IGNORED

What is your interpretation of this scripture?

joebloggs

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Just now, johnthebaptist said:

Paul was not talking about his own letters.

I believe the verse you quoted in Revelation is talking about the book of Revelation, not the entire Bible.

It means not to add or take away from the whole Bible :)

Deuteronomy 4:2

2 You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Margo1945 said:

well, in fairness to Paul, he did cite once or more that he was giving his own opinion about something .. 

3 minutes ago, Margo1945 said:

well, in fairness to Paul, he did cite once or more that he was giving his own opinion about something .. 

Where did you read that in the Bible?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 minutes ago, angels4u said:

It means not to add or take away from the whole Bible :)

Deuteronomy 4:2

2 You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

The person who wrote the book of Revelation had no idea his book was going to be in the Bible and would be the last book of the Bible, I don't believe.

16 minutes ago, Margo1945 said:

at one point Paul said something he was saying was not what he was commanded to say but was his own opinion .. I think it was the one about he advised that the apostles and disciples remain unmarried when doing the work of the Lord but that if they felt they needed to be married, then do so .. I think there was at least one other time but I don't recall it offhand

Can you give me the scripture he made up on his own?

37 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

The person who wrote the book of Revelation had no idea his book was going to be in the Bible and would be the last book of the Bible, I don't believe.

The whole Bible is the inspired word of God :) (including Revelation)

6 minutes ago, angels4u said:

The whole Bible is the inspired word of God :) (including Revelation)

I don't think God inspired Paul to say women shouldn't speak in church.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

1 hour ago, ravindran said:

I don't believe this is a gender specific instruction. Paul writes it as gender specific because it was women who were causing the issue in Corinthian Church at that time. The whole chapter deals with orderly worship inside Church. Paul talks about how people should not prophesy in tongues (to the congregation) when there is no one to interpret. How people should not talk over each other. Then he comes to this specific point. I think it is disgraceful for anyone (man or woman) to speak in the Church during a service. That is, speaking without being prompted by Holy Spirit. And in Corinthian Church the women were probably speaking up or speaking among themselves. If someone misses a point in the sermon because they were tending to their kids, it would be inappropriate to ask their spouse (audibly) what did he or she miss. If multiple people start doing this, it would quickly escalate to chaos. In Corinthian Church, the wives were doing this and Paul refers to women. The principle is for men as well, just as the whole chapter deals with orderly worship within a Church.

Do you think the wisdom behind this passage is simply dont chatter chatter through the church service. I think you might be on to a winner there. Seems to fit well.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

58 minutes ago, joebloggs said:

Do you think the wisdom behind this passage is simply dont chatter chatter through the church service. I think you might be on to a winner there. Seems to fit well.

yes right. That is what I truly believe Paul means here. Chatter and also being disruptive in Church. For example, someone cannot just stand up and give their opinion when the preacher is preaching. We all can accept that should not be done. So chatter and chatter or being disruptive. It is a no for both men and women.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.56
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

The Holy Spirit certainly inspired Paul to say those things. We just need wisdom and the Help of the Holy Spirit to understand how it affects us who aren’t Corinthians.

many of the practical portions in the epistles are not appropriately grasped in a scholarly manner, but rather in the context of the real life experiences of a local assembly.

Much of what Paul wrote take on full meaning in that context. Kinda like the difference between reading a mechanics manual and actually working on the car. It takes the theoretical into the experience.

32 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Logically, that means that you don't think the entire Bible is the Word of God,and every scripture is important.. 

If that is so, how will we know what parts are sanctioned by God, and what parts we can view as just human writers giving their own thoughts and opinions.

I am genuinely interested in this. It is a new and important idea.

I believe the Bible is a truthful history. God and Jesus are frequently quoted in the Bible, and we are bound to obey them. There is much to be learned from the rest of the Bible, but I don't think the epistle writers had the same authority as God and Jesus.