• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

I can't believe people have bought into the Live 8 conference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You probably could sell some people oceanfront property in Arizona. PT Barnum is quoted "A sucker is born every minute." We see it everyday.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You probably could sell some people oceanfront property in Arizona. PT Barnum is quoted "A sucker is born every minute." We see it everyday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean there isn't ocean front property in Arizona? :)

What about Kansas and Nebraska, cause I bought some there too.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I think I would be stretching it a bit to presume that these live8 groupies resemble the same kind of folks likey to be suckered into the Antichrists' rhetoric and lies. But the time is comming when, I have no doubt, the antichrist will mask his dark objective with a seemingly noble and worldly message. We must remain vigilant and aware so as not to be decieved into doing anything contrary to Gods will.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I even heard the erstwhile Pat Robertson pumping it up! Unbelievable!

You could tell folks you were going to be 'baptizing them in the name of Judas Iscariot for the retention of sins' and get some folks to come out, I guess....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The main ideas of Live 8 were (a) to raise awareness of the fact that 3rd world countries are crippled by debt; and (b) to demonstrate to politicians, in particular the G8 world leaders, that the general public wants something to be done to alleviate this situation.

I agree that the idea of debt relief, on its own, is flawed. There does need to be accountability and an end to corrupt government (I would like to see an embargo on selling luxury goods to these nations but this would probably just end up encouraging a black market.)

I would prefer to see a greater effort to get people to actually go to crisis areas - perhaps a campaign to get employers to "donate" anyone who wants to go by continuing to pay their wages while they're away.

But this campaign is much better than nothing; if anything it's making sure people can't ignore the issue and maybe making them think about what they can contribute to the solution.

Bono Scares me.

He's buddy buddy with Bill Gates and supports planned parenthood :noidea:

Calls himself a christian :24:  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Bono is very reluctant to be publicly called a Christian, because he is sick of people like you pointing the finger at him and shaking your head.

RE: the "goodie bags" - these appear to only have been present at the Philadelphia gig. If anything it is the corporate sponsors who are attempting to exploit the profile of the concert and the popularity of the artists by donating such items; I doubt the artists who volunteered their services were swayed by this. (I'm pretty sure Bob Geldof wouldn't have let it happen at the London gig!)

I agree that people may well have had mixed motives for participating - the "free publicity" accusation has been levelled too. But we're all human; we're sinners so we always have mixed motives. (That's why we're sat here talking about poverty and not there with the poor... :24: )

We must remain vigilant and aware so as not to be decieved into doing anything contrary to Gods will.

How can taking action to alleviate the situation in Africa be contrary to God's will? Please read Matthew 25.

I agree that the real heroes in Africa are the ones who give up their time, their jobs and their friends to go there and make a difference. These are the people whose names we'll never see on the bill of a star-studded concert or shaking hands with world leaders. These are the people who are out there now while the rest of the Western world is slowly, reluctantly beginning to take notice of the situation.

But anything at all is better than nothing.

And even those who do nothing are better than those who sit and scoff at those who are trying to do something.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/01/2003

In response to the World Vision issue... I don't know too much about them. I am, however, a huge supporter of World Relief. Of all the christian-based relief organizations, they have the highest percentage of money go towards relief efforts and the least ammount go towards marketing and/or operating costs. I appreciate that very much. I met the president Clive Calver 6 years ago and have the highest respect for him.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/10/1990

I actually think it was a great idea. I heard that there was about 7 MILLION people at the Philidelphia and the London one put together. (Correct me if I was misinformed). The only thing I wish would have happened was at least one "Christian" band showing up. Think how many people they could have reached then.

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

And all this time I thought they were raising a heap of money for Africa.... :b::b::b::):):taped:

Yomo

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Frankly I don't care....

I'm watching Deep Purple from the Toronto show on some AOL thingy...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it just me, or were they awful? :noidea: