Yeshua153

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

I'm probably stepping on a prickly subject, but how do folks feel about these, as well as other popular things like selfies & body image, through surgery, or building muscle to 'look good'?

If you go along with any, how do you then do what Yeshua says in Lk9v23 ?

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me."

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

9 minutes ago, Yeshua153 said:

I'm probably stepping on a prickly subject, but how do folks feel about these, as well as other popular things like selfies & body image, through surgery, or building muscle to 'look good'?

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me."

You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Lev 19:28 RSV

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, johnthebaptist said:

You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Lev 19:28 RSV

The obvious verse, yes, but I suspect some will think or say, 'well that's the old law, times have changed, etc', maybe!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

1 hour ago, Yeshua153 said:

First of all, that verse is not talking about physical denial. It is not about denying health, staying in shape, etc. It is about desires of the flesh.

The commandment is Leviticus is part of The Law. We are no longer under the condemnation of the law and free from it. Does not mean the law itself is null and void. The law was provided as a way to show God's heart. God's desire is for the creation to not tarnish the uniqueness and the unique impression He has given. I don't believe it is best for believers to try and change their body through surgeries. I underlines the word best because it not something to be evaluated as right or wrong. But rather is it the best choice.

I don't see any harm in taking selfies, trying to look good, staying healthy, building muscles, etc. As long as these do not become idols in our lives - they take the place of God. They distract us from God. If you would rather go to gym than go to Church or Bible study, then it's time to stop and think. Again, the activity itself is good. But not the best because there are better things to do.

The last thing to consider in all these would be, is God's name glorified. When we build muscles or try to look good, are we glorifying ourselves or giving God the glory for what He has given us? I don't know how we can glorify God through tattoos! If there is a way, then may be!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

“You shall not trim the sides of your hair, nor trim your beards”

When it comes to the Law , you can’t just pick and choose.....it’s ALL or nothing...

If you are Alive to Christ, you are dead to the Law.....Paul said it was “ weak” and  “beggarly”...... it had NO POWER to save.....the Law was given to “ shut your mouth” about it, admit you can’t keep it and put your Faith in The One who DID keep it- Jesus Christ! His Gospel Of 1Cor15:1-4 is where the POWER is if you want to be saved.Believe it....Don’t Add to it .....and prove you believe it by RESTING in it. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 minutes ago, Yeshua153 said:

The obvious verse, yes, but I suspect some will think or say, 'well that's the old law, times have changed, etc', maybe!

I would agree with those who say God was talking to the Jews in the Old Testament, and not everything he said to them applies to Christians.  So how do you know which things apply to Christians and which don't?

First, if God said something is an abomination (such as homosexuality), then it's an abomination no matter who he was talking to.

As for tattoos and piercings (I'm not aware he called them abominations), one might have to use their own judgment. If God didn't want Jews to have tattoos and marking on their bodies, why would he want Christians to have them?

Tattoos are a cultural thing, that has multiplied, through media, music etc, especially among the young. I have always disliked tattoos, they mostly look like dirt, & I dislike even more on women. All these things are like a pride thing, which is a form of sin, if you spend enough time, money & effort to look 'good', but for me denying self daily, & crucifying this flesh, so I can live more by the Spirit, is key for me.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

9 minutes ago, Yeshua153 said:

Tattoos are a cultural thing, that has multiplied, through media, music etc, especially among the young. I have always disliked tattoos, they mostly look like dirt, & I dislike even more on women. All these things are like a pride thing, which is a form of sin, if you spend enough time, money & effort to look 'good', but for me denying self daily, & crucifying this flesh, so I can live more by the Spirit, is key for me.

I think it’s probably not good to call something a “sin” if it’s not in the Bible. I think Christ’s concern was that we love one another. If a person decides to get a tattoo or piercing, I don’t see how that does harm to another. I don’t like tattoos or piercings either, but if it makes a person happy, then I’m all for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

There are many, many past threads on this topic. It definately is not a new one. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,790
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It sure is a slap in the face for God … as He gave us this wonderful dwelling place of flesh and we by these acts indicate the need of difference or more....