IGNORED

What is your interpretation of this scripture?

joebloggs

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, joebloggs said:

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (NIV)

34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

what do you think this scripture intends to communicate to us?

We have had many discussions on this on Worthy. It is about women not taking the roll of a Pastor of a Church. They can be teachers.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Wow I didnt expect so many responses. Thankyou all for sharing your thoughts on this one.

There seems to be a little variety in peoples view of this scripture as was to be expected. 

I think I agree it is probably to be viewed in light of it's time and place. I dont think my Spirit agrees it's righteous to silence women in gatherings of disciples in the current time. For them not to be meddlesome and go on and on I think is applicable today as it was then. The same could be said for men too but I dont think that seems to be a biological tendency like it is for women.

Thanks for your help people.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

AH beloved silence so us men can nap...

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

HE must increase but I must decrease ???

PSALM 12:1 help LORD for the godly man ceaseth for the faithful fail from among the children of men 

PSALM 12:4 who have said with our tongue will we prevail our lips are our own --- who is LORD over us 

ACTS 10:34 then peter opened his mouth and said of a truth I perceive that GOD is no respecter of persons --10:35-- but in every nation he that feareth HIM and worketh righteousness is accepted with HIM

1 PETER 1:25 but the word of THE LORD endureth forever and this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you 

COLOSSIANS 3:18 wives submit yourselves unto your own husbands as it is fit in THE LORD 

1 CORINTHIANS 11:3  but I would have you know that the head of every man is CHRIST and the head of the woman is the man and the head of CHRIST IS GOD 

1PETER 3:1 likewise you wives be in subjection to your own husbands that if any --obey not the word -- they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives 

1 TIMOTHY 2:11  let the woman learn in silence with all subjection --2:12-- but I suffer not a woman to teach or to usurp authority over the man but to be in silence 

EPHESIANS 5:24 therefore as the church is subject unto CHRIST so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing --5:25-- husbands love your wives even as CHRIST loved the church and gave himself for it --5:26-- that HE might sanctify and cleanse it ---with the washing of water by the word---

MARK 13:31 heaven and earth shall pass away but MY WORDS shall not pass away 

ROMANS 2:11 for there is no respect of persons with GOD

1 CORINTHIANS 14:37  if any man think himself to be a prophet or spiritual let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you --- ARE THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE LORD ---

*******HEBREWS 4:11 LET US LABOR THEREFORE TO ENTER INTO THAT REST LEST ANY FALL AFTER THE SAME EXAMPLE OF UNBELIEF*******

LOVING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 1/7/2020 at 1:49 PM, joebloggs said:

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (NIV)

34 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

what do you think this scripture intends to communicate to us?

I think it means exactly what it says.    During church, they should listen and learn.  After church, ask about all the questions they have.

My own mother practices this.  I never heard her argue or talk, or discuss things in church.  But I can remember dozens, if not hundreds of times after church "What does this mean?  What does that mean?  How does that work?"  and so on.

And I would suggest that this is why my mother was so loved and respected in the church.  In fact, when the elders of the church had a problem, they would come to my mother and ask her to help with it.   We had a women show up at my parents church, and she was just sitting and crying in the pew (this was years ago now), and the elders saw her.  They went to my mother, and asked her to help the woman.  Turns out her and her husband were from Iran.  They escaped, because the Iranians were slaughtering the scientists in the nuclear program, when it didn't work.   Her husband was part of the program, and knew he would be killed.

So the point is, out of all the women in the church, it was my mother who lived out this teaching, that the elders came to.

Now just to clarify, obviously the passage does not mean that when a woman walks into church, they magically become mute unable to talk.   Obviously talking was involved to find out the lady was from Iran, and her story.   Besides, I think their heads would explode if we tried that. 

But it has to do with arguing over the bible in church, and speaking up during sermons and such.   The best example I can give of the opposite of my mother, was one lady who tried to run everything she could in the church.  Kept interrupting during congregational meetings and such.  She eventually left the church, and quite frankly, wasn't missed.

So I'm not talking about all the women after church, talking about so-and-so's recital, or wedding plans, or so on that women talk about all the time.  Obliviously there is nothing wrong with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

What does that mean for female pastors?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

19 minutes ago, Deeplytroubled said:

A female is a women. So the scripture tells us that women should not be pastors of a Church. Although they can teach. Such as Sunday School or Bible study. 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

26 minutes ago, Deeplytroubled said:

That's a very good question and I'm glad you asked. There are numerous remote regions throughout the world, where there may not be a man qualified, knowledgeable, and/or called to minister the word of God. It does exist in our world today, and probably more than we might realize. I believe the Apostle Paul is speaking primarily about a church body that is equipped accordingly with male ministers and elders. No mention of female elders are spoken of in the bible. Prophetesses, yes. But not women elders. At least not from Paul's teachings there aren't. I hope this answers your question adequately. God bless. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

1 minute ago, Margo1945 said:

I still say the best "person" for the need, gender not the only determining factor .. all that women may do out of place in Church, men can and do the same .. as for speaking up and questioning the content of the sermon while it is being delivered should be avoided by all - men, women, children - UNLESS what the pastor or speaker is saying really amounts to heresy .. UNLESS there is a really pressing need to speak out immediately, any - man, woman, boy, girl - should wait till after the service and, then, approach the pastor or speaker or whomever seemed to create an issue to be considered .. 

Not here to argue.  I stand by what I said.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

15 minutes ago, Margo1945 said:

and I by what I said .. lol

Good for you, sister. 

453936304_bravosmiley.gif.d8b1987e4e6ce88705243ba5aedd0283.gif