Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Have you ever wondered why the disciple John was so beloved of Jesus and special?

John 13:23 (KJV) Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. [John never brings attention to himself, refers to himself in the third person]

John 19:26 (KJV) When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

The Apostle John was probably the only Apostle that didn't die a martyrs death, and lived to a ripe old age. Reading scripture you can't help but to notice there was something special about John in Jesus' eyes? John was given the special blessing and privilege of taking care of His mother, why? I'm trying to develop and research an opinion as to why John was so special; but it gets a little confusing with the genealogy, as that may be part of it? There are three "Mary's" talked about during the time of Jesus' crucifixion; Mary the mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene and Mary Salome [wife of Zebedee and mother of James & John]. 

This Mary Salome appears to be the sister [or half sister] to Mary, the mother of Jesus? This naming is somewhat confusing, having 'two' named Mary's in such a small family group? 

Anyway, it's starting to appear that Jesus and John were related, and may have grown up together and were very close? 

Anyone studied this and formed an opinion of this close relationship? Thoughts??

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

18 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Have you ever wondered why the disciple John was so beloved of Jesus and special?

John 13:23 (KJV) Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. [John never brings attention to himself, refers to himself in the third person]

John 19:26 (KJV) When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

The Apostle John was probably the only Apostle that didn't die a martyrs death, and lived to a ripe old age. Reading scripture you can't help but to notice there was something special about John in Jesus' eyes? John was given the special blessing and privilege of taking care of His mother, why? I'm trying to develop and research an opinion as to why John was so special; but it gets a little confusing with the genealogy, as that may be part of it? There are three "Mary's" talked about during the time of Jesus' crucifixion; Mary the mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene and Mary Salome [wife of Zebedee and mother of James & John]. 

This Mary Salome appears to be the sister [or half sister] to Mary, the mother of Jesus? This naming is somewhat confusing, having 'two' named Mary's in such a small family group? 

Anyway, it's starting to appear that Jesus and John were related, and may have grown up together and were very close? 

Anyone studied this and formed an opinion of this close relationship? Thoughts??

Hi,

John also places little digs at Peter, within John's writings. Some of  the mention  of being the beloved one is by John and is a kinda rivalry with Peter.

As to being close to Jesus; His half brothers were close I would presume.

Might look at all called to be Apostles, the twelve, the replacement  selected by the eleven, and the apostle out of time, in order to get a better take on the presumption of favor upon John in comparison to any other.

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

Shalom @Dennis1209

4 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Interesting questions.

I have no confirmed answer on the matter but I assumed it was because of John's heart.

He and his brother were called the "sons of Thunder" by the Messiah, which could indicate overt passion or bold attitude when speaking with others. 

We also see that John pipes up in Mark 9:38 saying that he was passionately dissuading other followers who didn't follow the disciples, against the Messiah's wishes.  So we have confidence and zeal to throw into the mix.

But as well as this bold and passionate, zealous side, John was also very gentle (leaning on the Messiah at the last supper) and spiritual.  He was invited to witness several private miracles and understood the Messiah's ministry from a very intimate point of view with deep spiritual revelations, that it seems the other apostles didn't - as witnessed in his gospel throughout.

Therefore, I kind of see John as a mixture of "a man after God's heart", zealous and bold and a young child accepting the Kingdom of God, innocent, gentle and spiritual - somewhere inbetween. 

Love & Shalom  

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

haha...i've had it in my mind to sort out those relationships for years....but never got a round tuit.  Round tuits are rare.....

I knew Salome was wife of Zebedee, mother of James and John, but didn't realize she was a Mary.

And what about Mary sister of Martha?  Siblings of Lazarus?  Is she also Magdalene?  Some say yes but i'm not sure.   Anyway, i am very suspicious there's a lot to be learned from those relationships that can be conclusively nailed down.

We do know for sure Jesus and John the Baptist were related because Mary was a "kinswoman" of Elizabeth, John the Baptist's mother.  I really would be curious to know if He was related to James and John, sons of Zebedee as well...keep us posted :)

I think John most likely stood out because he'd learned how to love Jesus back the best.  But, it seems clear there were discernible differences in relational closeness in Jesus' life.   There were a multitude of disciples who followed Him, but the 12 had a much more intimate relationship with Him and probably got a lot more of His focused time and attention too.  Then of the 12, were Peter, James and John.   And then there was John.....

