• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I don't think so. A few of our fast food places already have a do it yourself kiosk where you can order your own food. 

Yes, that is true.  And I would assume that you live in a high-cost area.   Here in Ohio, I have not seen a kiosk yet at any store anywhere.   But that's because labor is still cheap here.

So, I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything, but I worked at a company that was specializing in kiosks.  One of the nice things about this company, was all the executives, all of them would eat lunch with all the employees.  Didn't matter if you were emptying the garbage, or a senior account executive, we all ate lunch at the same time, in the same room.

SO...  I learned a ton about the kiosk market.   From what I was told, any store that went 100% kiosk, with zero cashiers, would lost between 20% to 30% on sales, depending on where they are located.  It's true some of us, myself included, prefer a kiosk over dealing with people.  Granted, that's because I'm antisocial at my core.  However, the vast majority of people do in fact prefer talking to a human, over a kiosk.

So why do Kiosk at all?   Because obviously, if the cost of labor is so high you can't make a profit...... then it's better to lose 20% of  your sales, or even 30%, than to go bankrupt and lose 100% by going out of business.

By the way.....

This is one of the reasons the Minimum Wage is so terrible.   It literally is a law that makes the rich, richer, and the poor, poorer.

Because between a national chain, and a small mom&pop restaurant, which one can afford to pay for Kiosks?    The national chains of course.   The small store go out of business, and without competition the national chains get more customers and can charge higher prices.

The wealthy win, and everyone else loses.

12 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Can't save because the cell phone service the cable tv the rent is too high. Yep sure enough, plus the  health insurance cost  is through the roof, and....

Just like retailers have their black Friday day each year and it moves to later and later in the calendar year because they are in the red longer into the year each year so is the consumer/worker. It is hard very hard work  to save; and then to not lose it to sickness or serious injury. 

It is real a very difficult issue to work within, but what real choice is there, got to just dig in and do more not less. 

The poor will always be with us, and many of us will be those poor.

Cancel the cell phone and TV.   I have not had TV service in 24 years.   Waste of money.

Cell phones are a luxury.  THEY ARE A LUXURY.  You don't need it.   I have done without a cell phone for years.   As shocking and amazing as it sounds, pre-1990s everyone survived without a cell phone for their entire lives.

Only in America do we chain ourselves to the floor of life, with all these luxury goods, and then sit around wondering why our lives suck.  I see this constantly. 

So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won’t let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us.

Hebrews 21:1

Right?   Now I get it, that this is talking primarily about sin.  I get that.  But the metaphor is universal.  When you run a race, you don't pick up everything in your house, and carry the couch on your back, and then try and make it to the finish line.

Well... life is a race.  If all this 'stuff' and 'things' are weighing you down.... ditch them. 

1 Timothy 6:10

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Right?   I love my phone.  I love my TV shows.  I love my car.  I love my things.  I love my stuff.   Why does my life suck?  Why can't I get ahead?

See a connection there?  I do.

Instead of watching TV, how about we find something productive to do with our time.   I'm not saying you should never do anything fun, but if you have time to complain the 'little man can't get ahead' while you have a TV and cell phone, then you have time to find something productive to do.  Grab a mower, and start mowing people's lawns in the summer.

People need to start distinguishing between a "need" and "want".  There are very few 'needs' in life that you can't afford.  Most of the stuff in our lives, are "wants", and there is nothing wrong with "wants", but if you are going to have a "want" in your life, you need to pay for it by being productive so that you are not hostage to your "wants".  And if you simply can't... then you can't.

"Well I have to have a phone for me and my kids, so I can keep in contact!"  Really?  I walked to school, walked to work, and walked home at night.  Never had a cell phone.   And the reason my parents are millionaires today, is because they didn't blow their money.

5 hours ago, ayin jade said:

You cop an attitude with food preparers??? That is living dangerously lol.

I was kind of thinking that......  not super wise to messing with the servers.

That had a special called the "Asian combo", which I thought was odd, as if 'Asian' was a monolithic food group.

I asked "Yeah, um, so the Asian combo comes with a real asian?"   long pause "Can I see what she looks like before I order?"   someone said 'um'...  "So what does large size do?  Do I get a bigger Asian?"

Everyone in the store with headset came to the window, and laughed at me.  Fun times.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Always something better. Getting stuck in the mud is a choice, don't give up. Minimum wage is meant to be a stepping stone, not a lily pad. in all reality its hard finding workers today that are worth minimum wage, just speaking my thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

20 hours ago, missmuffet said:

That is true. I do not see anyone using them. 

I only eat breakfast there, but I do see people using them here....     we get what we order when we use them.   I wish there was one in the car line to do pick up.

At sonic I just order on line and pick it up...   those orders never get messed up, and I go to sonic often....    you can pay on line with a credit card so the kids can go by and pick it up and I don't have to bother...

