IGNORED

Is purgatory real?

1 minute ago, LonerAndy said:

...we won't have the evil desires of this cursed flesh we do now.  That's why death is part of this world.  The old and sin cursed, has to die.  Then for those born of the spirit, only the good remains.

That certainly sounds good to me!  I just feel bad for all of the Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc. that may find themselves condemned to an eternity of horrific suffering in Hell.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, K9Buck said:

That certainly sounds good to me!  I just feel bad for all of the Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc. that may find themselves condemned to an eternity of horrific suffering in Hell.  

Do you believe G-d will judge everyone fairly?  I do.  Everyone will be judged according to their own works.

Edited by LonerAndy

1 minute ago, LonerAndy said:

Do you believe G-d will judge everyone fairly?  I do.  Everyone will be judged according to their own works.

But if they haven't accepted Christ as their lord and savior while here on Earth, then they're condemned to Hell, correct?  

2 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

But if they haven't accepted Christ as their lord and savior while here on Earth, then they're condemned to Hell, correct?  

They will be judged fairly according to their deeds in life.   There is many places that suggest that people who reject G-d will be separated, and we call that hell, that G-d will judge everyone fairly. 

But you are right.  This is why we are called to reach out to the lost.   However, G-d is not unjust.  People will be judged fairly for what they have done.   I firmly believe that.  The G-d I serve is not one that just tosses people into horrible punishment without cause.  Everything will be dealt with fairly.    He will balance the scales, and deal justice to the evil, and punishment to the wicked, and give only what is deserved.

How does that work?  I don't know.  Find out when we get there.   But I do not believe in an unjust G-d.

Again,  you are right.  Everyone can be saved from their just punishment.   Now you see why Christians like myself give money and time to reach out to lost people.   This is why we try to reach as many as we can.

2 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

They will be judged fairly according to their deeds in life.   There is many places that suggest that people who reject G-d will be separated, and we call that hell, that G-d will judge everyone fairly. 

But you are right.  This is why we are called to reach out to the lost.   However, G-d is not unjust.  People will be judged fairly for what they have done.   I firmly believe that.  The G-d I serve is not one that just tosses people into horrible punishment without cause.  Everything will be dealt with fairly.    He will balance the scales, and deal justice to the evil, and punishment to the wicked, and give only what is deserved.

How does that work?  I don't know.  Find out when we get there.   But I do not believe in an unjust G-d.

Again,  you are right.  Everyone can be saved from their just punishment.   Now you see why Christians like myself give money and time to reach out to lost people.   This is why we try to reach as many as we can.

In other words, people CAN be saved AFTER dying here on Earth, correct?  People CAN be saved without accepting Christ as their savior during their lifetime, correct?  I guess that's what I believe too.  Like you, I believe that Jesus and God are just and merciful.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/11/2020 at 5:40 PM, Kenzie said:

I go to a catholic high school, I am non denominational christian. Yet my religion class is pushing that it is real. I don’t believe it is. Yet how do I back up that claim? Any advice is needed. Thank you!

Edit:

thank you to all who took time to respond. 
For some reason I cannot reply, so thank you!

Purgatory is not biblical. No, it is not real. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

14 hours ago, K9Buck said:

In other words, people CAN be saved AFTER dying here on Earth, correct?  People CAN be saved without accepting Christ as their savior during their lifetime, correct?  I guess that's what I believe too.  Like you, I believe that Jesus and God are just and merciful.  

No.  My only point was, G-d will judge people fairly.   He is a G-d of justice.

But no, once you are dead, you face the judgment.

When you said you felt sorry for people tossed into hell, I have a problem with that, because people choose where they go.  G-d is not forcing people into hell, they are choosing to go to hell, by rejecting G-d.

And I actually believe that "hell" is not a one-size thing.  I think people get consequences that fit how they lived.  Meaning that I think Stalin who killed 60 million people, will have a different "hell" than some guy that simply rejects G-d but otherwise, lives his life without harming others.  How does that work?  I don't know.  But the Jesus himself, says as much in Matthew 10:15.

G-d is a just, and fair, G-d.  G-d is not going to give the same punishment for littering, as slaughtering 60 million people.

But back to your question.... no.  It is appoint to man, once to die, and then Judgment.   Once you die, you face the consequences of your life.

I don't see any method in the Bible anywhere, for somehow getting saved after you face judgment.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

There is no such place as purgatory. Purgatory is a man invented place. God has revealed to mankind in His Word, His method of dealing with those who have never heard the gospel.
There are many billions of people who in the past, the present, and in the near future before Christ returns who have not and will not even hear the Name of Jesus mentioned, or the gospel preached.

As mentioned in a previous post, Paul stated in Rom. 2:12-16 that God will do right by every man according to the light they have recieved.

He said, "For as many as have sinned without the law shall also perish without law: and as many have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these having not the law, are a law unto themselves: which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the meanwhile accusing or excusing one another. In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them.
And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.
The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

I am comfortable understanding that the Judgement will be faced by ALL who have ever lived.   There's a whole library of books (a detailed record of each person's works?) against which the things we DID will be compared to His standard of justice and righteousness.  I think of this as "phase 1".

But there is clearly one singular book, unique...the Lamb's Book of Life.  ANYONE not recorded in that one singular book will end up in the lake of fire (phase II)....regardless of the "works" judgement.

But that does not mean "works" are meaningless.  I believe phase 1 will determine the level of reward the redeemed will walk in in the new heavens and new earth.   And it will also determine the degree of torment experienced by those whose names are not in the Book of Life.

Justice is one of the two foundation stones His Throne rests upon...the other is Righteousness.  We tend to think of justice in negative terms, but it's really a neutral word.  Justice recognizes and rewards what is righteous, as well as condemning and punishing what is unrighteous.  Justice is very black and white, eye for eye, tooth for tooth recompense for evil (punishment must fit the crime) as well as reward commensurate with the sacrifice required to do "good".

But works don't determine destination....only how we experience the destination determined by that one, singular, unique BOOK.....The Lamb's Book of Life.   There is ONE thing the Bible says trumps His Justice...and that is His mercy.   Refuse mercy, and the full weight of Justice will be brought to bear, for good or ill. 

Edited by Jostler

2 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

No.  My only point was, G-d will judge people fairly.   He is a G-d of justice.

But no, once you are dead, you face the judgment.

When you said you felt sorry for people tossed into hell, I have a problem with that, because people choose where they go.  G-d is not forcing people into hell, they are choosing to go to hell, by rejecting G-d.

And I actually believe that "hell" is not a one-size thing.  I think people get consequences that fit how they lived.  Meaning that I think Stalin who killed 60 million people, will have a different "hell" than some guy that simply rejects G-d but otherwise, lives his life without harming others.  How does that work?  I don't know.  But the Jesus himself, says as much in Matthew 10:15.

G-d is a just, and fair, G-d.  G-d is not going to give the same punishment for littering, as slaughtering 60 million people.

But back to your question.... no.  It is appoint to man, once to die, and then Judgment.   Once you die, you face the consequences of your life.

I don't see any method in the Bible anywhere, for somehow getting saved after you face judgment.

I'm confident that there are people who die without ever hearing the word of Christ.  My guess is that, upon their death, they are indeed judged and offered the opportunity to repent and accept Jesus as their savior, at which point they are saved, assuming that they accept Jesus.  However, this is contrary to the claim that people MUST accept Jesus BEFORE their physical death in order to be saved.  Do you agree with what I have written here?