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

This Mary Salome appears to be the sister [or half sister] to Mary, the mother of Jesus? ....

Can you point to the evidence of this?

1 hour ago, Jostler said:

Can you point to the evidence of this?

Salome sister [possibly half sister] of Mary, Jesus mother. This is where some of my confusion lies. Some extra biblical writings suggest she was also called Mary? Evidence; ain't gots no evidence, I'm confused and asking help sorting out and making some sense, setting me straight if you will? I'm not very good with genealogy.

12 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Salome sister [possibly half sister] of Mary, Jesus mother. This is where some of my confusion lies. Some extra biblical writings suggest she was also called Mary? Evidence; ain't gots no evidence, I'm confused and asking help sorting out and making some sense, setting me straight if you will? I'm not very good with genealogy.

no worries bro....i am both curious and pretty ignorant of the topic too.  I am not aware of any Biblical evidence...was just curious if you knew of some I had not noticed. 

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

John also places little digs at Peter, within John's writings. Some of  the mention  of being the beloved one is by John and is a kinda rivalry with Peter.

As to being close to Jesus; His half brothers were close I would presume.

Might look at all called to be Apostles, the twelve, the replacement  selected by the eleven, and the apostle out of time, in order to get a better take on the presumption of favor upon John in comparison to any other.

Hey Ya!

Like I made mention, I'm not very good with family trees [genealogy]. It's clear Peter, James and John were what is known as Jesus' inner circle. They alone were allowed to witness the transfiguration and other special events. 

I was trying to figure out why these three, and John in particular were so special? As in, what was their relationship and what made them special; again with the 'beloved disciple' in particular. Of the twelve Apostles there are 'two' James. James the Greater, son of Zebedee and Salome, brother of John the Apostle. This James the Greater is the only Apostle who's martyrdom is recorded in scripture.

The 2nd James is James the Less [size probably], or James the Just; son of Alphaeus, a.k.a. Cleopas. The half brother or near kinsman of Jesus. This is the James that bears the name of the Book of the Bible. I can't find [but suspect] this James is the one whom was in Jesus' inner circle, and not the James brother of John?  <- that's a question.

Peter was the only Apostle recorded that was married. Anyway, if my thoughts and interpretations are accurate; the disciples James and John were kinsman and related by family blood? 

Edited by Dennis1209

7 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom @Dennis1209

Interesting questions.

I have no confirmed answer on the matter but I assumed it was because of John's heart.

He and his brother were called the "sons of Thunder" by the Messiah, which could indicate overt passion or bold attitude when speaking with others. 

We also see that John pipes up in Mark 9:38 saying that he was passionately dissuading other followers who didn't follow the disciples, against the Messiah's wishes.  So we have confidence and zeal to throw into the mix.

But as well as this bold and passionate, zealous side, John was also very gentle (leaning on the Messiah at the last supper) and spiritual.  He was invited to witness several private miracles and understood the Messiah's ministry from a very intimate point of view with deep spiritual revelations, that it seems the other apostles didn't - as witnessed in his gospel throughout.

Therefore, I kind of see John as a mixture of "a man after God's heart", zealous and bold and a young child accepting the Kingdom of God, innocent, gentle and spiritual - somewhere inbetween. 

Love & Shalom  

Good points!

It does appear there was some inward competition between the Disciples, as I interpret Matthew 18: 1-5. Being 'humble' was at the top of the list; and I could probably make a case John might have been the most humble and gentle; excluding the Apostle that came late [Paul]. I recall Paul correcting some of Peter's doctrine, not so John. With the exception of Paul, John wrote the most books of the Bible [five]. When writing and inserting himself, John was humble and seldom named himself, but in the third person; exception being the Book of Revelation. 

The Apostle John had a couple of disciples of his own studying under him [early church fathers], Polycarp and Irenaeus. I know the temptation I would have if I were in their shoes. "Hey John, describe and tell me a few things you seen and witnessed you didn't write down and record, don't skip a thing".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Jesus and John were like best friends. But the Bible is silent on why.