Brother Notlad

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

As Christians, living a holy (Hebrews 12:14) and separated life (2 Corinthians 6:17) is commanded by Christ and the Word. 

In saying that, holiness is one of the most debated things among Christians today. What the Word deems as holy and gives us scriptural references for, many today render legalistic or bondage. 

Holiness is needed in this hour we live in. 

I believe that holiness starts inward for a new Christian, and once said individual is obedient to convictions and the Bible, that inner holiness will have no choice but to reflect in outward chances. These outer changes will bring a Christian closer to Biblical modesty and holiness, coupled with personal convictions that won't deviate from the Word of God. 

It's not legalism. It's holiness. 

What say you?  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

21 minutes ago, Brother Notlad said:

As Christians, living a holy (Hebrews 12:14) and separated life (2 Corinthians 6:17) is commanded by Christ and the Word. 

In saying that, holiness is one of the most debated things among Christians today. What the Word deems as holy and gives us scriptural references for, many today render legalistic or bondage. 

Holiness is needed in this hour we live in. 

I believe that holiness starts inward for a new Christian, and once said individual is obedient to convictions and the Bible, that inner holiness will have no choice but to reflect in outward chances. These outer changes will bring a Christian closer to Biblical modesty and holiness, coupled with personal convictions that won't deviate from the Word of God. 

It's not legalism. It's holiness. 

What say you?  

I say holiness begins with keeping sinful thoughts out of our head.

26 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I say holiness begins with keeping sinful thoughts out of our head.

I would agree, somewhat. I believe holiness starts with issues of one's heart. What's in the heart will come out, either physically, emotionally, verbally, or in our dress. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 hours ago, Brother Notlad said:

I would agree, somewhat. I believe holiness starts with issues of one's heart. What's in the heart will come out, either physically, emotionally, verbally, or in our dress. 

Yes, I would think so.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

As believers we need to be living a life by God's standards, not the world's. Holiness results from having the right relationship with God. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

As believers we need to be living a life by God's standards, not the world's. Holiness results from having the right relationship with God. 

You're so very right. We are to live by God's holy standard. Once we're obedient to the Scriptures, we'll align with what they say. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Some of the things people used to gauge holiness back in the 50s were called the "don'ts".  Don't smoke, don't chew tobacco, don't drink alcohol, don't play cards, don't go to movies (but TV is OK), don't dance, don't wear sleeveless clothes etc.  I agree with you.  It is a matter of a changed heart.  Usually God can see these changes even though they are not the action people look for.   Even becoming saddened by things happening in the world can reveal hearts:   like the hatefulness and intolerance being taught in colleges and universities toward Christians and Jews, or toward conservatives, or toward obesity, or the hatred practiced by political activists, all these things are separating us from the world.  We are further separated if we respond to them in a godly manner with compassion.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/18/2020 at 12:48 AM, Willa said:

Some of the things people used to gauge holiness back in the 50s were called the "don'ts".  Don't smoke, don't chew tobacco, don't drink alcohol, don't play cards, don't go to movies (but TV is OK), don't dance, don't wear sleeveless clothes etc.  I agree with you.  It is a matter of a changed heart.  Usually God can see these changes even though they are not the action people look for.   Even becoming saddened by things happening in the world can reveal hearts:   like the hatefulness and intolerance being taught in colleges and universities toward Christians and Jews, or toward conservatives, or toward obesity, or the hatred practiced by political activists, all these things are separating us from the world.  We are further separated if we respond to them in a godly manner with compassion.  

If those changes genuinely take place inwardly, however, it can't help but to show up on the exterior as well. Biblical principles will come into practice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Usually Christians quote the scripture where it's said that Christ looks at the heart, while man looks at the outer appearance (1 Samuel 16:7). They generally use it to justify worldly attire, amusements, and other fleshly activities, but that isn't what this verse points toward. 

The verse tells us that "the Lord seeth not as man seeth" because "man looketh on the outward appearance," while "the Lord looketh on the heart." 

That sounds as if we are to solely concern ourselves with God's opinions. In part, that's true. At the end of the day, the opinion God has of us will be the deciding factor on our salvation, but while we're still here in the flesh, we are called to be witnesses and a set-aside, holy people shining the Lord's light. 

How can we do that dressed and behaving as the world? We can't. 

Notice the verse says that men look at the outward appearance. Because that's said, we know that there is a outer appearance for a Christian man and woman, that signifies to people that said individual is saved. Yes, Christ looking at the heart sees the secrets and intentions of a man. If the outside is right, but the inside is wrong, guess what? It's all for nothing. It's in vain. 

There are multiple scriptures throughout the Word that deals with an Christian's outward attire. If it were not important, why is it there?