• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,445
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, LadyKay said:

It has come up to vote in my town that they want to do away with the prohibiting of the  selling alcohol on Sundays.  To be honest. I don't know if to vote "yes" or "no" on this issue. While I do not drink as I feel in my heart I have been directed by God not to do so. I do not think it is a sin for other people to drink and it is their personal choice to do so. I also do not feel it is right for me to force my believes onto other people and take away from them their own choice. I thought this would make a good topic for discussion.  Do you feel there should be a ban on selling alcohol on Sundays? Would you vote "yes" or "no" on this issue if it came up to vote where you live? (Hypothetically, I'm not asking how people vote for real that would be rude.) 

No right or wrong answers here. Just wondering how other Christians think about this. 

Coming from a 46 year alcoholic God instantly healed about four years ago.

Arguments are made about whether Christians are permitted to drink any alcohol or not? My opinion is not judging and I'm applying it to me individually as I eventually reach my point on your topic and question. Back in Jesus day, diseases and sicknesses came along with contaminated water and contaminated under cooked food; improper preparation and hand sanitation / utensils. Sanitation was practically nonexistent. Today, as back then, a little fermented wine would be good for the upset vomiting stomach. Today we have Rolaids, Tums, pills and medical treatment instead of fermented drink; and safe drinking water / food, and the knowledge of the diseases and proper temperatures and refrigeration, etc. 

All the preceding to say in the secular sense;  you always lose with Mr. Booze. In today's age, what blessings have come about from alcohol sales and consumption? Alcohol is always associated with and causes crime, accidents, bad decisions, irrational thought, loss of control, death, suffering, carnage and abuse. Even for heathens, atheists and pagans, we set Sunday aside for the respect, worship and recognition of God. Today the preceding unbelieving people have lost all fear of the Lord, and now Sunday is looked upon as a whole day of loss of business and profit. Blue laws were enacted when in a Bible believing Church community still had sway and influence in secular society. There's few pockets of those communities still in existence and are becoming fewer. Just last year in our county we had that vote; and Blue Laws were rescinded.

As an ambassador for Christ representing Him; we are to abstain even from the appearance, for obvious reasons. Whom will not be allowed into the Kingdom of God? Drunkards being one of them. 

Voting: Christians should be active and vote for what best represents their Christian principles, morals and values [possibly the lessor of two evils if you will].  Weigh the pros and cons as a Christian voting or not voting about rescinding Blue Laws. What honors God the most, what's best for your community, children and safety. It's a no brain-er to me...

1 hour ago, Sower said:

It's been tried before, and doesn't work

You can't legislate morality.

But they're doing a pretty good job legislating immorality and calling evil good and good evil wouldn't you say?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, AngelInTraining93 said:

No. I kid you not my 21st birthday fell on a Sunday and here in Indiana we have such a law. Granted I could have gone to a bar and had a drink but the fact that I could not have a drink in my own residence was completely intrusive on the State's part. Ridiculous. 

Hi ya!

Let me ask? Had you had that drink [and it was limited to only one which would be unlikely], what benefit would have been derived from it with the money spent? Did it go for the nourishment of your body or a physical necessity, could that wasted money be better saved or spent? What sort of pleasure or effect does one seek with alcohol? I'm a former hypocrite saying and writing this but; why do people want to celebrate their birthdays with alcohol? People that don't drink, when they get up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day long, and have nothing to look forward to? 

Intrusive on the states part? What percentage of the population will limit their alcohol consumption and there lasting effects to their home, and not venture out on the road to go somewhere. That previous statement is self evident and requires no statistics or explanation. 

I know the feeling though. I returned home from a year long combat tour in Vietnam when I was 20 years old. Enduring extreme conditions, hardships and risking life and limb, seeing things that are hard to get over, etc. I couldn't buy a beer on my own; I couldn't buy my own car from the military pay I saved, I had to give my savings to my Dad so he could purchase it and title it; I couldn't even vote... Life's not fair. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

2 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Hi ya!

Let me ask? Had you had that drink [and it was limited to only one which would be unlikely], what benefit would have been derived from it with the money spent? Did it go for the nourishment of your body or a physical necessity, could that wasted money be better saved or spent? What sort of pleasure or effect does one seek with alcohol? I'm a former hypocrite saying and writing this but; why do people want to celebrate their birthdays with alcohol? People that don't drink, when they get up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day long, and have nothing to look forward to? 

Intrusive on the states part? What percentage of the population will limit their alcohol consumption and there lasting effects to their home, and not venture out on the road to go somewhere. That previous statement is self evident and requires no statistics or explanation. 

I know the feeling though. I returned home from a year long combat tour in Vietnam when I was 20 years old. Enduring extreme conditions, hardships and risking life and limb, seeing things that are hard to get over, etc. I couldn't buy a beer on my own; I couldn't buy my own car from the military pay I saved, I had to give my savings to my Dad so he could purchase it and title it; I couldn't even vote... Life's not fair. 

Dude, don't overthink. I was 21 and wanted a drink. Why do I need the State's approval to do that?

4 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I do not know what the difference would be. Those who choose to purchase alcohol would have 6 other days to do so. What would the difference be? In our world today people are not going to care if it is Sunday. 

In my opinion the difference would be: A pocket of enough dedicated people to keep the day we worship the Lord and go to church, a day recognized to honor and worship our God, and not legalize and sell 'spirits'. You're correct about people [the secular world] not caring. Our nation, politicians and people have lost all fear and respect for the Lord. 

It's apparent the attitude of the secularized church has succumbed to the world. The circular reasoning argument is not biblical.  

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

44 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

But they're doing a pretty good job legislating immorality and calling evil good and good evil wouldn't you say?

The militant homosexual army is fervent, intoxicated with their intimidation's.
Christians refuse, rightly so, to fight fire with fire, using the same tactics.
Prayer is warfare. Warfare is prayer. It's a spiritual battle.
God is still on the throne!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

4 minutes ago, AngelInTraining93 said:

Dude, don't overthink. I was 21 and wanted a drink. Why do I need the State's approval to do that?

I didn't make the rules!

Romans 13:1 (KJV) Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.07

Many hv become Slaves of alcohol n the queue is long n full of teenagers, im not saying right or wrong, only slavery of lust.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

1 minute ago, Dennis1209 said:

I didn't make the rules!

Romans 13:1 (KJV) Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

I didn't resist the law, seems I am safe. So again, why should it be illegal?

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

58 minutes ago, Isaiah53NIV said:

People can still drink at a friend's house or at a party and then drive home. 

My view is that if people want access to alcohol, they will find a way.

Oh I'm sure, I didn't say it would eliminate it, just cut back on it. And it's only on one day of the week, albeit one of the busier weeks for alcohol establishments, so the advantage isn't a huge one.