• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,362
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

Thursday 1-9-20, Tevet 13, 5780 5th. day of the weekly cycle, 20th. Winter day

Wise and Foolish Builders/Matthew Seven:24-27; Luke Six:47-49. The parable of the wise and foolish builders, also simply called the parable of the two builders, is told by Jesus to illustrate the difference between: Those who hear and act upon what they learn from Jesus.

Matthew Seven:24"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

Luke Six:47As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."

Love always, Walter and Debbie

Edited by Walter and Deborah
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash

Yes, "we" know it as building at Florida on the shifting sands upon the limerock.  Can be most devastating an experience, one that empties one's purse and may cost life itself.  Yet that is  but a practical temporal experience compared to the eternal devastation that comes from building one's eternity  upon one's own merit.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/10/2020 at 12:24 AM, Neighbor said:

Yes, "we" know it as building at Florida on the shifting sands upon the limerock.  Can be most devastating an experience, one that empties one's purse and may cost life itself.  Yet that is  but a practical temporal experience compared to the eternal devastation that comes from building one's eternity  upon one's own merit.

I don't believe the parable is alluding to this specifically, although there is nothing wrong with the assertion you just made. We are not justified with God the Father by any works that we do alone. We are justified by Faith in Christ. However that faith in Christ (if it is true faith) has evidence in our lives - this evidence being obedience to God's word, works that will not burn up, and fruit of the Spirit through abiding in Him.

The above parable refers to the comparison between those who hear the words of God and put into practice the teachings and commandments of the Lord, verses those who give mere mental assent but take no effort to do them. Luke 6v46 - why do you call me Lord, Lord and not do what I say. Those who heed the Word of the Lord will build up their houses (their lives) on a solid foundation. When life throws the curve balls that invariably come, their faith will remain solid.