IGNORED

Sunday Alcohol Sales

LadyKay

3 minutes ago, PromisesPromises! said:

Really?  Do you vote at all?  If so, how do divorce your beliefs from the issues in an election?  Just curious. 

Yes, I vote.  I don't "divorce" my beliefs.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

16 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

you'd think Mikhail Gorbachev was just sworn in or something.

Well, he kinda was.

4 hours ago, Sower said:

It's been tried before, and doesn't work

You can't legislate morality.

Isn't all legislation  an attempt at regulating and establishing a standard of morality? From speed limits to murder rules it is all man's enforcement  of morality, far as I can see  anyway.

44 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

See here, @Neighbor, you're letting Jimmy off the hook by pinning the tail on Billy! Here's my guess:

As Mikhail is to Billy, Leonid was to Jimmy. Sound right?

Ah but this is :off-topic: ... enough said!

Not really off topic for Jimmy was enough to drive one to need to drink alcohol  on Sunday, just to clear out the taste of him. Plus the fact that  as I remember it I actually was impressed by him early on and  think I may have voted for him the first time around,I know I considered it. If I voted for Carter once I just don't firmly remember - I might have passed on that office that year altogether  as I just couldn't persuade myself to continue the Nixon era with a good man, but not a strong president Gerald Ford. The Nixon stink left me so embittered that I later voted for  Ross Perot and also Pat Buchanan rather than a Republican or a Demoncrat .  

But then I once thought the Tea Party was the answer and even joined in on the Glenn Beck Rally For America.  It was about then I realized, hey this guy is actually a Latter Day Saint of Jesus Christ cult member beginning to push his cult on us. Stuff like that will drive anyone to want a whole bottle to drink on a Sunday.

Edited by Neighbor
edited typos and added a word for clarity

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Hi ya!

Let me ask? Had you had that drink [and it was limited to only one which would be unlikely], what benefit would have been derived from it with the money spent? Did it go for the nourishment of your body or a physical necessity, could that wasted money be better saved or spent? What sort of pleasure or effect does one seek with alcohol? I'm a former hypocrite saying and writing this but; why do people want to celebrate their birthdays with alcohol? People that don't drink, when they get up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day long, and have nothing to look forward to? 

Intrusive on the states part? What percentage of the population will limit their alcohol consumption and there lasting effects to their home, and not venture out on the road to go somewhere. That previous statement is self evident and requires no statistics or explanation. 

I know the feeling though. I returned home from a year long combat tour in Vietnam when I was 20 years old. Enduring extreme conditions, hardships and risking life and limb, seeing things that are hard to get over, etc. I couldn't buy a beer on my own; I couldn't buy my own car from the military pay I saved, I had to give my savings to my Dad so he could purchase it and title it; I couldn't even vote... Life's not fair. 

Thank you for service.....you are a hero, as is anybody that endured that Hell-Hole...  

On 1/20/2020 at 10:05 PM, DustyRoad said:

Yes, I was alluding to the clash between my parents: my late father who voted for Democrats until Jimmy Carter came along, and my late mother who refused to vote for a Republican until Barrack Obama ran for office. They both had their reasons... but like the appeal of liquor their reasons made absolutely no sense to me. All they did was argue, squabbling day and night for the entire election cycle... for what? What purpose did it serve and whom did it benefit? 

Benefit? Well  I think it is well to argue out a reason to vote for anyone. You served you saw the consequence of votes up close and brutally personal. I didn't,  instead I worked with the Survival assistance officers at Ft Mac Arthur  helping grieving families. In total our little group at just one local cemetery did that some 169 times. I learned much in that sad process about loyalty, and also racism.

It was indeed  a very hard time for this country and all of us in it.  Nixon claimed or have a secret plan to end the war. Yeah sure- lose it, let lots of men and women die, then lose it. I have a hard time not arguing with myself over every selection for high office as a result. Best to do it sober, but a drink helps many handle it I suppose. Bush Sr ( 41). seemed to have it right. get in win kill em and leave immediately. Bush Jr.( 43) What was with that?  Get in  stay in  and never get out. Geesh what a foolish plan what a terrible waste, to have good men and women die for what? No real plan, no end goal. No glory,  no cause even. I might want to have a drink just thinking about it. Too many die serving the truly incompetent.  

And a nation has to chose  between a Hilary and a Donald? Makes me sad.  A very creepy man versus a even more creepy and mean woman. Make mine Beam's Choice straight up,  no ice, if you don't mind. Fact just throw away the cork and hand over the bottle. Buy one a day and two on Saturday -much like getting mana, eh? Two on the day before a day of rest and worship.

Now while I am on a word bender let me emphasize that I don't drink alcohol.  Perhaps for obvious reasons.  I used to long long ago, just find I am better off not doing so.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Isn't all legislation  an attempt at regulating and establishing a standard of morality? From speed limits to murder rules it is all man's enforcement  of morality, far as I can see  anyway.

(I think) legislation's are law, for the protection of the citizens, our rights, not values.
Morality is the "societal" accepted principles of right and wrong morals,   the societies values of/from inherent conscience.
Or lack thereof.
Most all our constitutional law  was founded on God's moral law, intertwined.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

John Adams

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

In many ways though law does end up defining societies morals. Before 1968, abortion was regarded as unacceptable, except on stringent medical grounds, by the majority of people. Nowadays, the woman's right to choose seems to be solely the right to choose abortion. (Any woman who decides she wants to keep the baby is treated not far different from how women wanting abortions were treated 50+ years ago).

• Well Said! 1