I used to dislike checking myself  out at Walmart, but I've grown to like doing it for myself unless we are buying groceries....   then it's just on line and they bring it out and put it into my trunk for me....    awesome.     When you order non groceries online at Walmart you get a notification that it's there and you go to the pick up place and flash the barcode that is on your phone and this big robot thing opens a door and hands you your package and you can turn and leave....

Then there is Amazon where I order it and the postman or UPS or Fedex just puts it on my front porch....   and if I don't like it, I can just send it back the same way.  

And thanks to our president we now have more Job openings than we have people looking for jobs to fill them...  and that should drive wages up naturally if we don't just keep opening our borders up for anyone...  

There are Job opening here in lots of places that one can make $20+ an hour but you must me trained to do something; either with your hands or like computer programming or data input.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, other one said:

I only eat breakfast there, but I do see people using them here....     we get what we order when we use them.   I wish there was one in the car line to do pick up.

At sonic I just order on line and pick it up...   those orders never get messed up, and I go to sonic often....    you can pay on line with a credit card so the kids can go by and pick it up and I don't have to bother...

I used to dislike checking myself  out at Walmart, but I've grown to like doing it for myself unless we are buying groceries....   then it's just on line and they bring it out and put it into my trunk for me....    awesome.     When you order non groceries online at Walmart you get a notification that it's there and you go to the pick up place and flash the barcode that is on your phone and this big robot thing opens a door and hands you your package and you can turn and leave....

Then there is Amazon where I order it and the postman or UPS or Fedex just puts it on my front porch....   and if I don't like it, I can just send it back the same way.  

And thanks to our president we now have more Job openings than we have people looking for jobs to fill them...  and that should drive wages up naturally if we don't just keep opening our borders up for anyone...  

There are Job opening here in lots of places that one can make $20+ an hour but you must me trained to do something; either with your hands or like computer programming or data input.

I like the self checkout at my grocery store if I have a few items. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,071
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

A lot of ideas and thoughts but initial realty is this:

2 Tim 3:1-6

3 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 
NKJV

As God has forewarned 'lovers of money' set forth in greed and all in society adjusts their lives to greed! Or else you don't and suffer for being giving to others!

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  41,071
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

everyone wants more from the least to the greatest it is the condition of nearly everyone you meet in this place (the world)...

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

32 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

everyone wants more from the least to the greatest it is the condition of nearly everyone you meet in this place (the world)...

I don't think I understand you, as I believe you are a very knowledgeable student of the word.
If you are saying everyone, or nearly everyone 'wants more', to consume it upon themselves
then I have to take exception with this statement.
Personally, I know I own nothing. I am only a steward of all the Lord has blessed me with.
 I read in scripture that what He has entrusted to me should be used to the best of my abilities,
with all my might, giving thanks for any increase, or loss.
I re read the parable of the talents again just now to be sure of my words.
God blessed me with certain 'talents' (according to my abilities) to use in my trade/craft, Christian walk,
role as husband, father, friend of the gospel, etc, opportunities and responsibilities.
He expects me to be wise in investing these 'talents' to good use, AND, some of which includes income .

Excerpts;
‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’

His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.

29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance.
But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.

There is much scripture validating hard work to receive income for sustenance, and sharing.
There is scripture to validate investing the money for increase.
More income is not what is wrong,  it's the use of the increase that's important, good or bad.
I've said it many times before on this forum, I'm the richest man I know.

"It is not he who has little, but he                        
    who wants more who is poor".                

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On 1/4/2020 at 5:54 AM, Neighbor said:

Can't save because the cell phone service the cable tv the rent is too high. Yep sure enough, plus the  health insurance cost  is through the roof, and....

Just like retailers have their black Friday day each year and it moves to later and later in the calendar year because they are in the red longer into the year each year so is the consumer/worker. It is hard very hard work  to save; and then to not lose it to sickness or serious injury. 

It is real a very difficult issue to work within, but what real choice is there, got to just dig in and do more not less. 

The poor will always be with us, and many of us will be those poor.

I do not even have a TV. My cell is a prepaid at about $10 a month (and I do not use it really because I hate all phones but need it at times). I do not have some online streaming service. By American standards, I make a decent living wage (before taxes). After taxes and company benefits, kids (the ex is struggling in the job market and she is super smart), paying rent, school loans on a BS that did me nothing, and the car still needing repairs.... I live off Dollar Tree when I can still afford that. Some days I go without eating to save a buck.

I am one of those hard workers, but I lack the skills needed to keep going up. I worked at many jobs where there are rarely promotions, because no one above you were moving on. I have had to survive now for decades just "making it" no matter how hard I have tried.

So not everyone is spending money on $100 cell phones, cable TV, Netflix, $60 sneakers, and such.