Praying in tongues/"in the spirit"

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

What are the possible things that could go wrong when praying in tongues? Can it make you a persons "rag doll" or "guinea pig" so to speak? Can it make you "become another person"or become alot like them? What are the spiritual effects and ramifications of it? What does it do to your very being and spirit and mind? What does it really do/can do? Can it make you "family"?

Edited by RarexxRose

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

“If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?
“Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!

When we receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit, and begin to pray in tongues, He does not "take over".   That's what satan and his minions try to do.  Praying in tongues is yielding our speech to Him, allowing Him to pray Father's perfect will for us, through us.  It's a way to pray, praise, and engage in prayer when we don't know exactly what we should pray for...or how.  It allows the Holy Spirit to intercede for us, when we're unsure exactly how to pray.  He doesn't turn us into a rag doll or cause us to become something/someone different.   It doesn't make us family :)  He already did that, but it might make us more aware of, and more confident in our feeling like we truly are in His family :)

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?

But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

There is more to it as well....but that's enough to shout hallelujah about all by itself :)

Edited by Jostler
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,360
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

Just my 2 bits, when we pray in tongues, the enemy has no idea what we're saying, frustrates him no end. It's our "heavenly language" just between us and Him, God bless.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

5 hours ago, RarexxRose said:

What are the possible things that could go wrong when praying in tongues? Can it make you a persons "rag doll" or "guinea pig" so to speak? Can it make you "become another person"or become alot like them? What are the spiritual effects and ramifications of it? What does it do to your very being and spirit and mind? What does it really do/can do? Can it make you "family"?

I do not believe that tongues is meant for today. I am a cessationalist. Once the full New Testament Church had possession the gift of tongues faded. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

6 hours ago, RarexxRose said:

The worst thing that can happen is that through insensitivity you might upset someone who is a cessationist.

Seriously... speaking in tongues isn't a form of hypnosis and doesn't make you 'lose control' - you can stop at any time. I sometimes pray in tongues while driving... it's no more distracting than listening to the radio.

It does have spiritual benefits. When I first received the gift it gave a tremendous boost to my prayer life in general. The exact effects vary from person to person, but I would say it's probably more on your relationship with God than your relationship with other people.

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,870
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My praying in tongues is almost always intercessory prayer and much of the time urgent...   sometimes it's controllable and sometimes it is not.   The first time it happened to me my family was in great danger and my wife was about to do something really dumb that would have put her in greater danger.   It has never happened to me where it put me or anyone else in danger.   I have no idea why it needs to happen since God is long term in control of everything, but it does occasionally happen.    

The only thing that might be in any negative way is that it hinders me praying in church for sometimes it doesn't come out in English and our church is not a tongue speaking organization.   The pauses in my praying is very awkward.

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,787
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Tongues wouldn't be an issue if it were done in obedience to God's Word....

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.66
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

In my experience tongues is one of the evidences of the indwelling Spirit and a great blessing and benefit to the individual.

I assure you that tongues is totally under the control of the individual and not being in some kind of takeover trance like state that some folks talk about. It is an out flowing work of the Spirit within and as has been mentioned with scripture reference, edifying and praying and praising. When their are those who prophecy in a gathering, its not required in that corporate context, although sometimes less mature ones can be exuberant. It happens.

Personally, I speak in tongues when alone and usually when either praising Him or when in what I call inspired prayer.

To me—prayer is essentially agreeing with God. THere ar times when this is more profound and obvious.

Sometimes—in those moments—that unction is present and it just flows. In control, but it is obvious that it is a moving of the Spirit. You are both a participant and a spectator. It really is a very remarkable experience and one feels quite full to overflowing. Not an easy thing to articulate. But very real.

So this doesn't get out of control. See this scripture below. Paul is speaking for the context of an assembly.

1Cor. 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

1Cor. 12:30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

Tongues in this context are for lack of a better way to explain--part of the gift of prophecy to the Church.

Paul also said that he spoke in tongues, more than ye all.

1Cor. 14:18   I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

I suggest that Paul very rarely if at all spoke in tongues in the assembly and yet he said that he does "more than you all". So I suggest that this was the experience that I related earlier. A more personal experience. I don't know this for sure, but I think I understand Paul and I do know my own experience and that of others.

Jesus himself mentions this:

Mark 16:17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;

But again remember, not everyone manifests the same gift(s).

Seek the Lord to prophecy and to be a teacher. Realize that to prophecy is not necessarily to foretell, but also to forth tell. To speak a 'word' from the Lord under an unction of the Spirit for edification, instruction and encouragement.

As always--Love trumps it all. 

• Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1