IGNORED

What is your interpretation of this scripture?

joebloggs

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

26 minutes ago, OneLight said:

With that mind set - if it is ok today, it was ok then - tells me that you conform your beliefs in scripture to your life instead of conforming your life to scripture.  That is just the opposite of what scripture tells us.

If something was a sin then, it is a sin now.

14 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

The Apostle Paul was a man of tremendous revelation from the Lord, and most of our New Testament was inspired writings directly from him. Doctrine was revealed to him, and the church established Christianity from Paul through the Holy Spirit. He was passionate in the faith of his calling, and did comment on occasion that it was himself and not the Lord's commision. Those have been posted previously. But angry? I don't think so, John. Why do you feel this was the situation? The only times I can see where he might have had righteous indignation was when sin had entered into the body of Christ. Those writings do indicate he was upset. That again was impressed of the Holy Spirit.   

Paul was a great missionary and we can learn much from his letters. 

2 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Do you believe that ALL scripture is inspired by God,and is  His Word ?

I do not believe God told Paul to tell women not to speak in church. I don't think God told Paul that women should submit to their husbands, unless he was implying men should also submit to their wives. I have trouble with what he said about obeying our elected officials, as I remember how Hitler had his people kill 6 million Jews. There is a verse in Psalms about taking the children or your enemies and dashing them against a rock that I have trouble with.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Just now, johnthebaptist said:

If something was a sin then, it is a sin now.

That is not what you are saying.  You are telling us God was wrong to allow Paul to write what he did in 1 Corinthians 14:34 about how women should conduct themselves in a synagogue.  You are telling us that we need to ignore scripture you don't like.

I had asked you earlier, but you never responded.  Have you studied or researched how the culture was in Paul's days concerning worship and the synagogue?

1 minute ago, OneLight said:

That is not what you are saying.  You are telling us God was wrong to allow Paul to write what he did in 1 Corinthians 14:34 about how women should conduct themselves in a synagogue.  You are telling us that we need to ignore scripture you don't like.

I had asked you earlier, but you never responded.  Have you studied or researched how the culture was in Paul's days concerning worship and the synagogue?

It is exactly what I am saying. Paul said women shouldn't speak in church. If he was speaking for God, then women shouldn't speak in church then or now.

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

It is exactly what I am saying. Paul said women shouldn't speak in church. If he was speaking for God, then women shouldn't speak in church then or now.

So, you are looking at today and how we live our lives and comparing it to how they lived then, informing us that if we do it today, it should of been ok back then.  What about abortions?  It's ok to have an abortion today, so says the world, so it must of been OK back then.  Can't you see how backwards your theology is?  Because the world is sinning much more today then ever before, you are saying it should of been the same back then.

As I said before, you can't cherry pick scripture you like and ignore the rest.  What was the synagogue like in Paul's days?  Just because you don't like something, or don't understand something, doesn't mean it was wrong.  It means you don't have a proper understanding of the scripture.

17 minutes ago, OneLight said:

So, you are looking at today and how we live our lives and comparing it to how they lived then, informing us that if we do it today, it should of been ok back then.  What about abortions?  It's ok to have an abortion today, so says the world, so it must of been OK back then.  Can't you see how backwards your theology is?  Because the world is sinning much more today then ever before, you are saying it should of been the same back then.

As I said before, you can't cherry pick scripture you like and ignore the rest.  What was the synagogue like in Paul's days?  Just because you don't like something, or don't understand something, doesn't mean it was wrong.  It means you don't have a proper understanding of the scripture.

If something was a sin back then, it is a sin today.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.66
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Paul cared deeply for the welfare of the saints and the local churches that he labored for. This is very clear throughout Acts and his letters.

He cared so much that he was willing to be beaten and killed. Even more than these things and what informed his walk, was his love and dedication to his Lord.

He had the equivalent of two PhDs. The law and the Gospel. His teachers in both realms were the best available.

:-)

Paul knew full well the implications of his words and we can be assured he chose them carefully under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Paul cared deeply. Paul knew that when the saints gathered together, it was important that things were done in an orderly manner. Paul knew that disorderly distractions were just that. Distractions from whatever the Lord was doing in a meeting. He also knew that there were 'young in the Lord folks' there. And that those young ones in particular needed an orderly environment.

Paul cared and everything he said and did was driven by this.

The Holy Spirit makes things like this clear in a 'house church' environment when folks are sitting around and any member is given the freedom to speak as the Lord leads. In that environment, the Lord teaches us by experience, what works and what doesn't--as we look to His Headship in the Church.

I have not seen the Holy Spirit forbid women talking in a meeting. I have seen the Holy Spirit displeased with disorderliness and in those times there is correction--in love.

Everyone is blessed in those times and learns as the Lord blesses.

In a synagogue setting or a church assembly with pews and a podium, these things don't come to light so readily--unless of course someone in a pew starts being a distraction. Folks in that environment are trained by tradition to know that that isn't appropriate. Can you imagine a man or woman speaking out loud while a preacher is going on? This is not the same kind of environment, that existed in the early churches.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

I know that the scripture is of no private interpretation, but my father and mother have always interpreted this verse to mean that women cannot be pastors like men can. My mom has been at fault of judging women pastors because she thinks they are sinning.

4 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

If something was a sin back then, it is a sin today.

Since you don't want to have a conversation back and forth, but only protect your belief, this has come to an end.