The Survivor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

How can the government think that working American citizens and residents with families can afford to live off of minimum wage while for decades this country's jobs are being move and outsourced and given to illegals (yes they are I witnessed it for years first hand)? What ever happened to the American dream?

Personally, I would like to own a home with plenty of space and land in a quiet area, but I can never afford to and there is no quiet places around where you can see the stars at night without city light affecting the view. So that not going to happen. Especially if my next job is at McDonald's (again) because no one else is hiring in the tech field.

Your thoughts on how the government sees paying Americans low wages?

Heh, sounds like paradise for me. I lived in the woods, isolated from others before. Was... relaxing. But stuck in an apartment I can not afford to leave and no homes around I can afford. I also can not leave the state (family obligations). And thinking about how people are dealing with low wage jobs (because I had to deal with them and lose a home because of a layoff) and with prices always going up, how can the government and businesses think this is good enough for the American people?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,874
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

minimum wage jobs are not meant to last a lifetime.  they are entry level jobs while people attain the skills to earn higher wages....    some people go to schools and some like myself are home schooled but still learn information and certifications to get and hold higher paying jobs.

• Brilliant! 1

12 minutes ago, other one said:

minimum wage jobs are not meant to last a lifetime.  they are entry level jobs while people attain the skills to earn higher wages....    some people go to schools and some like myself are home schooled but still learn information and certifications to get and hold higher paying jobs.

Of course but with jobs being more scarce, the only option are minimum wage if they are even available.

Personal experience, I was laid of in 2011 and no one, not even fast food, would hire me. I had two degrees and all people saw was high tech and labor skills for the past 15 years (in one company) and all employees saw was "He needs real money." For two years I could not get hired until I did at Apple for a whopping $9/hr. I worked 80h a week for a year just to be able to afford rent each month.

I know many adults way smarter than me and they are stuck with companies not hiring because they have no jobs available, and some are working in retail and fast food while trying to support kids and not lose a home they own.

When I go into any fast food place I see mainly people from Mexico and usually all over 30 human years of age. Sure, I see teens, but also all from Mexico. I stopped going to many places because they can not understand what I am ordering. If you going to work in America, learn English is what I say. But, this is for another topic someday. But the point stands, lack of "living wage" jobs and yet the government is fine that adults, struggling to find high end work, are working in low paying positions.

Edited by The Survivor

at the present time there are more jobs available than we have people to fill them....   Where I live there are signs just about everywhere that they are hiring...

We have one place that if you are certified to weld and can pass a drug test you could go to work tomorrow for about $30.00 an hour and more if you have a lot of experience.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

For me personally, ...I pray back to Father what He has said in His Word.

For example, I arrived here without a cent in my pocket 29 years ago, I prayed like this, "Father, you said the Righteous would never be forsaken or have to beg for bread," Psm 37:25, ...He has been faithful, two weeks after I arrived my tools that I shipped from the States arrived and I have had work every day since then, ...granted I'm not rich, ...but my cup runneth over.

May I humbly suggest you try this "without" out any stipulations, ...even be ready to be moved out of your "comfort" zone and see what Father has for you.

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

1 hour ago, DustyRoad said:

That used to be the case, brother. Things have changed over the past two decades... I'll put it to you this way. My friend, who has a Master's degree in English, was making $9.00 per hour working a cash register. She was once an editor for a magazine but guess what happened? Many publications axed their editorial staff. The proof can be seen on news/magazine websites in the quality of their written output. I've causally skimmed the BBC's offerings and have noted three or more errors per story.

well if she wants to make some money tell her to go back to a tech school and learn to do something with her hands.....    she could go to work here as a welders or aircraft mechanic after about 18 months training in access of $25 an hour.    Electrician certifications are also good to have......   most college degrees are pretty much worthless unless they are engineering or financial or teaching degrees.    We are short of teachers here, but the pay isn't as good as for people who have hands on skills.

My son is about 40 and he's working for AT&T with the knowledge he gained at home and a short trip to votec training and he's making a six figure salary + benefits....

