IGNORED

Is it beneficial for the dead to pray for them?

Guest K9Buck

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

9 hours ago, K9Buck said:

Or is it pointless?  I suppose the answer depends upon whether or not you believe that one can be saved after their physical death.  

What is your belief?  Thank you.

I believe when we die we pass onto the resurrection. I see no reason you can't pray for someone who has passed on.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.85
  • Days Won:  33

We have to make the decision in this life, before we leave the Earth, whether we want to accept Jesus as our Saviour and have eternal life with Him.

The Bible states once we leave Earth, our destiny is sealed and there is no second chance.

We are told not to pray for the dead, because it won’t change their final eternal destiny. Instead we are told to pray for those that are still on the Earth.

Luke 16:19-31

19 Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed in purple and fine linen and who lived each day in luxury. 20 At his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. 21 As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.

22 “Finally, the poor man died and was carried by the angels to sit beside Abraham at the heavenly banquet.[e] The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and he went to the place of the dead.[f] There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side.

24 “The rich man shouted, ‘Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.’

25 “But Abraham said to him, ‘Son, remember that during your lifetime you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides, there is a great chasm separating us. No one can cross over to you from here, and no one can cross over to us from there.’

27 “Then the rich man said, ‘Please, Father Abraham, at least send him to my father’s home.28 For I have five brothers, and I want him to warn them so they don’t end up in this place of torment.’

29 “But Abraham said, ‘Moses and the prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote.’

30 “The rich man replied, ‘No, Father Abraham! But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will repent of their sins and turn to God.’

31 “But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2

19 hours ago, George said:

Shalom K9Buck,

Be sure to also post your prayer request with our Worthy Prayer Team.    Simply click on the Worthy Prayer Team link, and click login and submit your prayer request!  It's that simple!

God bless,

George

I should have placed this topic in another section.  My apologies. 

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,251
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  06/12/1974

2 hours ago, K9Buck said:

I should have placed this topic in another section.  My apologies. 

I'll try and flag it for you and see if they'll move it to the question area ✌️

6 hours ago, marvelloustime said:

The Bible states once we leave Earth, our destiny is sealed and there is no second chance.

So everyone who dies a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist or anything other than a Christian is condemned to Hell, correct?  

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

32 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

So everyone who dies a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist or anything other than a Christian is condemned to Hell, correct?  

If their name is not written in the Book of Life, yes.  Read Revelation 20:11-15.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

22 hours ago, K9Buck said:

Or is it pointless?  I suppose the answer depends upon whether or not you believe that one can be saved after their physical death.  

Praying for the dead, is not in the Bible anywhere.  In the story of the rich man, and Lazarus, Jesus does not suggest that any prayer would help the rich man.

I believe it is pointless.   You should pray for the living.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

If their name is not written in the Book of Life, yes.  Read Revelation 20:11-15.

So one's name could be written in the Book of Life, even though they haven't accepted Jesus as their savior, is that correct?

1 hour ago, LonerAndy said:

Praying for the dead, is not in the Bible anywhere.  In the story of the rich man, and Lazarus, Jesus does not suggest that any prayer would help the rich man.

I believe it is pointless.   You should pray for the living.

So there's no point in praying for the departed at a funeral, for instance, right?  

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, K9Buck said:

Once a person has died they are in the authority of God. It is too late and fruitless to pray for that person. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1