• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/12/1968

Why do we Celebrate Christmas at the end of the year.  Jesus birthday should be celebrated at the beginning of the year. Old School people still celebrate it at the beginning of the new year. Although I am not old school as I was taught to celebrate him at the end of the year I still think this is a misconception.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 hours ago, miaandme said:

Why do we Celebrate Christmas at the end of the year.  Jesus birthday should be celebrated at the beginning of the year. Old School people still celebrate it at the beginning of the new year. Although I am not old school as I was taught to celebrate him at the end of the year I still think this is a misconception.

I do not know how sure anyone is of exactly when Jesus was born, but I don't know of anyone who has celebrated his birth at the beginning of the new year.

Edited by johnthebaptist

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I do not know how sure anyone is of exactly when Jesus was born, but I don't know of anyone who has celebrated his birth at the beginning of the new year.

2 hours ago, miaandme said:

Is there astronomical evidence Jesus was born on December 25, based on how stars and planets were lined up at that moment of time, producing the "Star of Bethlehem"?

Edited by johnthebaptist
  • Thumbs Up 1

As far as I know Jesus wasnt born in either months but the fact remains we celebrate life at the wrong time if year and well since the Binle only talks about the season Jesus was born we should of had that as the start of the new year not January or December

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 minutes ago, miaandme said:

As far as I know Jesus wasnt born in either months but the fact remains we celebrate life at the wrong time if year and well since the Binle only talks about the season Jesus was born we should of had that as the start of the new year not January or December

Hi Perhaps a few months time rummaging around within the work of Remy Landau will be helpful to you.

Here is a link:

http://hebrewcalendar.tripod.com

Enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65

Some people take the fact that Zacharias (Luke's gospel) was in a certain order of priests, who would have had a specific rotation of service, which would have his interaction with Gabriel, and from there extrapolate that it is quite likely that Jesus was born at the time of the Feast of Tabernacles.  If you've read in the OT much, you could see where this God-with-us birth would have appropriately fit here, as His death for us took place at the Passover.  It wasn't part of their tradition to celebrate birthdays from what I can tell, so the fact that Jesus was born, but not his annual celebration of birth, was the important point.  There is no record in the NT of anyone celebrating His birth on an annual basis, and there is a history of later influence into the traditions of the original Christians.  By the first few hundred years, we had quite the track record of adding religion to the story.  It sounds like you are asking about Epiphany.  

By the way, the Jews had a calendar that was very different than ours.  Their "New Year" was in the late summer/fall, although the first of their months was in the spring.  Take a good look at it.  Leviticus is a good place, and around the 23rd chapter might be the first place I'd look.  You'll likely find you have more questions, but a good look in there will help you see the logic of their calendar.  And that's the calendar, more or less, that influenced life in the time and culture when Jesus walked on earth.  

Edited by Ruth Also

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

7 hours ago, miaandme said:

Col 2:16

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
KJV

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I know I have to repeat myself, but Yeshua's birth was celebrated 2000yrs ago, as being the event, at that time, of our Saviour being born in the flesh, but the date was unnecessary, as the bible confirms. (as it's not stated) Whereas the event since Yeshua's death & resurrection, should be celebrated daily, Lk9v23 & 1Cor15v31, & the dates were known, as the Passover Lamb of God. This event, of course, has been hijacked by the pagan easter event, that most churches seem to go along with. It shouldn't be a yearly thing, it should be daily. 

There were no birthday celebrations of Yeshua in the bible, the only 2 birthdays were 2 people were killed, & that was Pharoah's & Herod's.

I agree about the daily thing and pagans but dont know where it says 2000 years I thought it was 2020 years since he was born

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 minutes ago, miaandme said:

I agree about the daily thing and pagans but dont know where it says 2000 years I thought it was 2020 years since he was born

Not quite. Unless you study the whole subject of fixing dates and using calendars you will not be aware how much fiddling around has gone on. Scholars have found evidence to suggest that the division of BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini - the year of our Lord) does not exactly match His real birth year, which was possibly 4 to 6 years earlier than the division marks. I suggest you go to this Wkpd link which is where the quote below is from:

Birth date of Jesus[edit]

The date of birth of Jesus of Nazareth is not stated in the gospels or in any secular text, but most scholars assume a date of birth between 6 BC and 4 BC.[33] The historical evidence is too fragmentary to allow a definitive dating,[34] but the date is estimated through two different approaches – one by analyzing references to known historical events mentioned in the Nativity accounts in the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, and the second by working backwards from the estimation of the start of the ministry of Jesus.[35][36]