Having a college degree just doesn't make it in a lot of areas....    example is having a masters degree in English....   what can you do with it and how many others are there competing for those few jobs.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, The Survivor said:

How can the government think that working American citizens and residents with families can afford to live off of minimum wage while for decades this country's jobs are being move and outsourced and given to illegals (yes they are I witnessed it for years first hand)? What ever happened to the American dream?

Personally, I would like to own a home with plenty of space and land in a quiet area, but I can never afford to and there is no quiet places around where you can see the stars at night without city light affecting the view. So that not going to happen. Especially if my next job is at McDonald's (again) because no one else is hiring in the tech field.

If you work for a minimum wage then you will struggle financially. The government doesn't care. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Minimum wage service jobs are way more numerous. They aren't "college" jobs, where some pimple-faced kid itches his backside for 4 hours and gets a few pennies and he can get by all hunky dory. It's people trying to pay off debts, to cover cost of living, to support families. It's a job that bars you from working full time so they don't have to pay you as much or offer benefits.

Let's take for example a fellow named Frank. He comes from a low-income family, that lives paycheck to paycheck. He really doesn't have money just laying around. Even a tech school might charge 20k in total. So he has to get a low-paying job, $9 and hour at about 16 hrs a week, IF he is hired. That's $144 a week, $576 a month, not accounting for taxes. That means he's going to have to work 40 months in total to fully afford school. Over 3 years of parttime work. He wouldn't be able to afford rent, so he's either stuck with mom and dad or the messy business of multiple roommates (which would make saving up nearly impossible).

Getting a loan still means he would have a debt, with interest to boot. Sure, he could join the military and get it paid for, but why must one do so? One shouldn't have to put their life at risk just to try and go to school. I'm not fond of the idea of dying on behalf of some stupid banker, myself. If you graduate with a debt, you are barred from that diploma until it is payed off. Heck, if the previous year isn't payed for, a good number of them won't let the student continue taking courses until they are paid in full. Then many employers are super picky, even in service jobs. So you're over 18, with no degree, and aren't going to college? Dismissed. What, you don't have previous experience, when you can't gain experience if you are never hired anywhere? Dismissed. It's putting rubbish on a shelf, you long-neck twit, it's not rocket science.

People act like being a waiter is a job for some stupid college kid when that's just not the case. Minimum wage barely covers the amount of gas you put into your car each month, much less food, rent, whatever else. Just because they did not or are not going to school does not mean that they should be treated like dregs. Mopping the floor isn't glamorous work, but someone has to do it. They all fulfill vital functions to society, important cogs in the machine, and yet "oh just get a better job, why not go to school, what do you mean 'people don't have money', blah blah". Outdated and ignorant ways of thinking from schmucks who have or had it easy. 

Maybe they aren't smart enough for schooling, for some jobs. Must they starve and struggle just because they aren't bright? Must they be regarded as of little worth when they're trying to make a living?

I'm sorry for blabbering, but this just kind of sets me off.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, The Survivor said:

Your income is NOT  government's business, nor is it mine. It is yours.

Sorry but that is the way it is. Fair or unfair from your vantage point isn't going to feed you nor house you.

So you must get busy with planning how to make a living! Even the planning is incredibly time consuming hard work, but put your goals before you and take it on.

Find the enterprise that you may develop for your own earthly riches, so that you may be prospering to the point you can share with others if you  so desire instead of hoping others will share with you. But don't waste a moment on lament about government not doing it for you. For that is a totally unproductive  endeavor.  

You want sympathy you got it.  Now what? Sympathy breathes no good into anything. You have to pray, plan, and proceed to venture out,  until you make it.  And then you have to start working even harder for yourself day and night, day in day out. There is no other option that is going to get you any independence.

May the Holy Spirit awaken you to  taking charge of the making of your own endeavor, your own pathway, to productive profitable enterprise. May God then bless it as you do work all those incredibly hard long hours that will get you to your goals.

Never think it terms of hourly wage. It is self limiting and even defeating. An hourly employee is never in charge of their own prosperity anywhere at anytime.

May God bless.

• This is Worthy 1