IGNORED

What is your interpretation of this scripture?

joebloggs

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

I am dismayed to see that a few second guess the veracity of this scriptural text and even say that the Apostle Paul misspoke.  ALL scriptures are inspired by God. 

So what does this scripture mean:  At congregational meetings women could pray or prophesy, provided they wore a head covering (1Co 11:3-16). However, at what were evidently public meetings, when “the whole congregation” as well as “unbelievers” assembled in one place (1Co 14:23-25), women were to “keep silent.” If ‘they wanted to learn something, they could question their own husbands at home, for it was disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.’—1Co 14:31-35.

Of course women in the first century played a prominent role in the evangelizing work, as a woman could teach persons outside the congregation who desired to learn the truth of the Bible and the good news about Jesus Christ (compare Ps 68:11), as well as be a ‘teacher of what is good’ to younger women (and children) within the congregation. (Tit 2:3-5) But she was not to exercise authority over a man or dispute with men, as, for example, in the meetings of the congregation. She was to remember what happened to Eve and how God expressed the matter of woman’s position after Adam and Eve had sinned.—1Ti 2:11-14; Ge 3:16.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 1/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, Margo1945 said:

we are to avoid sin as much as possible but when we do succumb to sin from time to time, what do you say we need to do about such

The 1st thing we should do is confess the sin to God. Sometimes it can take yrs to realize something is sin, when we become aware of it we confess it. But after confessing it we should ask God's help in not doing it again.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

14 hours ago, RogerDC said:

This is typical feminist propaganda, desperately clutching at straws and twisting the truth in the process.  For starters, is not at all certain that Junia was even a woman.  And Junia was not not one of the Twelve; the term "apostle" is sometimes loosely used to denote a prominent disciple, not an actual apostle.

Also... being outstanding among the Apostles only means the Apostles thought of this person.

8 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

But I think it's wrong to suggest women are inferior to men, even if Paul thought as much.

It is a fine line between subordination and inferior... I don't believe Paul crossed it. I refer you to the

women he specifically named in his epistles for example. 

I too can cite my subordinate position in life as something making me out to be inferior as though I had a big 

chip on my shoulder... just because a mailman cannot be Governor is no reason for me to take it personally or 

as if I am being repressed or some such thing... life is miserable enough without copping an attitude like that.

Don't you think?

This all goes back to the curse in Genesis 3, doesn't it?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

20 minutes ago, JohnD said:

It is a fine line between subordination and inferior... I don't believe Paul crossed it. I refer you to the

women he specifically named in his epistles for example. 

I too can cite my subordinate position in life as something making me out to be inferior as though I had a big 

chip on my shoulder... just because a mailman cannot be Governor is no reason for me to take it personally or 

as if I am being repressed or some such thing... life is miserable enough without copping an attitude like that.

Don't you think?

If you walked into my church, and I ordered you to keep silent, would you think I'd crossed a line?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 1/9/2020 at 4:17 PM, johnthebaptist said:

First, I believe the Bible is a trustworthy account of the events to which it witnesses. If it said God or Jesus said something, then God or Jesus said it. We are bound to obey God and Jesus, and they said a lot.

I do not believe the epistle writers carried the same authority. They were wise men and we can learn much from them, but I don't think Paul was speaking for God when he told women to be silent in church or consider their husbands to be their masters.

I think you are treading on dangerous ground when you begin to pick and choose which of the Holy Scriptures fit your thinking. You are in error  not to  believe that God is speaking every Word by His Spirit. Take to heart what 2 Tim 3:16 says---and means---"All Scripture is God breathed..." The whole Book---every Word---has the very same Spirit in each of them as He has in all of them. There is no hidden meaning in the word, "ALL."

Otherwise, I am open to you finding Scripture that contradicts that and we can discuss it further. :)

1 minute ago, Coliseum said:

I think you are treading on dangerous ground when you begin to pick and choose which of the Holy Scriptures fit your thinking. You are in error  not to  believe that God is speaking every Word by His Spirit. Take to heart what 2 Tim 3:16 says---and means---"All Scripture is God breathed..." The whole Book---every Word---has the very same Spirit in each of them as He has in all of them. There is no hidden meaning in the word, "ALL."

Otherwise, I am open to you finding Scripture that contradicts that and we can discuss it further. :)

I don't put my faith in the Bible. I put my faith in God.

3 minutes ago, Coliseum said:

Just now, johnthebaptist said:

I don't put my faith in the Bible. I put my faith in God.

I believe the Bible is a truthful account of the events to which it witnesses. It quotes God and Jesus often, and we are bound to obey them. And I believe the epistles are all genuine.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to say everything the epistle writers said were inspired by God. I think Paul might have said three things that were not inspired by God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

9 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I believe the Bible is a truthful account of the events to which it witnesses. It quotes God and Jesus often, and we are bound to obey them. And I believe the epistles are all genuine.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to say everything the epistle writers said were inspired by God. I think Paul might have said three things that were not inspired by God.

Then I accept that you do not believe in the inerrancy of Scripture. That is your right when you defend it before God. You can believe something till the cows come home, but without anything more than your beliefs, all men can do the same. That is why the Spirit of God is in the whole Book---to prevent men from believing only what seems right in their own eyes. Blessings to you.

• Thumbs Up 1