• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

I guess I am old fashioned. I do not think being a gentlemen is going to go out of style. Although in our world today it would be very rare for a man to give up his seat for a woman. 

See, I don't think so, MM.

I haven't ride buses or trolleys since my Texas A & M days, but I have men hold the door open for me EVERYWHERE I go.  I always make eye contact and say thank-you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

3 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I've seen this phase often on Facebook.

And I can't help but wonder.  What exactly IS it that men can't do that women have to do for them other than have babies?  I can't think of a thing that a woman has the ability to do that men can't do just as well.  Excluding child-bearing.

So what exactly does all of that mean?

Child bearing is one thing..... raising kids is another.   Men can't develop the relationships with their children that a mother can.  And it's not just the time they spend with them, it's a bond and thought process that my mother had that  is very rare today....      Human insights that no men that I know can develop.

But you won't see these things in very few women today....

How do I know this...…    40 years dealing with people in offices while working on their office equipment....   listening and watching making friends.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25

4 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Nothing wrong with being a GI Jane.  God knows I am not a cute little pink dress kind of women.   I am more of a get down in the dirt with my muck boots and grease on my hands from fixing the ridding mower  kind of women.  :)   

Really, my point wasn't to say what is right or wrong, though if a man is effeminate, the Bible calls that sin, so I am not so sure I agree.  I was just giving reasons why men are like that.  I would bet that if a woman was in a dress and real feminine, she would have a seat.  I think most people will give their seat to an elderly or handicapped person regardless.  

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

This has nothing to do with the photo. But your post reminds me of the time I was at the store and  I'm short.  I was trying to reach the top shelve. I'm jumping up and down trying to get the cookies off the top that I can't reach while two tall men stood there and did nothing to help me.  It made me kind of mad. 

I am always helping ladies by getting things off the top shelf at Walmart for them.  Many times they ask, but if I saw someone struggling like you were, I would just offer.  Did you ask for help?

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I guess I am old fashioned. I do not think being a gentlemen is going to go out of style. Although in our world today it would be very rare for a man to give up his seat for a woman. 

Again, I think that is because of changes as a result of feminism.  If the woman is a fellow construction worker or something like that, men see her like one of the guys.  She has become one of them.  I would again say that if the woman was very feminine, wearing a dress or skirt, I doubt she would be standing long.  It changes the way men view that woman.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Jayne said:

See, I don't think so, MM.

I haven't ride buses or trolleys since my Texas A & M days, but I have men hold the door open for me EVERYWHERE I go.  I always make eye contact and say thank-you.

I have had men hold doors open for me and I have had some not open doors for me..  I always say "thank you" when they do.I do not hear those words enough today.  I have also opened doors for men.  

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

This has nothing to do with the photo. But your post reminds me of the time I was at the store and  I'm short.  I was trying to reach the top shelve. I'm jumping up and down trying to get the cookies off the top that I can't reach while two tall men stood there and did nothing to help me.  It made me kind of mad. 

I was walking up to a 7-11 store once and I missed the curve. I tripped and fell. Two men in their truck just sat there and laughed. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

51 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

Did you ask for help?

The men were too busy talking each other and I didn't want to interrupt their chatting.  I'm....not... really someone that ask for help.  I jumped up and down and looked at them, then went back to jumping up and down until I got the cookies. :24:

44 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

The men were too busy talking each other and I didn't want to interrupt their chatting.  I'm....not... really someone that ask for help.  I jumped up and down and looked at them, then went back to jumping up and down until I got the cookies. :24:

At least you were eventually able to get them.  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  893
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Equippers said:

i comes from an Asian culture where we do believe it is warranted to give up one's seat in certain situations, 

I think this is a good point.

Whether or not men are expected to always give up their seats for any woman.. etc.. this is a cultural /society expectation....  And different cultures/societies can have different society 'rules' /expectations....

Or in other words this issue is a cultural /society based issue I think (to me).

- Also as has been pointed out by several posters in this thread.. we dont know the circumstances surrounding the situation in the photo.  As mentioned.. perhaps the woman wanted to stand.. or perhaps she had given up her seat to them.  We don't know.

So why judge?

• Well Said! 1