creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

At a interview for a potential pastor, one of the candidates was asked what he thinks is the role of the pastor. His response was basically to lead the people's growth  but then he in a nutshell added on that  there was a need to wean people off of pastoral dependence i.e to develop them to  basically stop coming to the pastor for everything. If  necessary he can guide them to someone  who can better handle their issue instead of him. I

This kind of corresponds to something I read. The book (Pagan Christianity) basically said that in the early church ,the pastor was just a man selected to lead  and guide the believers spiritually but as time went on , due to outside influences and tradition  more and more prestige and more and more duties and expectations were piled  on.

THE RESULT:

People expect pastors to do far more than reasonable: Along with the usual conducting of services, they'll be expected do counselling for all different types of people, deal with finances, chart the churches development, visit the sick, preach at other churches (some overseas) church expansion  and repair etc. All the while, people forget he may have his own family and his own spiritual health to deal with.

The youll have people that expect him to be on call 24/7 to deal with problems when someone else could.Case in point - A pastor oncce told me he was called at around 4 am and had to leave home and visit a house. Why? The wife  found evidence that the husband was cheating and someone called him.  Honestly..... dont they think the pastor needs a good nights rest and couldnt someone else (relatives? neighbours , police?) be called to help.

THE RESULT(2)-

Huge amounts of pastors report feelings of depression, burnout, neglected spiritual or family life,even suidical thoughts. While many members can be  insensitive to how hard it can get . Ive heard someone ask something on the lines of-Why does a pastor need a vacation. Also, memebers who possess the training or potential to be used often sit idle

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

As impossible as it may seem. A fundamental change in the culture of some churches operate wherein theres a better division of work and more effective use of  people rather than pile too much on the pastor e.g- rather than come immediately to the pastor (who may not even have children)about problems with your teenager, why not be directed to the older couple who successfully raised 4 into adulthood

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

As impossible as it may seem.

Hi Doesn't seem impossible at all. I haven't been led to any church that doesn't work pretty much in this manner. Pastors  Elders Deacons Deaconesses and laypersons, all work for the good of the local church body of Christ. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

If a Pastor or Deacon of a Church assembly is feeling moments of depression or other demonic attacks, then it is highly recommended that they follow the guidelines set down by the Holy Spirit in the scriptures to combat these issues. 

A Pastor is responsible for the entire assembly and that which is taught/being taught as the truth of Gods word unto those which have been entrusted by the Holy Spirit to their keeping [keeping in Gods word].

If a Pastor is unable to fully minister unto their congregation, then its time they stepped down, for a Pastor is nothing without the comfort of the Holy Spirit to lead, guide and strengthen them in their daily tasks and no Pastor receiving the benefit of the Holy Spirit will be experiencing depression or any other demonic influence.

How are they teaching their congregation to stand against the wales/demonic influences of the devil if they are unable to do so themselves? 

Sounds like an in-depth study of 1 and 2 Timothy are in order.  

Also sounds like the Church establishment needs to seek a new Pastor through the Holy Spirit instead of human intuition. 

Just my bid 

JTF

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

4 hours ago, justthefacts said:

If a Pastor or Deacon of a Church assembly is feeling moments of depression or other demonic attacks, then it is highly recommended that they follow the guidelines set down by the Holy Spirit in the scriptures to combat these issues. 

A Pastor is responsible for the entire assembly and that which is taught/being taught as the truth of Gods word unto those which have been entrusted by the Holy Spirit to their keeping [keeping in Gods word].

If a Pastor is unable to fully minister unto their congregation, then its time they stepped down, for a Pastor is nothing without the comfort of the Holy Spirit to lead, guide and strengthen them in their daily tasks and no Pastor receiving the benefit of the Holy Spirit will be experiencing depression or any other demonic influence.

How are they teaching their congregation to stand against the wales/demonic influences of the devil if they are unable to do so themselves? 

Sounds like an in-depth study of 1 and 2 Timothy are in order.  

Also sounds like the Church establishment needs to seek a new Pastor through the Holy Spirit instead of human intuition. 

Just my bid 

JTF

But overwork and  burnout aren't demonic. Just natural consequences  or being overwhelmed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

OK, I will accept that for tho we are supernatural in spirit/spiritual bodies, we are still prawn to the weaknesses of this natural world while in these flesh bodies, but even still, I maintain that a Pastor should know his/her limitations and take the necessary steps to ensure that their congregation is ministered unto as needed and guided by the Holy Spirit. 

Godbless

JTF