Follower0fJesus

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

1 Peter 4:7 "But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer."

Time written: 65-68 AD

"At hand": near (in place or time) ἐγγύς

Written to: "To the elect, exiles of the Dispersion throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,"

Why is Peter telling specific people (that generation), the end is at hand, if the end was not at hand for another 2,000 years plus? If I'm Peter, and I write a letter to someone claiming the end is at hand, I'm assuming it will happen within their time. The people who read that letter, surely assumed exactly what he wrote. "The end is almost near for us".

Why would Peter assume the end of all things was at hand? Because Jesus taught it as well, and the signs were given of what would happen before the end times. So did Peter write his letter, meanwhile ignoring the "signs" that were to come beforehand? 

Did the Holy Spirit inspire Peter to "l*e" in his letter, in order to get this message to others 2,000 years later?

Edited by Follower0fJesus

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,739
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

1 hour ago, Follower0fJesus said:

Did the Holy Spirit inspire Peter to "l*e" in his letter, in order to get this message to others 2,000 years later?

Peter never lied and led of the Holy Spirit.  What is 2000 years compared to ETERNITY?  Less than .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent.  In the mind of God, we've only passed 2 days since Peter penned those words.  Remember it was Peter who also said, 

2Pe 3:8  But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 
2Pe 3:9  The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 

When you comprehend the plan of God ... He also said that EVERY TRIBE would come into the Kingdom ... take a look how many languages are left to be translated!

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 minutes ago, George said:

Peter never lied and led of the Holy Spirit.  What is 2000 years compared to ETERNITY?  Less than .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent.  In the mind of God, we've only passed 2 days since Peter penned those words.  Remember it was Peter who also said, 

2Pe 3:8  But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 
2Pe 3:9  The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 

When you comprehend the plan of God ... He also said that EVERY TRIBE would come into the Kingdom ... take a look how many languages are left to be translated!

God bless,

George

Thanks for your input, George. 

2,000 years (time), is actually non-existent relative to eternity. God doesn't operate on time, but he works around man's time. You can't assign God's time frame when convenient. If you want to say, "1 day to God is as 1000 years", then everything God says regarding time, is multiplied by 1000. So was the earth created in 6,000 years? Sabbath every 7,000 years? 

Furthermore, I think the phrase "1 day to God is as 1000 years", is a mere perspective for man to understand that God doesn't operate under our time. If God is eternal and time doesn't exist in eternity, then you could also say, 1 second is as a million years to God. There is no comparison between eternity and time. 

Look at the 'play' on words. 1 day = 1000 years and 1000 years = 1 day (from the verse). It's like saying, "God can turn these stones into children of Abraham", in other words, "He can do anything".

Also, I don't consider a remote tribe of 100 people to be called a "nation". Which in Greek is synonymous to race. Maybe there's a race of 10 million people living in caves within the earth :o 

Aside from that, it doesn't answer the question why Peter said, "end of all things" to his own generation. Again, "end of all things" was written to people 2,000 years ago, not us or any future generation.

• Steward

29 minutes ago, Follower0fJesus said:

If you want to say, "1 day to God is as 1000 years", then everything God says regarding time, is multiplied by 1000. So was the earth created in 6,000 years? Sabbath every 7,000 years? 

No, but the Rabbis and even the early Church Fathers looked at the Creation account ... and saw the world continuing for 6000 years ... then a 1000 year rest -- the time of Jesus' millennial reign. 

This is a passage out of a NON-CANONICAL book -- which is not consider SCRIPTURE, but it does reveal the context of how the early church fathers viewed the time in which they were living.  Jerome had the book of Barnabas in his Cannon, however, it did not make it past the council of Nissea when the Latin Vulgate was comprised.

Barnabas 15:3
Of the Sabbath He speaketh in the beginning of the creation; And
God made the works of His hands in six days, and He ended on the
seventh day, and rested on it, and He hallowed it.

Barnabas 15:4
Give heed, children, what this meaneth; He ended in six days. He
meaneth this, that in six thousand years the Lord shall bring all
things to an end; for the day with Him signifyeth a thousand years;
and this He himself beareth me witness, saying; Behold, the day of
the Lord shall be as a thousand years. Therefore, children, in six
days, that is in six thousand years, everything shall come to an end.

Barnabas 15:5
And He rested on the seventh day. this He meaneth; when His Son
shall come, and shall abolish the time of the Lawless One, and shall
judge the ungodly, and shall change the sun and the moon and the
stars, then shall he truly rest on the seventh day.

33 minutes ago, Follower0fJesus said:

Aside from that, it doesn't answer the question why Peter said, "end of all things" to his own generation. Again, "end of all things" was written to people 2,000 years ago, not us or any future generation.

Another viewpoint could easily be this ... our LIVES are just VAPOR in the scheme of things ... and to EACH of us no matter which generation we are living ... we're all just a BREATH away from eternity.   You are taking passages very literally ... when oftentimes the Lord uses symbolism to express a very real reality ... just read the book of Revelation to understand what I am referring.

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

4 hours ago, Follower0fJesus said:

1 Peter 4:7 "But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer."

Time written: 65-68 AD

"At hand": near (in place or time) ἐγγύς

Hi FollowerofJesus,

`at hand,` - to make near, to approach.

