Is purgatory real?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  467
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0

I can list the controversial passages and points. 

the witch of Endor and the spirit of Samuel (1Smauel Chapter 28) [You really think an earthly "witch" controlled by Satan, has the power to drag Samuel from Heaven, looking just like he did before he died - as an "old man"?  Not likely.  The witch pulled up a demon, who impersonated the prophet Samuel.]

Thief on the cross  (already discussed)

Enoch, Elijah, and Moses and the Saints resurrected by Christ - all now thought by most to be in Heaven.  [This I agree with.  But these are special OT incidents.  The rest of "the dead" sleep.]

Matthew 22:31-32  [Christ speaking] “But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, ‘I am the God of Abraham and the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob?’ God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.”  ["All live" to God because He can resurrect them from their "sleep".  We don't think of sleeping people as dead.  Neither does God.] 

The expression "gathered to his fathers".  [Most understand that the bones of the dead person were "gathered" together with bones of their ancestors in a cave.  Had nothing to do with going to heaven.]

"Out of the body, present with the LORD"  (2 Corinthians 12:2,3).  Paul's state while in vision - before his death, not after.

The rich man and Lazarus  (Luke 16:19-31)  [A parable about salvation for the Gentiles, with sanctimonious Jews left out. ]

Preaching to "spirits in prison  (1Peter 3:18-20) 

1 Thessalonians 4:14  “If we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him all who sleep in Jesus.”  [Keep reading on to verse 16-17.  The dead are all brought to be with Jesus at His glorious return.]

John 11:26  “And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”  [compare:  John 11:25  Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life: he who believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.”  compare:  Luke 20:35-36  “Those who are counted worthy to obtain that age, and the resurrection from the dead . . . nor can they die anymore.”   Those "in Christ" will "never die" the second death.  The first death is relatively unimportant. ]

NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES  [Documented in only 4% of resuscitations.  You would think there would be many more, if it is a real experience for everyone crossing over, who is brought back.  I am personally willing to agree that the 4% had real experiences in their minds.  I just think they could have been special visions from the LORD, to tell them to get serious about their lives, or in the case of children, messages to others around them.  There is also the possibility of demonic mind experiences.  We cannot dismiss that possibility.]  

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 1/12/2020 at 1:40 AM, Kenzie said:

I go to a catholic high school, I am non denominational christian. Yet my religion class is pushing that it is real. I don’t believe it is. Yet how do I back up that claim? Any advice is needed. Thank you!

Edit:

thank you to all who took time to respond. 
For some reason I cannot reply, so thank you!

I dont think purgatory is real, if it was real then why would god limit certain people to going there when everyone on the planet could go there and be purged of their sins. There is nowhere in the bible that states there is a place a person can purge themselves. It is a licence to sin, because people can sin all they want and then follow the core values and do the core things and be purged, it defeats the purpose of god being fair and just.