Coliseum

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

When I attended the famous Passion Play in Oberammergau, I was told that an American man and his wife were once in attendance at the play. Between acts, the wife said to her husband, “Now you pick up that cross, and I will take a picture of you carrying the cross.” He thought it was a good idea; so he walked over to pick up the cross. He could not even lift it. About that time Anthony Lang, the great man who for thirty years played the part of Christ in the play, came by. The American asked him, “Why so heavy? This is just a play. This is just an act. Why is the cross so heavy?” Anthony Lang humbly and simply answered, “Sir, when I carry it, if I do not feel it, I cannot play my part.”

It is thus with our devotion to Christ. If it does not cost us anything, if we do not feel it, it becomes meaningless. And that is exactly the measure of our devotion before God. If it costs us nothing, then it turns to dust and ashes in our hands.

….Pastor Criswell

2 Samuel 24:24 (NIV)
24  But the king replied to Araunah, "No, I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing." So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen and paid fifty shekels of silver for them.