IGNORED

What is your interpretation of this scripture?

joebloggs

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

9 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

You can trust the Bible to be an accurate account of what it witnesses to.  If it says God said something, then God said it. If it says something happened, it happened.

The letters of Paul are genuine. It doesn't mean Paul was right 100% of the time.

wow

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,360
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

To get back on topic with the OP. Back in the day, men sat on one side of the building and the women on the other. When something was said that the women didn't understand, they would call out to their husband asking, "what does he mean.?" The women were asked to "keep silent" till they were at home and ask for explanations there in the privacy of their homes, at least, that is my understanding of the situation, God bless.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

13 minutes ago, other one said:

wow

Only Jesus was divine.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

38 minutes ago, other one said:

wow

The purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to God. We weren't meant to worship it, though. Worship God.

Edited by johnthebaptist

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

The purpose of the Bible is to introduce us to God. We weren't meant to worship it, though. Worship God.

LoL     believing something is true isn't worshiping it....      I just can't fathom your view of the Bible, even with it's translation problems....   something totally new to me...   but we all have the free will to do and think what we will...    guess I should apologize for being surprised...

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,445
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

In this day of all inclusiveness, women's equality and political correctness. I'll just comment that the Bible is expressly clear on the roles and qualifications of Pastors, Elders, Deacon's; the role, activities and conduct of men and women in the family and church leadership, all in relation to Jesus Christ our Lord.  

Paul never misspoke; I know of only 'once' where Paul gave a personal opinion. And that was if a man should get married or not and risking fornication. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, joebloggs said:

what do you think this scripture intends to communicate to us

I think it means  "Here we go again! "

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,212
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

The verse. When was that spoken and to whom? Those times were SO different and nothing like we are today.  If it helps how did Peter feel about none Jews getting saved? :) 

The WORD OF GOD. Forgive me not trying to boast. I have seen so many wonders from my Father. Can be from how PERFECT HOLY I am NOT! I just read His word.. since I was very young I took Him at His word. I still have that bible. SO many scriptures underlined, circled. They just keep popping out. So if HE said it I don't doubt. Have you not had times when with someone GOD tells you something about them (always to help and points to Christ) that you never knew and they are like "how did you know that?". Or maybe something like this has happen to you. Where your at some pub (Christian  music) while your listening this crosses your mind "Behold I stand at the door and knock". And you think "wow I wonder what that is" and what comes right back is "Rev 3:20". And you kinda laugh and say.. I am just guessing.. 

And PRAISE GOD.. that was it! You then (since your about 19y) try to run to everyone to tell them what just happen. No one was overjoyed as much as me. See at that time I had NEVER read the book of Rev. No clue where that verse was. I could keep going but.. then just shows of me. Sorry. My POINT is.. GOD/Yeshua/Holy Spirit are real. And He can say ANY time He wanted "write this down". Or bring back in your mind the past and give you ever word spoken. Its always been there with me. Just blind faith. Well Hes real.. so then His word is real. His word is Him. There is NOTHING that is made that was not made BY HIM.

As He once said to me... "When GOD tells you to do something you don't question it" See before that He said something and I smiled and said "why" lol You don't have to believe it. But what happen just before and after...it was awesome

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

You must read the quote in context of the entire chapter and the entire book.

Paul is talking to a church that is a SUPER hot mess.

•  They " boasted" in the immorality of their chuch.
  •  The stuffed their faces with the Lord's Supper as if it is a family meal or wine tasting.
  •  The worship services are chaotic.
  •  And more.

Chapter 14 [beginning in verse 26] says 3 groups of people must keep silent and stop the chaos.

1.  Most of those speaking in tongues.  He says ONLY two or three, one at a time, and only if there is an interpreter.  If there is no interpreter, those speaking in tongues must "keep silent".
  2.   Most of those with a prophetic word.   Only two or three with a prophecy [word from God] may speak and the whole congregation must weigh the words.  If one person is speaking and prophesying and a second person stands to prophecy, then the first person must "keep silent".
  3.  As for women "keeping silent", Paul has already said in chapter 11 that women may pray and prophecy in a worship service as long as their heads are covered.  So - what is he talking about in chapter 14?  I thinks it's clear cut.  It's the wives asking questions out loud.  Husbands were accustomed to participating in synagogue.  Wives were not accustomed to corporate worship.  These particular wives were asking too many questions out loud and he said for them to ask their husbands at home.

Read the whole of 1 Corinthians.  The church was in bad shape.  Chaos reigned.  Paul told them how to modify their worship services so that peace and orderliness reigned.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

9 hours ago, joebloggs said:

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (NIV)

34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

what do you think this scripture intends to communicate to us?

We just covered this topic about a month ago. :whistling:

• Well Said! 1