• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I just read on my news app the 'confessions of a slaughterhouse worker'. It is tough reading. I am disturbed by it as i like animals and know the love of my own pets.  

The Bible and Christianity do not forbid us to eat meat as far as i know. Of course animal killing for sacrifice is frequent in the Bible. 

Yet, is it right to do this to animals? I doubt many of us would eat meat if we had to kill first or if we saw the reality. We are insulated from the real horror in this modern world but it is worth thinking about surely? 

What is your view? 

God did give us animals to eat. I am glad that I am not in the position to go out and kill my own food. Their are butchers in our world who do this for us. They are payed well to dress the animals that we eat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Have you seen a Halal abbatoir? Have you seen how cleanly and quickly and painlessly the animals are slaughtered? They use the same methods as described in the first five books of the Bible, except nearly all the animals are stunned first, so they are unconscious

Why do you think Halal is worse?

Oh sorry. I stand corrected. I thought they cut the animals throat and let it bleed out - no stunning. I assume i am wrong. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,519
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

38 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

I thought they cut the animals throat and let it bleed out

That is exactly how chickens are killed for kosher preparation. It is not that the animal does not suffer at all. The phrase is instead that they are not to  excessively suffer.

Life is not delicate. It is not for the weak.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.36
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

4 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I've thought of becoming a vegetarian but haven't found a way to get all the types of proteins I need without meat. And even if I could find out how to do that, finding a healthy vegetarian diet while traveling can be challenging. I tried a beans and rice frozen dinner (I heard such a meal would cover all the types of protein - I don't know how to cook), but it gave me some digestion problems.

Just eat very little meat and way more veggies .  I found this to be the best diet .

IF GOD himself said in genesis , later ,  that he gave them every green herb ,  and then later adds now meat and etc .   Just keep the meat to a low .

Eat no fat red meats ,   eat mostly chicken , fish , and very lean read meat on occasion and largely with vegetables .  I notice that cabbage , spinach

asparagus ,  lots of greens , help aide in digestion and regular bowel movements .   A lil gas might be involved , but once you equal it out , even that abates .

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,437
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Short of taking time to verify everything in the Bible, from memory these are my opinions and thoughts.

Prior to Noah's flood, eating flesh was prohibited by the Lord. I highly suspect Adam and all the animals were vegetarian. Immediately after Noah got off the ark, the Lord allowed man to eat anything that moved [Gen. 9:3] and shortly thereafter gave dietary laws of the cloven and un-cloven, clean and unclean. I take De. 12: 15-21 to mean they could now eat of the unclean and clean animals.

The two dietary laws I believe that are still in effect today are; we are not to eat blood, nor anything that was strangled. If I am mistaken with the 'blood & strangulation" and these restrictions were rescinded, please correct me.

We loves us meat with every meal. I personally think for health reasons; the less red meat we eat the healthier we may be? As a general rule; we don't have to cook fruits and vegetables to a certain temperature to kill chitlins worms, parasites, mad cow, avian, etc. Not to mention what fat and cholesterol does to the heart,  circulatory system and digestion. 

I interpret scripture; if it moves, we can kill it and eat it. If you're carnivorous and don't hunt and fish, it's being done in your stead. I'm thinking about of bucket of KFC as I'm writing this  :D

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

One should mainly eat fruits and veggies, and I'd love to get to that point, but I have a hard time prying myself away from meat and grains. I really need to, though.

Now, it's not that I don't love animals, but to me, animals are animals. They are not people. They can still feel fear and pain, so if I had to kill in order to eat, I'd try to be sneaky and aim for the head or heart, to make it swift. I've done research on survival, and trying to imagine myself in a survival situation, I'd stick to mainly flora and only eat fauna when a predator decides to pick a fight with me. No random bunnies or anything, but the odd boar or wolf that threatens me.

I hear tales of hunters, too. Coyote season and you've got nutjobs on four-wheelers running them over and laughing about it. Trackers who could get a clean kill, but shoot a non-lethal area because apparently, looking at blood splatter and broken twigs is somehow super fun and not boring as can be. All the while, the animal is fleeing for it's life in fear and pain, eventually collapsing from exhaustion while the hunter is miles back staring at some dirt. There is a lack of mercy and an abundance of cruelty - even if "an animal is an animal," it still deserves respect.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I just read on my news app the 'confessions of a slaughterhouse worker'. It is tough reading. I am disturbed by it as i like animals and know the love of my own pets.  

The Bible and Christianity do not forbid us to eat meat as far as i know. Of course animal killing for sacrifice is frequent in the Bible. 

Yet, is it right to do this to animals? I doubt many of us would eat meat if we had to kill first or if we saw the reality. We are insulated from the real horror in this modern world but it is worth thinking about surely? 

What is your view? 

The bible doesn't say anything about being vegan, or not eating meat.  In fact, it says a lot about eating meat.

So Biblicaly, there is nothing wrong with a porterhouse steak.

Basically it's a choice.  If you want to be vegan, then be vegan.

As for doubting people would eat meat if we saw the horror....  No, I don't think that's true.  All of my extended family came from farms, and many still live on farms, and they cut the heads of chickens, and turkeys, and slaughtered their cows.   This is normal.   People have been killing animals, and eating them since the end of the Garden of Eden.

So no, I highly doubt that people would stop eating meat, because they saw cows being killed or something.   Never stopped humans in 6,000 years, doubt it will now.

My personal view is two-fold.   Right now I just sent in my donation to a charity that helped a 16 year old girl, escape from sex trafficking.

My point is...  which is more important?

Second view is....  and this is entirely my personal experience....  the people I know who are vegans are all unhealthy.  All of them.  They all have health issues.   Is there a connection between veganism and health issues?  Everyone tells me no... but yet every single vegan I know, has endless health problems.  Every single one of them.

I don't know if that is a fluke, but it sure is a consistent fluke.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

10 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

the people I know who are vegans are all unhealthy. 

Pfft... Try convincing Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr they are unhealthy vegans in their ripe old age. 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,519
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, LonerAndy said:

The Bible and Christianity do not forbid us to eat meat as far as i know.

Hi,

Not only doesn't forbid, it gives instruction how to prepare it even, and how to eat it in some circumstance. 

Of course one can feel pain in the death  of an animal to be consumed. That is the why  of the perfect young lamb  being raised in the house , kept as a pet, and then slaughtered. Killed as sacrifice, eaten, and the blood used as covering. 

Ordinarily one does not name the animals to be prepared for food.

At one time our family had turkeys many thousands of them. Later the family had chickens and had rabbinical kosher supervision and  approval. Bloody??  Oh yes! It is still in my mind half a century or more later. All those, ... well I won't describe it.

I give thanks to God for it all, asking that it (The meat and fat may benefit my body). Then I consume it and enjoy  it's flavor and benefit to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

18 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

What is your view? 

I do kill, and slaughter my own meat on a regular basis, in a lot less sanitary environment then a slaughterhouse as I'm a hunter. I do it all by hand either on my pickup bed or hanging from a clothesline or tree, whatever is handiest. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

So to answer your question I have absolutely no issue with slaughterhouses. Or eating meat. I'll Chow down on a good steak from Ruby Tuesday's just as fast as my home made deer jerky. God gave us meat to eat-i say eat it.

With that said, I do think that people today do take their food for granted. And if for whatever reason they lost access to the supermarket-would be at a complete loss. I think it would be good for everyone to go hunting-or at least accompany a hunter on a trip-at least once in their lives. It will give people a higher appreciation for the food they eat.

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1