miaandme

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

For me and my family we do not believe God is graceless or less honored by celebrating Jesus birth when we do around winter. Just in my personal studies Jesus was actually born in a house type place. back in that time the house was separated between livestock and ppl. They were abiding in the lower rooms with the livestock possibly. And when the Wiseman were led to Jesus he was at least already 2 from various studying I've done. We just bring glory to God by showing the world period.. you don't have to wait for a holiday either. Our reasonable service that brings God glory is to be a daily living sacrifice. It's just that to the secular world they follow holidays and we as Christian's can use this to use as an opportunity to share Christ. For some reason even unbelievers even go to church on holidays and we have opportunity to share the gospel.

Here are some links:

https://www.gotquestions.org/amp/what-year-was-Jesus-born.html

https://www.gotquestions.org/amp/where-was-Jesus-born.html

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  181
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

On 1/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, LonerAndy said:

We don't know when he was born.  Christmas is just the day we have designated to celebrate it.  It's more complicated or simple than that.

That is how I perceive it. What is important is the big picture, and the messages the tales send. The fine details of specific dates are secondary to the messages.

For myself, I go one step further, and ponder why, of all the possible days in the year, those days were chosen.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 1/8/2020 at 1:35 PM, LonerAndy said:

Had a couple who adopted a child from a country where she (the child now roughly 13 years old), had no documentation, and no history.   They had no idea when she was born, and no idea who the parents were.

This couple wanted to celebrate her birthday.   So they picked a day.   It is unlikely that out of 365 days, that it was exact day of her birth, but it became her birthday for them and their family.

I think the same applies to Jesus.  We don't know when he was born.  Christmas is just the day we have designated to celebrate it.  It's more complicated or simple than that.

Nice post, Andy. 

754905672_bravosmiley.gif.0e54b6a911502ee974181de61269957a.gif

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

10 minutes ago, Eman_3 said:

That is how I perceive it. What is important is the big picture, and the messages the tales send. The fine details of specific dates are secondary to the messages.

For myself, I go one step further, and ponder why, of all the possible days in the year, those days were chosen.

The simplest answer is that as pagan cultures converted to Christianity, many of the former pagan holidays were converted to Christian holidays.

In former agrarian society, that was more 'dormant' during the long winter months, it makes sense to celebrate Christmas.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Our pastor is an amateur astronomer, so every Christmas season he gets out his charts of the heavens and shows when stars line up to appear very bright.  He shows how, when they rotate as relative to where we are, sometimes they appear to be moving one direction and then in the opposite direction, crisscrossing over time.  It is very interesting but I can't say I take it all in.  He agrees with those who believe Christ was born several years prior to the year that most assume He was born.  Pastor also uses the dates provided in scripture and by historians, such as the births and deaths of rulers of that day.  He  found documents that claim it is just as likely that Christ was born on Dec. 25.  

All of that rot really is not as important as remembering our Father's greatest gift of love, that being His only begotten Son.  Keeping that spirit of sacrificial giving love alive throughout the year is my goal.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  06/12/1968

ok I haven't posted this in a while but I was wondering how did the pagan celebrate the holiday.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

On 1/1/2020 at 1:52 PM, miaandme said:

Why do we Celebrate Christmas at the end of the year.  Jesus birthday should be celebrated at the beginning of the year. Old School people still celebrate it at the beginning of the new year. Although I am not old school as I was taught to celebrate him at the end of the year I still think this is a misconception.

I guess it's because Constantine thought it was best to celebrate on that day!! Frankly, there are so many theories out there. People don't even know the year Jesus was born. There are certain events in Bible captured with dates. And Scripture is silent on the date and year when Jesus was born. Which would imply, it is not so much important. But rather Scripture is so very detailed on the events around birth of Jesus. The life of Jesus, His death and resurrection. Which would imply, it is more important that we celebrate Jesus and glorify Jesus.

Even if we get the date absolutely right, there is no point of celebrating Christmas without Christ (which is what it has come down to these days). I would rather glorify and exalt Jesus even if I can't get the date right.

24 minutes ago, ravindran said:

I guess it's because Constantine thought it was best to celebrate on that day!! Frankly, there are so many theories out there. People don't even know the year Jesus was born. There are certain events in Bible captured with dates. And Scripture is silent on the date and year when Jesus was born. Which would imply, it is not so much important. But rather Scripture is so very detailed on the events around birth of Jesus. The life of Jesus, His death and resurrection. Which would imply, it is more important that we celebrate Jesus and glorify Jesus.

Even if we get the date absolutely right, there is no point of celebrating Christmas without Christ (which is what it has come down to these days). I would rather glorify and exalt Jesus even if I can't get the date right.

right true I never thought of it that way. thank you

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

53 minutes ago, miaandme said:

ok I haven't posted this in a while but I was wondering how did the pagan celebrate the holiday.

It is really Tammuz birthday and other deified people from the Ishtar (Semiramis/Nimrod) pantheons. Also the Romans/Greeks celebrated the 25th as Zeus' birthday. Tons of pagan stuff there to research.

4 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

It is really Tammuz birthday and other deified people from the Ishtar (Semiramis/Nimrod) pantheons. Also the Romans/Greeks celebrated the 25th as Zeus' birthday. Tons of pagan stuff there to research.

ok thank you

• Thumbs Up 1