• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

11 hours ago, miaandme said:

Why do we Celebrate Christmas at the end of the year.  Jesus birthday should be celebrated at the beginning of the year. Old School people still celebrate it at the beginning of the new year. Although I am not old school as I was taught to celebrate him at the end of the year I still think this is a misconception.

We do not know the exact date of the birth of Jesus Christ. The USA has chosen to celebrate it on December 25th. It does not matter as long as we celebrate and give thanks for the birth of Jesus Christ on this earth. We should be thanking God for sending Jesus Christ to this earth to die on the cross for our sins everyday.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/12/1968

I agree to the fact no one knows exactly when He was born but I do know it was either early spring or early fall. The Bible isn't clear on that but Mary wearing a shawl then so some thinks we should be celebrating around that time as Jesus could of been conceived around Christmas season being the fact that the festival of light is shown around that time. I think that is cause people want it to happen. I still think however that the Bible isn't clear when but we should of had the season he was born in as a factor.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:44 PM, Michael37 said:

Not quite. Unless you study the whole subject of fixing dates and using calendars you will not be aware how much fiddling around has gone on. Scholars have found evidence to suggest that the division of BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini - the year of our Lord) does not exactly match His real birth year, which was possibly 4 to 6 years earlier than the division marks. I suggest you go to this Wkpd link which is where the quote below is from:

Birth date of Jesus[edit]

The date of birth of Jesus of Nazareth is not stated in the gospels or in any secular text, but most scholars assume a date of birth between 6 BC and 4 BC.[33] The historical evidence is too fragmentary to allow a definitive dating,[34] but the date is estimated through two different approaches – one by analyzing references to known historical events mentioned in the Nativity accounts in the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, and the second by working backwards from the estimation of the start of the ministry of Jesus.[35][36]

So where do we go from here I am still a little lost, as I am not that smart which is why I started asking questions. I have no idea where this is leading but I thought I would try to start questioning my own questions.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/1/2020 at 10:52 AM, miaandme said:

Why do we Celebrate Christmas at the end of the year.  Jesus birthday should be celebrated at the beginning of the year. Old School people still celebrate it at the beginning of the new year. Although I am not old school as I was taught to celebrate him at the end of the year I still think this is a misconception.

It is not the point of the date the point is that we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. The date is really not significant. 

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 1/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, johnthebaptist said:

Is there astronomical evidence Jesus was born on December 25, based on how stars and planets were lined up at that moment of time, producing the "Star of Bethlehem"?

Other astronomers theorize the star was actually a comet. Planetary alignment doesn't last for days on end as a comet can. Hale-Bopp did. It wasn't particularly all that impressive on our side of the hemisphere, but it was pretty neat.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,927
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, miaandme said:

So where do we go from here I am still a little lost, as I am not that smart which is why I started asking questions. I have no idea where this is leading but I thought I would try to start questioning my own questions.

I suggest you celebrate the birth of Jesus every day of the year. That way you will have it covered.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not suggesting to follow the signs as I don't believe in most of them but the end-times i do but the birth signs I don't. I only questioned the time Jesus was born cause I am curious and as for covering bases I do that all the time but still have questions about that time fragrance. I guess i am showing how smart I am huh. I don't want a debate at all so sorry i brought the question up.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

The authors of the gospels generally focused on theological elements rather than historical chronologies. The exact date has not been determined, and in fact, it maybe off as much as 30 years. But many believe that the accepted dates of Easter and Christmas were adapted from pagan ritual dates, Easter in the spring to celebrate the new crop and fertility, and Christmas the solstice, end of year. And never forget Saturnalia, the Roman feast of Saturn, which ran to December 21st.

A Jesuit studying Chinese astronomical records came across a supposed supernova observed in  5 BC for over 70 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,927
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

18 hours ago, miaandme said:

still have questions about that time fragrance.

Please keep asking your questions, miaandme. It will help you grow in your faith to have them discussed here.

You mean "time frame". A fragrance is a smell.

Gal 4:4
(4)  But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

See how history now runs backwards and forwards from the event of Christ's incarnation.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 1/1/2020 at 1:52 PM, miaandme said:

Had a couple who adopted a child from a country where she (the child now roughly 13 years old), had no documentation, and no history.   They had no idea when she was born, and no idea who the parents were.

This couple wanted to celebrate her birthday.   So they picked a day.   It is unlikely that out of 365 days, that it was exact day of her birth, but it became her birthday for them and their family.

I think the same applies to Jesus.  We don't know when he was born.  Christmas is just the day we have designated to celebrate it.  It's more complicated or simple than that.

• Thumbs Up 2