IGNORED

Why does the Catholic Church recognize books not recognized by Protestants?

Guest K9Buck

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Protestants use the Hebrew Old Testament and the Greek New Testament, both translated directly into English; these are the original languages for the most part.  Books of the Old Testament and parts of books that were in the Greek Bible but not in the Hebrew Scriptures are called the Apocrypha. Most books and parts of books in the Greek Old Testament contained many errors so we don't believe they are God's inspired word.   Catholics use the Latin Bible, which is a translation of the Greek.  The Hebrew Old Testament did not contain the Apocrypha.  It was translated into Greek then into Latin, then into English.  Since it is not translated directly from the original languages into English we found it to be less accurate.   Jerome's Vulgate is known by other Catholic translators to contain errors.  The Vulgate is the Latin translation used for many centuries by the Catholic church.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 1/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, K9Buck said:

I presume that the Protestants deemed some of the books NOT to be the inspired word of God

I've read them. Yes, you presume correctly. 

7 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I've read them. Yes, you presume correctly. 

Thank you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

42 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

May God forgive me for asking, but why did God allow this to become so convoluted?

Well those who have rejected the Gospel of Jesus are given over to deception and delusions so they can add uninspired books and lead themselves down the path to destruction..  God allows people who reject His will to wonder into oblivion..

To put the history into simple terms.. The original Christians declared the 66 books to be inspired.. But some of the Christians believed that other books had some benifit in them but that they where not inspired.. So they declared 66 books conical and the others non-conical.. But the non-conical ones where placed together with the bible for so long that the many regarded them as scripture like the rest..

When the protestant break happened the leaders of the movement decided to only have the inspired books in their Bible and this was seen as a challenge to the authority of the catholic bible that had those non-conical books added.. So the catholic authorities then ( i believe it was in the 1500 ds ) declared the formerly non-conical books to now be the inspired word of God.. over 1000 years after they where declared to not be the inspired word of God..

6 minutes ago, Adstar said:

Well those who have rejected the Gospel of Jesus are given over to deception and delusions so they can add uninspired books and lead themselves down the path to destruction..  God allows people who reject His will to wonder into oblivion..

To put the history into simple terms.. The original Christians declared the 66 books to be inspired.. But some of the Christians believed that other books had some benifit in them but that they where not inspired.. So they declared 66 books conical and the others non-conical.. But the non-conical ones where placed together with the bible for so long that the many regarded them as scripture like the rest..

When the protestant break happened the leaders of the movement decided to only have the inspired books in their Bible and this was seen as a challenge to the authority of the catholic bible that had those non-conical books added.. So the catholic authorities then ( i believe it was in the 1500 ds ) declared the formerly non-conical books to now be the inspired word of God.. over 1000 years after they where declared to not be the inspired word of God..

Wow.  I'm 53 and knew none of this.  Thank you for the education.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

It makes me wonder if in the future, the Ark of the Covenant and Noah's Ark might be revealed by the Lord for further evidence and truth to an unbelieving world??

Dennis raises an interesting point and it is one that has consumed a lot of my personal musings and I would like to share it with you good folks:  is it possible that before the "End" (and how one understands eschatology is a huge topic in its own right), might it be reasonable that God would let come to light some irrefutable proof of the existence of God, just to give one last chance to non-believers of the need for personal repentance and salvation?  I was thinking of the discovery of Noah's ark that might contain some inscriptions, etc.  This would give a more than reasonable opportunity for skeptics to reevaluate their belief systems and provide one final chance for others to find salvation through the Holy Word.  

Yes, we all know that God's people historically did not spend much time in creating religious objects that could last for millennia, but rather focused on serving god with heartfelt devotion, but still, I wonder if God has in mind providing some tangible proof of a Creator that would persuade all but the most stubborn of a Creator?  What if an angel were to come down and give an interview in all of the world's languages about the need for repentance?

Okay, I will stop with the personal musings....:)

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

6 minutes ago, BibleStudent100 said:

God created us as IMAGERS of Him with freedom, reason and skill. If a person cannot look around and see that God exists, some fake 'angel' is not going to matter a hill of beans...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,445
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

2 hours ago, K9Buck said:

May God forgive me for asking, but why did God allow this to become so convoluted?

Hey K9Buck!

Let's think about that question for a moment...

God promised to preserve His Word for all of eternity and it shall never pass away, and the Lord did just that and we have it now. Satan the lying deceiver, the author of confusion and deceit, wants nothing more than to cause confusion and chaos in God's word. 

Prior to the nineteenth century, there were only a few translations / versions of the Bible around [the Latin Vulgate, KJV, Septuagint and Geneva Bibles come to mind]. Then there was an explosion of translations and versions starting in the 1800's. Why???

Look at the inside cover of every translation of the Bible, and see which ones are copyrighted, and those that are not. Do you know the reason and purpose of a copyright? Should God's word be copyrighted?

By law, to obtains a copyright on original intellectual work, it must be at least 15% different from the other text [percentages and requirements may have changed to date?]. 15% + 15% + 15% + 15%... =. You see where I'm going with this. What's the most popular and best selling book of all time? Could it be, that the Bible was turned into a cash cow??

Just some personal thoughts...

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,445
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

1 hour ago, BibleStudent100 said:

Dennis raises an interesting point and it is one that has consumed a lot of my personal musings and I would like to share it with you good folks:  is it possible that before the "End" (and how one understands eschatology is a huge topic in its own right), might it be reasonable that God would let come to light some irrefutable proof of the existence of God, just to give one last chance to non-believers of the need for personal repentance and salvation?  I was thinking of the discovery of Noah's ark that might contain some inscriptions, etc.  This would give a more than reasonable opportunity for skeptics to reevaluate their belief systems and provide one final chance for others to find salvation through the Holy Word.  

Yes, we all know that God's people historically did not spend much time in creating religious objects that could last for millennia, but rather focused on serving god with heartfelt devotion, but still, I wonder if God has in mind providing some tangible proof of a Creator that would persuade all but the most stubborn of a Creator?  What if an angel were to come down and give an interview in all of the world's languages about the need for repentance?

I think it not beyond the realm of possibility to convince unbelievers the Bible is the truth and God's word with artifacts. Just as a recent historical example; the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls; that further verify our Bible is accurate and the word of God and authentic. 

It seems that God is pulling out all the stops the closer we get to the end, so to speak. In the tribulation the Lord provides the Two Witnesses [what had they personally witnessed as they proclaim the Gospel?], the 144,000 Jewish virgins proclaiming the Gospel. And if that was not enough... What do you think and do seeing a "heavenly flying angel" preaching the Gospel as he flies around the globe? 

At present there's a number of obstacles preventing the revealing of historical biblical artifacts and truths, awaiting God's perfect timing. There are many programs and the world is curious as to the whereabouts of Noah's Ark and the Ark of the Covenant. I have a hunch they may one day be revealed? We shall see. We're living in exciting times!