• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

The problem of pain by C.S. Lewis is a wise book to buy.

Its quite hard reading (the English used) but if you get it and manage or instead read something easier then this will help you to realise that as Christians we will suffer and that it is not God who is to blame.

Its easier to get through the pain if you accept it.

A prudent purchase if life gets hard.

Dont forget that God will give you many joyful seasons too.

Edited by Sharky and George
Oh piglets! I meant easier not harder

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, Sharky and George said:

Its quite hard reading (the English used) but if you get it and manage or instead read something easier then this will help you to realise that as Christians we will suffer and that it is not God who is to blame.

Its harder to get through the pain if you accept it.

A prudent purchase if life gets hard.

Dont forget that God will give you many joyful seasons too.

It would seem to me that we all have suffered because we all have sinned. We can reduce the suffering by reducing our sin. We can eliminate our suffering by eliminating our sin. I think that's what the Lord wants us to do.

2 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Can you share the scriptures underlying your belief, @johnthebaptist? I'm reminded of tenets of the prosperity gospel which stipulate that suffering, illness, and poverty are signs that one lacks faith or is leading a sinful life.

In Matthew 4:17 Jesus says, "Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." In other words, if we repent of our sin, we will have peace of mind.

• Oy Vey! 1

1 minute ago, DustyRoad said:

That's your interpretation of one verse of scripture. How does that verse equate into your belief that hardship and suffering are related to sin in a person's life? How does your interpretation survive the book of Job?

There is a way to determine whether or not my interpretation is correct - repent.

As for the mystery of Job, I haven't solved it yet, but I don't see that as an excuse not to repent.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

4 hours ago, Sharky and George said:

Lewis's book : The Screwtape Letters is also a good one.

And its interesting that Atheist's all have one more thing in common, they all seem to blame God for it when their lives fly off the chain and into the pain, even tho they say "God is a myth".

This world has a lot of living Thorns in it, and you'll get stung by some as you go along.

What ive learned,  is that if you stay close to the Lord Jesus when all is well, its a whole lot easier to believe He will heal your situation, when all isn't well.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,764
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  128
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

I removed some personal attacks in this thread.  Lets stick to the topic at hand!  :)

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,060
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

12 hours ago, DustyRoad said:

That God proclaimed him to be a righteous man and yet he suffered so miserably? Job was accused of sin by others because of his troubles, too.  

One must understand in context of the declaration of Job's righteousness >by God< is not that Job was without sin but that He looked to God to deliver him from His sin....
Psalms 14:3
3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
KJV
Psalms 53:3
3 Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
KJV
Romans 3:10
10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
KJV
Romans 3:12
12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
KJV
1 Corinthians 6:5
5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

KJV

It has, since the fall, been one who looks to God to deliver them from themselves that is considered righteous by God through belief

Rom 4:3-5

3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
KJV

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,060
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

13 hours ago, Isaiah53NIV said:

Hi John,

I know of two very faithful individuals who suffered greatly from cancer. These individuals took good care of themselves, but still got sick. Both were very committed to Christ. They both left behind young spouses (one of them also left behind young children). Why did they suffer when they were so faithful? And I mean, these were two people who were praising God as they were suffering and glorifying His name. I believe people were saved due to the faith they showed. 

My opinion is that suffering is just part of this world. Jesus suffered a great deal while on this earth, and He is God! Why should we also not be expected to be put through trials and suffer? 

This is a verse to think about: 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 

We also learn to comfort others after going through suffering and pain. 

God's fire of testing is so unique that the hotter the fire and the more that burns away leaves a purity that those around cannot give an account for the why except that God 'IS' ...

I will not be a yes man or a grumpy old man, but instead seek the actual understanding as understanding is sweet and its what this tangled up world needs. Being impartial is good.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9 ESV

That is what the Word says.

So if you are having troubles then maybe consider WHERE it is coming from and IF it is after you have confessed being naughty.

Cancer is a serious thing so I say what I say with respect and the words WHERE and IF. I am NOT saying it was because of sin.

I am not saying this of them either but this is an example of what happens to the wicked who hurt us.

since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you,
2 Thessalonians 1:6 ESV

Actually feel the warm cosy love of your heavenly Father as He holds you in His arms and smashes the demons that surround you. He is saying, child I love you more than you will ever know.

I dont want you to automatically think you are doing something wrong when you suffer though.

Sometimes we get in a muddle like that.

Your heavenly Father loves you and wants to protect you e.g. if your Dad gives you a gentle smack on the wrist when you place your hand too near the fire, then you will have hopefully learnt through discipline, not to do it again. You do not get burnt now.

It is because He cares for you very much and wants the best for you.

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live?
Hebrews 12:5‭-‬9 ESV

Sorry if that is a lot to quote but it is important stuff. Obviously son means daughter also as man means mankind.

Bless you ?