Since the Lord ascended to the Father`s right hand, the drawing of things to a conclusion starts. The Lord is interceding for His Body, while the Father is bringing His enemies to His footstool.

`The Lord (Father) said to my Lord, (Jesus), "Sit at My right hand till I make your enemies your footstool." (Ps. 110: 1)

And there is a pre-appointed time for this -

`And He has made form one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has DETERMINED THEIR PREAPPOINTED TIMES, and the BOUNDARIES of their dwellings.` (Acts 17: 26)

So....`the end of all things `approaches;...`  And that couldn`t be said prior to the Lord `s ascension, however now it is a pre-ordained track to a conclusion of Christ ruling over all.

Marilyn.

26 minutes ago, George said:

No, but the Rabbis and even the early Church Fathers looked at the Creation account ... and saw the world continuing for 6000 years ... then a 1000 year rest -- the time of Jesus' millennial reign. 

But regarding "end of all things", this is irrelevant if there is no consistency in time classification. Especially since there's no specific time frame given by Jesus or the disciples regarding end of times. Again, going back to Peter (an early church father), he was also one to say, "the end of all things is at hand". 

34 minutes ago, George said:

Therefore, children, in six
days, that is in six thousand years, everything shall come to an end.

Since you referenced this, I'd like to point out it's a false prophecy, considering Jesus himself said, "no one knows the day or the hour".

36 minutes ago, George said:

Another viewpoint could easily be this ... our LIVES are just VAPOR in the scheme of things ... and to EACH of us no matter which generation we are living ... we're all just a BREATH away from eternity.   You are taking passages very literally ... when oftentimes the Lord uses symbolism to express a very real reality ... just read the book of Revelation to understand what I am referring.

I take passages literally, that are meant to be taken literally. 

Peter is writing to other Christians, telling them the end is near. I don't see any symbolism in such a transparent verse.

Also keep in mind, Peter isn't the only author to speak of times being "at hand".

Also then, who decides what passages to take literally? This interpretation system could be applied to any verse.

25 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi FollowerofJesus,

`at hand,` - to make near, to approach.

Since the Lord ascended to the Father`s right hand, the drawing of things to a conclusion starts. The Lord is interceding for His Body, while the Father is bringing His enemies to His footstool.

`The Lord (Father) said to my Lord, (Jesus), "Sit at My right hand till I make your enemies your footstool." (Ps. 110: 1)

And there is a pre-appointed time for this -

`And He has made form one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has DETERMINED THEIR PREAPPOINTED TIMES, and the BOUNDARIES of their dwellings.` (Acts 17: 26)

So....`the end of all things `approaches;...`  And that couldn`t be said prior to the Lord `s ascension, however now it is a pre-ordained track to a conclusion of Christ ruling over all.

Marilyn.

I understand the meaning of "at hand". My question was regarding Peter warning his generation of the approaching end of times.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

27 minutes ago, Follower0fJesus said:

I understand the meaning of "at hand". My question was regarding Peter warning his generation of the approaching end of times.

I realise you do, however the term `approaches` gives a better understanding. Now it was not approaching prior to the Lord ascending. But now He is at the Father`s right hand the clock is ticking. It is APPROACHING. Only the ascended Lord has the power and authority to bring about the `end of all things.` It is a process, and quite in line with the Father`s eternal purposes to bring all things under the Son`s authority. (1 Cor. 15: 24 & 25)

There is much to do by the Father and the Son as they set out to bring all things to a conclusion.

regards, Marilyn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Steward

26 minutes ago, Follower0fJesus said:

Since you referenced this, I'd like to point out it's a false prophecy, considering Jesus himself said, "no one knows the day or the hour".

Day or Hour ... but we can certainly see the season.  

There were prophecies that were not fulfilled in the times of the Apostles ... and have only been fulfilled in our lifetime.  There are only a handful of prophecies left.

Perhaps, you should simply look at the plan of God in its entirety and then figure out how God is working to fulfill plan.  

There are never problems with God's Word ... only in their interpretations.

When the interpretation doesn't coincide with the REST of the Word ... then one must re-evaluate the original interpretation.

The Pharisees missed Jesus' first coming, because they were focused on a incorrect interpretation ... it's no wonder that many miss the signs of his soon Return because of erroneous understandings.

God bless you in your search for the truth,

Your friend,

George

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

I realise you do, however the term `approaches` gives a better understanding. Now it was not approaching prior to the Lord ascending. But now He is at the Father`s right hand the clock is ticking. It is APPROACHING. Only the ascended Lord has the power and authority to bring about the `end of all things.` It is a process, and quite in line with the Father`s eternal purposes to bring all things under the Son`s authority. (1 Cor. 15: 24 & 25)

There is much to do by the Father and the Son as they set out to bring all things to a conclusion.

regards, Marilyn. 

You have to understand the message from the perspective of the person writing it.

Let's say I'm Peter writing to you. I tell you, Marilyn, be prepared because the end is approaching. How would you interpret this message written to you?

I would read it as, "within my time". Otherwise it's a vague redundant thing to say, because approaching never stops approaching.