• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

DON'T WORK TO GET RICH

Pr 23:4,5  Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.

Pr 28:22  A man with an evil eye hastens after riches, And does not consider that poverty will come upon him.

For the love of money people waste their lives, living in discontentment and envying their neighbor. Consequently either they end up overworking themselves to get rich to the neglect of other responsibilities and other significant aspects of life, or they take unnecessary risks or incur a great deal of debt to achieve wealth. But in the end they get what's coming to them. In the Christian life, wealth is not a legitimate goal. Though there are some alleged "Christians" "who think that godliness is a means to financial gain. But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1Tim 6:5-10

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Don't sit on your fanny waiting for the gleanings of another's labor either.

Work, work hard, work long, work at what is enjoyed for the working at it. For happy is the man whose work is his play. Serve God in all that is done do all things to His glory, work hard at it.

Do not sit passively thinking God wants me to be poor,  dependent, and resentful of Him for my poverty. Get up and "walk". Be excited by the privilege of being able to now walk, and to do work at something  that will become an enjoyment to be doing.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Did Jesus tell people to work for wages or to drop everything, pick up the cross and go preach the gospel?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  280
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

The demonstration of Faith is more manifested in those that give of their riches to the point of their own poverty than those that hold back.  For the one that gives of all he has knows that his Faith is sufficient that God will provide what he needs.

So how can the rich be saved if they fear giving up their riches?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

The answer to this is to find a balance between work, play & rest. To always be concerned with work and what you own is wrong and I don't see where it leads to happiness or contentment. If it does lead to any kind of happiness it's a very selfish egotistical happiness which is the opposite of Godliness. Being at peace with God brings more happiness than an abundance of material possessions does. Balance is the key.

3 hours ago, Deeplytroubled said:

Did Jesus tell people to work for wages or to drop everything, pick up the cross and go preach the gospel?

Neither! 

2 hours ago, JTC said:

The answer to this is to find a balance between work, play & rest. To always be concerned with work and what you own is wrong and I don't see where it leads to happiness or contentment. If it does lead to any kind of happiness it's a very selfish egotistical happiness which is the opposite of Godliness. Being at peace with God brings more happiness than an abundance of material possessions does. Balance is the key.

Hi,

One needs to be concerned with work while working, and concerned with family needs and desires plus other aspects of life when not at work. Each can be most satisfying!

Many a work effort provides means of exchange to do eleemosynary works where the left hand does not even know what the right hand is doing. Being enabled with a monetary means to help another is a blessing.

Do all things that are done to the glory of God is a full effort,  then going that extra mile beyond becomes a tremendous joy, awesome even.

Much of the ability to serve the extra mile worth does come from working harder and longer than the other guy will do. Working harder at what one does becomes a reward of it's own kind. It enables one to have more  to give to others as led by God.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

Personally, I do work to "get" rich!   Here, I'll say it again, ...I work to "get" rich!!!

I work many hours of overtime, both on normal work days, Saturdays and often many holidays....,

But I never tell my boss, ...however, ...my Heavenly Father is keeping very accurate records and I'm "storing" up treasure in Heaven..., and I'm convinced Heavenly riches are much more valuable than earthly riches that rust and rot away!

Lord bless

• Well Said! 1