IGNORED

Such cruelty

In reading Genesis chapter 37 verses 12 to 36, i am struck at the appalling savage cruelty. Joseph's brothers plotting to kill him for being a pain. 

Surely it is rare for anyone to wish truly to murder their own brother, no matter how annoying. I have brothers and we have always got on each others nerves, in fact very seriously as adults - we do not hardly speak now. Our outlooks on life are so different, we disagree a lot and things are often very bad between us. Many harsh words. 

But - to even think of murder? To inflict such pain and mourning on our parents! The bond of blood reigns strong. In fact if anything or anyone outside the family threatens, then that bond takes over. 

What savagery exists in the Old Testament stories. That Joseph's brothers could cause such pain to their old father. 

I bet killing of brother or sister is a rare crime? 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

We see a kind of horrible crimes between families in our world today. It happened in the times of the OT as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

Don't put what you can't afford to lose on that bet.

Several come to my mind immediately,  that I arranged the funerals for during my near twenty years in the funeral business. Always nasty stuff to contend with. Gee thanks for that. I was already having trouble sleeping.

And in addition the absolute hatred that manifests itself within siblings at a funeral can be an amazing and dangerous  happening. As one example I remember two brothers dueling it out  in the long parking lot driveway in their  Lincolns, it was demolition derby.

Plus the oh too common event of mass murder suicide within a family where everyone is taken out. Nothing is beyond the capacity of humans when it comes to hate and cruelty. The old line from Tommy Smothers to his brother, "Mother always loved you best" was only funny  because it hit upon a truth  that so many live. 

Anyway don't bet that one.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

What savagery exists in the Old Testament stories. That Joseph's brothers could cause such pain to their old father.

Yes, it's a stomach churning event isn't it, as young innocent Joseph comes by to find his brothers unaware.

He is one of the early prophecies of the Messiah's life as in the same way, the Messiah's "brothers" plotted against Him for His blood.  And, in the same way, they will be utterly shocked when they recognise Him as their King later.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

As the  bible says there stories  are given for exanples  to us.

Joseph's story shows us what can happen if.

1) Parents blatantly favour  one or some children over others. (As Jacob did with joseph) . It can stir hatred between siblings.

2)When we don't deal with negative emotions. Joseph's brothers didn't deal with their envy and it turned to a murderous hatred. That could happen to any of us.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

27 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

1) Parents blatantly favour  one or some children over others. (As Jacob did with joseph) . It can stir hatred between siblings.

2)When we don't deal with negative emotions. Joseph's brothers didn't deal with their envy and it turned to a murderous hatred. That could happen to any of us.

You guys never met my brother.......lol....He can really be a jerk.....a BIG jerk....I wish him no ill-will.....I just wish he would move to Antarctica ....lol

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

32 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

Vert true indeed.. When a parent plays favorites they can set up a very nasty rivalry between siblings.. When kids believe their parent loves a sibling more then them it sets up a deadly competition with siblings trying to tear each other down in a desperate attempt to rise up the pecking order of their parents love.. Once this toxic state of affairs is set in motion it has a life of it's own that only grows in animosity and hate as the years go by.. 

If you are a parent or soon to become one never allow this state of affairs to develop..

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

In reading Genesis chapter 37 verses 12 to 36, i am struck at the appalling savage cruelty. Joseph's brothers plotting to kill him for being a pain. 

Surely it is rare for anyone to wish truly to murder their own brother, no matter how annoying. I have brothers and we have always got on each others nerves, in fact very seriously as adults - we do not hardly speak now. Our outlooks on life are so different, we disagree a lot and things are often very bad between us. Many harsh words. 

But - to even think of murder? To inflict such pain and mourning on our parents! The bond of blood reigns strong. In fact if anything or anyone outside the family threatens, then that bond takes over. 

i think in Joseph's case, there was jealousy involved. He was their father's favourite, and Joseph was foolish enough to tell his brothers that he had a dream that one day they will all bow down to him.

i suspect the jealousy had been brewing for a long long time, until it finally boiled over.

never underestimate the potential destruction power of jealousy, especially long term jealousy.

so it is not just Joseph was annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

Jealousy has been responsible for a lot of murders, including the first murder, which was also ones own brother.  

10 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Don't put what you can't afford to lose on that bet.

Several come to my mind immediately,  that I arranged the funerals for during my near twenty years in the funeral business. Always nasty stuff to contend with. Gee thanks for that. I was already having trouble sleeping.

And in addition the absolute hatred that manifests itself within siblings at a funeral can be an amazing and dangerous  happening. As one example I remember two brothers dueling it out  in the long parking lot driveway in their  Lincolns, it was demolition derby.

Plus the oh too common event of mass murder suicide within a family where everyone is taken out. Nothing is beyond the capacity of humans when it comes to hate and cruelty. The old line from Tommy Smothers to his brother, "Mother always loved you best" was only funny  because it hit upon a truth  that so many live. 

Anyway don't bet that one.

Wow! I just thought surely it has to be rare. Sibling rivalry sure is very prevalent, certainly in my family. But actually physically harming is so awful to contemplate.  

I have a fault in me, i gi around assuming people are decent and most are good. I am idealistic and naive. I don't want to be cynical.