IGNORED

My newphew's dream about my deceased brother

Guest K9Buck

My older brother, Jim, passed away a few years ago from cirrhosis.  He was a hardcore alcoholic.  We have a nephew named "Matt".  Jim and Matt were never close to one another, in fact, they didn't like one another.  They were cordial to one another but, behind one another's backs, they were critical.  The truth is, both of their criticisms were valid, but that's beside the point.  LOL.  The point is, they were not close.  

Jim expressed a strong faith in Jesus, even if he didn't exactly live a saintly life.  Matt, while claiming to believe in God, is not at all religious, spiritual, etc.  He never talk about God or how we came into existence or if there is Heaven, etc.  The only time he's ever spoken of it is when I brought it up.  

A year or so after Jim died, Matt drove my mother (his grandmother, obviously) to visit Jim's grave at a military cemetery an hour from where we live.  It was a short and unremarkable visit.

That night, Matt had a dream.  Matt dreamt that he walked into an office at Lowe's (where Jim used to work after retiring from the Navy) carrying a bunch of security tapes.  The office phone rang, Matt answered and said "Hey Jim, I have the security tapes.  What do you want me to do with them?"  At that, Jim said "I know you and Mom came to see me today.  I know that you couldn't see me, but I could see you.  I had a lot of problems but I'm doing much better now".  

At that, the dream apparently ended or segued into something non-related.  

I about fell out of my chair when Matt shared that story with me.  I will add that, Matt has NEVER been one to lie, embellish or brag, never.  I believe that Matt did indeed have that dream.

My question for this forum is, do you believe it's possible that my brother did actually communicate to Matt?  Or might it just have been a coincidental, weird dream?  I should add, Matt has never had a dream anywhere like that before or since and I know because I asked.  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

Whatever was going on there, I'm sure that was a profound experience.  I am curious, what effect did it have on Matt?  How does he perceive the dream?

1 hour ago, Jostler said:

Whatever was going on there, I'm sure that was a profound experience.  I am curious, what effect did it have on Matt?  How does he perceive the dream?

Matt was taken aback by the dream.  He told me and then he went and told my mother.  Thereafter he just went on with his life.  Like I said, he's not at all religious in any way, not before the dream and certainly not since.  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

i really don't know exactly what to think of a dream like that.  We're clearly told not to seek communication with the dead...necromancy is certainly forbidden.  But it doesn't sound like Matt was doing that.... Peter, James and John saw and heard Moses and Elijah with Jesus on the mount of transfiguration.   They certainly were not seeking the dead either, but God allowed for them to have that experience....for His purposes.

I can't discern any good fruit that came of it, but we might not.  Maybe it was a seed planted ...perhaps it will allow Matt to forgive his dad at some point....seeds take time to grow.  Interesting experience....not sure I have the insight required to do much more than observe....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/20/2020 at 5:22 AM, K9Buck said:

My question for this forum is, do you believe it's possible that my brother did actually communicate to Matt?  Or might it just have been a coincidental, weird dream?  I should add, Matt has never had a dream anywhere like that before or since and I know because I asked.  

If my understanding of the bible is correct, the dead are "asleep" and can't communicate with the living.
So whatever the dream was, it did not came from Jim.
The question is then, was it just a dream or was it truly a message? From where? Here all christians should be carefull not to belief things that are unbiblical.

Years ago, when a friend of mine died, she was 23, died of liver cancer.
I was quite shocked how fast she went. Before she died, I asked another female friend to share the gospel to her.
After she died, I prayed to God, hope she was saved. Later I got a dream, her telling me she was alright. (just a few seconds)
It couldn't be her because she was "asleep" according to the bible. Even now, I am not sure what that dream was.
For me, one thing was clear, focus on the living and share the gospel whenever I can.

Edited by Wesley L

2 minutes ago, Wesley L said:

If my understanding of the bible is correct, the dead are "asleep" and can't communicate with the living.
So whatever the dream was, it did not came from Jim.
The question is then, was it just a dream or was it truly a message? From where? Here all christians should be carefull not to belief things that are unbiblical.

Years ago, when a friend of mine died, she was 23, died of liver cancer.
I was quite shocked how fast she went. Before she died, I asked another female friend to share the gospel to her.
After she died, I prayed to God, hope she was saved. Later I got a dream, her telling me she was alright. (just a few seconds)
It couldn't be her because she was "asleep" according to the bible. Until now, I am not sure what that dream was.
For me, one thing was clear, focus on the living and share the gospel whenever I can.

Thank you.  

I believe the bible is contradictory.  For instance, what about the verse that says to be absent from the body is to be with God?  I understand that to mean that, once we die, we're with God.  Perhaps I misunderstand.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

1 minute ago, K9Buck said:

Thank you.  

I believe the bible is contradictory.  For instance, what about the verse that says to be absent from the body is to be with God?  I understand that to mean that, once we die, we're with God.  Perhaps I misunderstand.

Please say: "Our understanding of the bible is sometimes contradictory" :)
God's words don't contradict. If it does than we all christians got a big problem.

Something for you to think about:
- How long did you had to wait before you were born on earth?
- How long do dead people have to wait before they get to see Jesus on judgement day?
For the dead, they don't experience time anymore. So when you die, the next moment is your resurrection and meeting God.

This is how I see it, maybe other christians see it differently.

1 hour ago, Wesley L said:

- How long did you had to wait before you were born on earth?

Like forever but I will say that God isn't as slow as my doctor's office.  

;)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

On 1/19/2020 at 11:22 PM, K9Buck said:

My older brother, Jim, passed away a few years ago from cirrhosis.  He was a hardcore alcoholic.  We have a nephew named "Matt".  Jim and Matt were never close to one another, in fact, they didn't like one another.  They were cordial to one another but, behind one another's backs, they were critical.  The truth is, both of their criticisms were valid, but that's beside the point.  LOL.  The point is, they were not close.  

Jim expressed a strong faith in Jesus, even if he didn't exactly live a saintly life.  Matt, while claiming to believe in God, is not at all religious, spiritual, etc.  He never talk about God or how we came into existence or if there is Heaven, etc.  The only time he's ever spoken of it is when I brought it up.  

A year or so after Jim died, Matt drove my mother (his grandmother, obviously) to visit Jim's grave at a military cemetery an hour from where we live.  It was a short and unremarkable visit.

That night, Matt had a dream.  Matt dreamt that he walked into an office at Lowe's (where Jim used to work after retiring from the Navy) carrying a bunch of security tapes.  The office phone rang, Matt answered and said "Hey Jim, I have the security tapes.  What do you want me to do with them?"  At that, Jim said "I know you and Mom came to see me today.  I know that you couldn't see me, but I could see you.  I had a lot of problems but I'm doing much better now".  

At that, the dream apparently ended or segued into something non-related.  

I about fell out of my chair when Matt shared that story with me.  I will add that, Matt has NEVER been one to lie, embellish or brag, never.  I believe that Matt did indeed have that dream.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  

It's more likely that God was using a circumstance/dream. Makes sense to you?