IGNORED

So what is the exact definition of righteousness?

JacquelineDeane55

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

I am wondering what that word actually means, righteousness could have a broad definition.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

I am wondering what that word actually means, righteousness could have a broad definition.

Righteousness, is that which is right......but a deeper understanding is;

“Righteousness is that which is free from all disorder.”

Be blessed in your wondering, Not me 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Ok I see. At first I thought that is what that meant, but now I know for sure, that righteousness is what God says is right, not what anyone else says is right. Thank you for that definition. I will try to remember it.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

57 minutes ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

Though in a different context, I think the Lord answered the question here: 

You know the commandments: `Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.' Luke 18:20 RSV

1 hour ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

Ok I see. At first I thought that is what that meant, but now I know for sure, that righteousness is what God says is right, not what anyone else says is right. Thank you for that definition. I will try to remember it.

Just to add another thought;

Righteousness is not what God says is right, because He says it is. Righteousness is what is right, that is why God says it is, because it is right... 

Which brings in the question; Would righteousness still be right if God didn’t exist?

The answer is yes, just like one and one would still be two, if God didn’t exist, for the exact same reason, because one and one is two, for that is the truth. And just the same with righteousness, for righteousness is what is right.... For that is the truth..

There would just be no manifestation of it, or anything, if God didn’t exist. For that is what God’s creating power is and does, brings truth to manifestation....

And this, if I may go out on a limb, is what and why God loves righteousness, because only in righteousness can truth be manifested. And if I may go out even further, this is what God wants to manifest in His children, His Divine power of bringing truth to manifestation for all eternity.... This is what awaits His beloved, an eternity of bringing truth to manifestation...The glory, the honor, the best possible existence for any child of God, the ability to bring truth to manifestation.... The expression of the Godhead manifested for all eternity. For we were created to be in His image and likeness, a mirror that He might see and manifest Himself through. 

Just my ramblings, be blessed in Him, Not me 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

I understand righteousness to be "right standing with God".  That's the short version anyway :)   some rambles/meditations on the topic are worthwhile too...the implications are massive...and encouraging

Edited by Jostler

1 minute ago, Jostler said:

I understand righteousness to be "right standing with God".  That's the short version anyway :)

Many people do, for that is taught in many books and from many pulpits .... but right standing with God is the fruit of righteousness.

Right standing and being pleasing to God is one of the benefits and fruit of doing what is righteousness. 

But as your heart teaches you that is your course. 

Be blessed on and in your course, Not me 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

However one defines it—- you gotta have it to go to Heaven! The bad news is you can’t attain it .The Good News is Jesus attained it “ FOR” you.Believe the Gospel Of Grace , believe that He died for  your sins and rose from the grave and God will “ IMPUTE” you with the Righteousness Of His Son.....Prove you believe it by RESTING in it and God will declare you “ fit for Heaven”.......

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

12 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

However one defines it—- you gotta have it to go to Heaven! The bad news is you can’t attain it .The Good News is Jesus attained it “ FOR” you.Believe the Gospel Of Grace , believe that He died for  your sins and rose from the grave and God will “ IMPUTE” you with the Righteousness Of His Son.....Prove you believe it by RESTING in it and God will declare you “ fit for Heaven”.......

What you stated is very true Blood Bought.... But once we have been declared and made righteous in His sight, righteousness is what we are called to walk in....Thereby maintaining the peace and joy of our salvation....as a ongoing manifestation of the Divine nature birthed in us. For righteousness, and the law being fulfilled in us, but not by us, is what we have been called to...For as I’m sure you know “the just shall live by faith.”

Oh that this faith and knowledge of what our salvation in Christ consists of, would, day by day be enlarged in our hearts, Not me 

Edited by Not me
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

8 minutes ago, PromisesPromises! said:

Yes, and what a blessing!   We are declared righteous before our Father for simply believing and placing our faith and trust in Jsesus.  Because of His sacrifice, we are declared to be perfectly holy, spotless, and blameless--just as though we had never sinned.  We are declared righteous because we abide in Him who is righteous--perfectly holy, just, and right.  

Proverbs 12:28 New King James Version (NKJV)

28 In the way of righteousness is life,
And in its pathway there is no death.

That's my best understanding too.   I perceive righteousness more as a "state of being" than a set of "works".   Out OF that state of being works consistent WITH the state of being righteous will naturally flow.  The two certainly go hand in hand....but He gave to us, in Him, what only He could attain....a state of being "right" with God, and the power of the indwelling Spirit to walk in ways consistent with that.   Thank God He is generous and likes sharing :)

Edited by Jostler