or not? And once this is all answered, what do I do with it? Dream up something to do with it I guess.