IGNORED

So what is the exact definition of righteousness?

JacquelineDeane55

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

I am wondering what that word actually means, righteousness could have a broad definition.

Doing the right thing is righteousness.
Doing the wrong thing is unrighteousness.
Like Not me said, right standing with God is the result of 'doing the right thing'
Doing the wrong thing quenches -grieves God. We lose fellowship. But not His promise.
God is perfect, He wrote the program. The right thing, truth, light, perfection, God.
He has a standard, a will for us, His mark/target we should strive to hit.
We miss His target we sin. Unrighteousness.
We hit the mark, the right thing, that's righteousness.

"If you love me, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
God's righteousness is perfect, the perfect righteousness required to satisfy the final sacrifice. His son.
That paid, IN FULL, the debt for all our unrighteousness (all the wrong things)
It redeemed all mankind that believe. God requires perfection. His son. Not any dirty rag man perfection.

"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."

Yes! that's what it says.
We have our own righteousness before God. (hitting those targets/marks, great fellowship)
However.
We also have our own unrighteousness.(missing the marks/targets, loss of fellowship)
It's been my experience, the more I purpose to do the right thing, the much more I see to do.
The more I have to lose self will, and let God. Not I but Christ. This is difficult for me.
To whom much is given, much is required. Take my yoke!  (There is no end, don't look back)
My understanding.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.  Matt 11, 28-30

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Righteouness

Justice, justness or divine holiness. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Righteousness is: 

Being Right With God..

Sadly many people define it as being a really good person who never does anything wrong..  As we know those people do not exist..  Only God is good..

• Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46

6 hours ago, Sower said:

It's been my experience, the more I purpose to do the right thing, the much more I see to do.
The more I have to lose self will, and let God. Not I but Christ.

^This is very scriptural, ^

John 7:17 (NASB)
“If anyone is willing to do His will, he will know of the teaching, whether it is of God or whether I speak from Myself.

“It has been my experience the more I purpose to do the right thing, the much more do I see to do”

Same truth just put forth in different words. 

Be blessed as the willingness to do His will grows and grows in all those that are His, Not me 

Edited by Not me

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

14 hours ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

I am wondering what that word actually means, righteousness could have a broad definition.

It sure can, looking at all the scriptures concerning it can be numbing. So when I found that I am the righteousness of God in Christ, that was enough for me. Well enough already...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.66
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

45 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

It sure can, looking at all the scriptures concerning it can be numbing. So when I found that I am the righteousness of God in Christ, that was enough for me. Well enough already...

And there it is right there! For sons of God, we need look no further. It's just that simple. For we who are In Christ the only place for us to look for righteousness is our Lord. Any manifestation of 'righteousness' that occurs through us, has its origin in Christ and is in fact 'Christ'.  Never a separate thing apart from Him. If it is a separate thing than it is 'our righteousness'--which we know are as filthy rags.

Right? So as we walk in manner that pleases Him and we do good things, we give glory to God for the source that infuses us with His Life and the righteousness that flows from Him. So we have moved on from 'things' to Life.  The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the 'other' way. The Law of sin and death that gets its power from law keeping.

Rom. 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

14 hours ago, Not me said:

Would righteousness still be right if God didn’t exist?

Can't be for there would be no existence.  

16 hours ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

Hi,

May I suggest that in the Biblical sense of the word righteous has very specific meaning, and it is used in context with two other words, justification and sanctification. in addition the words regeneration and glorification might be looked at for a fuller practical use of the word righteous or righteousness.

There are many excellent writings on the subject; some from from John Piper ( Desiring God), from the  Charles Spurgeon Archives, and also John MacArthur, ( Grace Church Sun Valley Ca., plus  Shepherds Seminary) . There is a book written about John's presentations that is really a compilation  of services put together by Phil Johnson (Pyromaniacs) to help define righteousness and sanctification and justification.

• Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46

21 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Can't be for there would be no existence.  

Is that not what I said in my post;

“that there would be no manifestation of anything if God didn’t exist”

But than the question still remains;  

Would one and one still be two if God didn’t exist?

Not, would there be any manifestation of one and one being two. But would the truth that one and one is two still be true. 

A closer reading of the entire post might bring this forward. 

But to each His own walk before Him who’s workmanship we are.

With all respect, Not me 

Might look at  https://www.spurgeongems.org/sermon/chs395.pdf

which begins:

Sermon #395

Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit 1

JEHOVAH TSIDKENU
THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS 
NO. 395

A SERMON
DELIVERED ON SUNDAY MORNING, JUNE 2, 1861, 
BY REV. C. H. SPURGEON,
AT THE METROPOLITAN TABERNACLE, NEWINGTON.

“This is His name whereby He shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.” Jeremiah 23:6.

MAN by the fall sustained an infinite loss in the matter of righteousness. He suffered the loss of a righteous nature, and then a two-fold loss of legal righteousness in the sight of God. Man sinned; he was therefore no longer innocent of transgression. Man did not keep the command; he therefore was guilty of the sin of omission. In that which he committed, and in that which he omitted, his original character for uprightness was completely wrecked! Jesus Christ came to undo the mischief of the fall for His people. So far as their sin concerned their breach of the command, that He has removed by His precious blood. His agony and bloody sweat have forever taken away the consequences of sin from believers, seeing Christ did by His one sacrifice bear the penalty of that sin in His flesh. He, His own self, bore our sins in His own body on the cross. Still, it is not enough for a man to be pardoned. He, of course, is then in the eyes of God, without sin, but it was required of man that he should actually keep the command. It was not enough that he did not break it or that he is regarded through the blood as though he did not break it. He must keep it, he must continue in all things that are written in the book of the law, to do them! How is this necessity supplied? Man must have righteousness, or God cannot accept him. Man must have a perfect obedience, or else God cannot reward him. Should He give heaven to a soul that has not perfect- ly kept the law? That were to give the reward where the service is not done, and that before God would be an act which might impeach His justice. Where, then, is the righteousness with which the pardoned man shall be completely covered, so that God can regard him as having kept the law, and reward him for so doing?

Surely, my brothers and sisters, none of you are so drunk as to think that this righteousness can be worked out by yourselves! You must despair of ever being able to keep the law perfectly. Each day you sin. Since you have passed from death unto life, the old Adam still struggles for dominion within you. And by the force of the lusts of the flesh, you are brought into captivity to the law of sin which is in your members! The good you would do, you do not—and the evil you would not, that you too often do! Some have thought the works of the Holy Spirit in us would give us a righteousness in which we might stand. I am sure, my brothers and sisters we would not say a word derogatory to the work of the Holy Spirit. It is divine! But we hold it to be a great cardinal point in divinity that the work of the Spirit never meant to supplant the merits of the Son. We could not depreciate the Lord Jesus Christ in order to exalt the office of the Holy Spirit of God! We know that each particular branch of the divine salvation which was es- poused by the persons of the Trinity has been carried out by each One to perfection. Now, as we are ac- cepted in the Beloved, it must be by a something that the Beloved did! As we are justified in Christ, it must be by a something not that the Spirit has done, but which Christ has done. We must believe, then— for there is no other alternative—that the righteousness in which we must be clothed, and through which we must be accepted, and by which we are made meet to inherit eternal life, can be no other than the work of Jesus Christ! We, therefore, assert.... Look at the sermon link for the full presentation by Rev Spurgeon "the prince of pastors".

https://www.spurgeongems.org/sermon/chs395.pdf