• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, Willa said:

The same Greek word is used for both.  Faith is a noun or name and believe is a verb or action word.    They are saying that faith is associated with actions that demonstrate or are produced by their faith.  Believe means trusting in and relying on God or upon His word in the Bible.  Does that help?

My daughter BELIEVES that jets can fly.She refuses to board one.She has no FAITH in them .God makes Promises- If you really Believe them , you will act upon them.That’s what Faith is.I hope that makes sense.I have Faith that it will.....lol...

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

30 minutes ago, Willa said:

The same Greek word is used for both.  Faith is a noun or name and believe is a verb or action word.    They are saying that faith is associated with actions that demonstrate or are produced by their faith.  

"faith associated with actions" - sounds the same as "faith and works".

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

2 hours ago, RogerDC said:

"faith associated with actions" - sounds the same as "faith and works".

I was taught that it is not faith or works; it is faith THAT works.  True faith will produce works.  Faith without works is dead, says James.  We are saved by our faith.  Works are not necessary if a person dies before they have the opportunity to produce works.  A person is born again due to their faith.  Then the Holy Spirit in them produces works.  He produces love, joy, peace patience, kindness, goodness,  gentleness, faithfulness and self control.  

People point out the thief on the cross.  He believed that Jesus was the Christ and his Lord.  He said, "Lord when you come into Your kingdom, remember me."   His saving faith produced this  work,  a confession of his faith.    

Rom 10:10  For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.  Rom 10:13  For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Eph 2:8  For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  Eph 2:9  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  Eph 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Our purpose is to do good works.  When we were born again God started changing our attitudes so that we take joy in allowing Christ to live in us.  We don't have to do good works.  We want to do good works by His Spirit and glorify God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, RogerDC said:

What is "believing faith"?  I can't find that term in the Bible.

Try a dictionary... or ask any English Teacher.

(You have been reported)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

WORDS FROM THE LORD JESUS 

LUKE 14:27 and whosoever doth not bear his cross and come after ME cannot be MY disciple 

JOHN 8:31 then said JESUS to those jews which believed on HIM --if you continue-- in MY word then are you MY disciples indeed 

LUKE 14:28 for which of you intending to build a tower sitteth not down first and counteth the cost whether he have sufficient to finish it --14:29-- lest haply after he laid the foundation and is not able to finish it all that behold it begin to mock him

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MATTHEW 9:37 then saith HE to HIS disciples the harvest truly is plenteous --but the labourers are few --9:38--PRAY YOU THEREFORE--THE LORD of the harvest that HE will send forth labourers into HIS harvest 

ACTS 14:26 and thence sailed to Antioch from whence they had been recommended to the grace of GOD for the work which they fulfilled 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 THESSALONIANS 1:3 remembering ---WITHOUT CEASING---your work of faith and labor of love and patience of hope in our LORD JESUS CHRIST in the sight of our GOD AND OUR FATHER

2 THESSALONIANS 1:8  in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that --know not GOD--and that obey not the gospel--of our LORD JESUS CHRIST

1 PETER 1:25 but the word of THE LORD endureth forever and this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you 

ACTS 5:20 go stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life 

*******PROVERBS 8:8 all the words of MY MOUTH are in righteousness there is nothing froward or perverse in them*******

LOVING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

21 hours ago, Willa said:

I was taught that it is not faith or works; it is faith THAT works.  True faith will produce works.  Faith without works is dead, says James

Our good works demonstrate our love for God - "If you love me, you will keep my commandments" (John 14:15).   If God programs us like robots to do good works as a result of faith, those works don't demonstrate our love of God; rather  they are just meaningless acts of mindless instinct.  God wants us to demonstrate our love for Him by works that are a result of our 0wn free will.

Having said that, the grace that comes with faith allows the believer to more easily recognize and resist sin and conform to the will of God, but repenting and resisting the temptation to sin is the result of our own free will.  Grace does not turn believers into good-works robots; grace can be resisted and a believer can choose to do bad works instead of good works.

Edited by RogerDC

21 hours ago, Willa said:

People point out the thief on the cross.  He believed that Jesus was the Christ and his Lord.  He said, "Lord when you come into Your kingdom, remember me."   His saving faith produced this  work,  a confession of his faith.

The thief also defended Jesus when the thief on the other cross mocked/criticized Jesus - that is "works".  

Regardless, using the exceptional example of someone about to die represents a poor argument for the doctrine  of "faith alone".  

Furthermore, if the thief did no works but was saved on the basis of "faith alone", that means he was saved by "dead" faith, as James says - "faith without works is dead".      

Edited by RogerDC
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

You have been reported

Really?  Why?

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

37 minutes ago, RogerDC said:

The thief also defended Jesus when the thief on the other cross mocked/criticized Jesus - that is "works".  

Regardless, using the exceptional example of someone about to die represents a poor argument for the doctrine  of "faith alone".  

Furthermore, if the thief did no works but was saved on the basis of "faith alone", that means he was saved by "dead" faith, as James says - "faith without works is dead".      

Salvation is a gift from God.  Rom 6:23 ESV  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Eph 2:8  For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  Eph 2:9  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

We are saved by our faith, not by works.  Works are the result of that faith.  There will be works that are produced by the Holy Spirit in us.  Christ in us produces works just as He did 2000 years ago.  I totally agree and shouldn't have to repeat all of this.  Works that are produced by self effort produce self righteousness.  Works produced by the Holy Spirit are accompanied by the fruit of the Spirit--love, joy, peace, meekness etc.  The thief did have saving faith that did produce works.  It is pointless to speculate about IF.  The works did not save him.  God saved him and the life of Christ in him produced works.  Yes we can resist doing those works just as we could have resisted the call of God to salvation.  Those who resist salvation may do so and never be saved as did the Jews at Steven's stoning.  Even Saul hardened his heart till God stopped him in his tracks and got his attention.  We seem to be saying the same thing.  The works that were prepared for us will be blessed by our lives being abundant and fulfilling.  

I do know people who received Christ when they were about to die, one who dedicated his life to serving Christ and when saved by a miracle, did follow through and ran a Christian camp for many years.  Most are saved when they were younger.

Act 13:48  ESV And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

The word also says that those who were appointed to eternal life believed.  I am trying to reconcile that verse with all I stated above.  I don't fully understand.

• Praise God! 1