• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,899
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/2/2020 at 11:46 PM, DustyRoad said:

That's the very definition of where I live: a quiet place where you can see the stars at night without electric lights affecting the view. What are the downsides?

No one else here. People who visit are vexed by the isolation as well as the prospect of using an old-fashioned outhouse. What... no flushing toilet? No paved roads? My cell phone is useless unless I stand in exactly the right spot? The closest city is two hours away? :blink:

Folks love this place as an idea but once they arrive out here and it becomes reality, it becomes too much of a hassle for them and so they leave. ;) 

Where is that ?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, That's the lament but, I live within easy walking distance of an indoor mall and an outdoor one over 485 stores.  I tried to get lunch today, what a madhouse. Cars backed up to get in  or out even. And it is that way most of the year now.  Plus there is the big box store outdoor mall. That one is near impossible to get into. Busy busy busy.

Maybe sales are down overall in the nation, but certainly the traffic is way up here. At one time I counted it was 485 stores at the two malls, now there are perhaps another hundred plus stores and restaurants at the other local intersection centers all within less than a mile from home. At every signal light by these stores we jokingly say as we wait and wait- It is the Looongest light in the Whooole world.

Plus the movies wow, what hard times? They are packed. It is definitely boom time here. Even the old down town areas are cleaned up many structures totally rebuilt. There is a shortage of help most everywhere, construction is slowed by lack of workers, contractors  can't meet construction schedules.

Churches are busy too, ours now meets on Thurdays as well as Sundays with the weekly worship service. Plus it spread out to establish two more churches not too far away. 

The stores I have visited in the mall have a terrible selection. I have a hard time finding things that were readily available in the past. I once asked someone if they had an item and he said " no, but you can find it on-line :unsure:

7 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

It depends.  Robots are horribly expensive to maintain.  The cost of labor has to be significantly higher.  We could get there if they raise the minimum wage.  But until then, human labor will always be preferable.

I don't think so. A few of our fast food places already have a do it yourself kiosk where you can order your own food. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I don't think so. A few of our fast food places already have a do it yourself kiosk where you can order your own food. 

I was referring to the completely automated stores.  They have the tech for those now... it is simply that humans are still preferable.  But if you jack up the minimum wage enough, that will change.

3 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

I was referring to the completely automated stores.  They have the tech for those now... it is simply that humans are still preferable.  But if you jack up the minimum wage enough, that will change.

I don't think humans are preferable. I have come across many with attitudes. Maybe you would not come across that with a robot. Also maybe a robot would be more accurate.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

My local McDonalds just installed two kiosks......lol.....nobody goes near them.....they are good at gathering up cob webs, though.....lol....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,415
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Also maybe a robot would be more accurate.

Maybe, but wouldn't that  put us at a disadvantage?  :) Going to be hard coping an attitude at a robotic kiosk cube.

Coming across a human with an attitude is half the fun in life. I mean how do you start a dinner conversation with, look at the white belt on that robot, what do you think? And the shorts on that robo-waitress, really!. You'd think they would at least learn some better English.  Is there a manager robot on duty? I need to talk to them about this dried up  fish  I was served.  Hello? Hello?

And hey, how do you give a robot a Christian gospel tract with a 25% tip for the fine personal service?

Ever toss a few jokes around with a kiosk dispenser? All robots will make life as much fun as an Interstate highway  rest station snack dispenser.

Robots leaking oil and bits o metal  serving me? Nope, no thanks, I'll take my chances on  the fun roadside restaurant personalities I meet as I travel.

Is a robot ever going to say, oh don't order the  crab cakes today, they are a little greasy, try the cobb salad instead besides you look like you could lose a little weigh honey.

Praise God for all the personable  fellow humans.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,415
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

12 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

How are people not able to save money?   What are they spending it on?   Cells phones?   Cable TV?   Is your rent too high?    Where is the money going?

Can't save because the cell phone service the cable tv the rent is too high. Yep sure enough, plus the  health insurance cost  is through the roof, and....

Just like retailers have their black Friday day each year and it moves to later and later in the calendar year because they are in the red longer into the year each year so is the consumer/worker. It is hard very hard work  to save; and then to not lose it to sickness or serious injury. 

It is real a very difficult issue to work within, but what real choice is there, got to just dig in and do more not less. 

The poor will always be with us, and many of us will be those poor.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Maybe, but wouldn't that  put us at a disadvantage?  :) Going to be hard coping an attitude at a robotic kiosk cube.

You cop an attitude with food preparers??? That is living dangerously lol.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

My local McDonalds just installed two kiosks......lol.....nobody goes near them.....they are good at gathering up cob webs, though.....lol....

That is true. I do not see anyone using them. 

• Thumbs Up 1