• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

Actually as I've readhe didn't  use his money for the 

9 hours ago, Coliseum said:

As a youth, in the days of the depression, I was in Chicago. I happened to be with a young fellow from Seattle whose rich father sent him away because his stepmother did not want him around. He was a most knowledgeable, worldly young fellow. He knew all about Al Capone. I had wondered as a youngster how Al Capone could hold the city of Chicago in the palm of his hand. Well, this young fellow soon showed me. He took me to one of Al Capone’s speakeasies in the middle of town, right under the nose of forty policemen who patrolled up and down there every day. It was an astonishment to me to observe the illegal gambling and drinking.

But there was another side to Al Capone. Only the Lord knows how many thousands, and perhaps millions of dollars Al Capone poured into feeding the poor and taking care of widows and orphans. He had every precinct bound up in the hollow of his hand. When the time came to vote for aldermen or mayor, all of those people followed the slate of Al Capone to the "T", and the law could not touch him. The people who were starving to death were overwhelmed by his goodness and generosity.

Was Capone actually a worthy man? He was a gangster and a murderer of the vilest sort. The law-abiding citizens of the United States called Capone a leech, a curse, yet they were unable to touch him because of his good works. They finally sent him to the penitentiary because of income tax evasion. This is an illustration of how differently from God people look at their deeds.

….Pastor Criswell

1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV)
7  But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

When an unbeliever does good works, God sees them as filthy rags. But of the Christian...God created us to do what is beautiful in His sight, not of our own accord, but through Him who lives in us.

Not so fast there.  I read that Al didn't actually use that much of his money  for the donations  rather he strongarmed other businesses  to make "donations".

So basically he was making a good reputation for himself off of other peoples back.

Not that biblical is it now?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

40 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

So basically he was making a good reputation for himself off of other peoples back

He had an agenda for “making a good reputation” because his days were coming to an end. He was indicted in 1929 and AFTER that is when he took credit for the soup kitchen.

what was  special about 1929? Again, the Valentine’s Day massacre occurred. In 193o, Chicago literally declared war on Capone and that’s when he started to try and repair his public reputation in an attempt to sway public opinion since he believed the reason Chicago had a change of heart (meaning they were now relentlessly pursuing him) was because of public opinion-which was true. The press had turned on him after the brutal killings.

I’m not surprised a pastor would say that about Capone and other mobsters- they had priests and pastors on their payroll. In Joe Bananas autobiography, Man of Honor, he talks about  being friends with priests, Billy Graham and others and sending them gifts and donations.

Again, that pastor is crazy and every history book and mob biography  would disagree with him.