IGNORED

Are there any Catholics here besides me?

Guest K9Buck

I was raised a Catholic and so I consider myself a Catholic, although I dislike the current Pope and I am deeply bothered by the many scandals that have rocked the church.  I'm also not necessarily in lockstep with all church teachings.  Of course, is anyone in 100% agreement with the faith to which they belong?  Anyway, I was wondering if there are other Catholics here.  Thanks.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

I was raised a Catholic and so I consider myself a Catholic, although I dislike the current Pope and I am deeply bothered by the many scandals that have rocked the church.  I'm also not necessarily in lockstep with all church teachings.  Of course, is anyone in 100% agreement with the faith to which they belong?  Anyway, I was wondering if there are other Catholics here.  Thanks.

There are some that post in the Worthy Pavilion under 'Catholic'.
There are many ex catholics here, as am I.
Was thirty five years in that religion, and went all through school and high school.
Was taught much about morals, respect, deportment, and catechism. Altar boy also.
I learned very much. Just never heard the gospel. Was only taught from the catechisms.
Didn't know anything about this being saved, or being born again stuff.
Then a Christian said I must be born again if I want to go to heaven.
A seed was planted, and I pulled out my old catholic bible and sure enough,there it was.
More reading and asking a bazillion questions and told God my belief and ask Him for salvation mercy.
He said   'yes, son'..........

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 3

Thanks @Sower

I too was an altar boy and went to Catholic grade and high schools.  I consider myself Catholic but, as I'm not necessarily in lockstep with all of their teachings, perhaps I am not.  Maybe that makes me a "cafeteria Catholic".  LOL.  

The main thing and maybe the only thing is that I do believe that Jesus is my (our) savior and that he died for our sins.  I believe in doing unto others, praying for one's enemies, loving one another, etc.  Beyond that, I'm not sure that it really matters.  

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

36 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

Thanks @Sower

I too was an altar boy and went to Catholic grade and high schools.  I consider myself Catholic but, as I'm not necessarily in lockstep with all of their teachings, perhaps I am not.  Maybe that makes me a "cafeteria Catholic".  LOL.  

The main thing and maybe the only thing is that I do believe that Jesus is my (our) savior and that he died for our sins.  I believe in doing unto others, praying for one's enemies, loving one another, etc.  Beyond that, I'm not sure that it really matters.  

Hi you said you were not sure it really matters. Are you talking about doctrine? I think all doctrine matters. I am not Catholic but I think a lot of what the Catholic church teaches is correct. Like the trinity. Like the resurrection of Jesus. Many others too. I dont believe Mary was sinless. This site is kind of anti catholic.  Some of the greatest Christian's were catholic.  In my opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

52 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

Thanks @Sower

'Beyond that, I'm not sure that it really matters'.

Can you still recite your Latin responses, Buck?
I can still recite most, (sixty years later) they were so drilled into my head.........
default_cool2.gif.8749b11368655ebda18e65f6bfb29471.gif
Good to hear you your belief in our Savior Jesus, and knowing He died for our sins.
Knowing that you say
'Beyond that, I'm not sure that it really matters'.
The thing is, Buck, you can be sure about what really matters.
The biggie for me back then was I wasn't saved (and didn't know it). We were taught it was a sin to believe you were good enough
to go to heaven. That was a sin of presumption, and still is, I'm pretty sure, in the catholic church.
But I knew I was missing something, feeling empty going through those
repetitive rituals, novenas, rosaries w/stations of the cross etc.
I have never then or later seen a catholic get saved, within the catholic church.
I was saved driving my VW bug while talking to God, and He was OK with that. (so was I)
I know it was God drawing me, but I believe the biggest factor was the word. It shined light (truth) into my mind.
It changed my thinking (repented) and more light from hearing answers to those many questions I ask of Christians.
I was so upset that my old priests and nuns or the church never told me anything about all this important information.
Visiting and later joining a small baptist church out in the country where I lived,
as believers we both were  baptized to proudly show our belief in Jesus as our Savior.
What really matters Buck, is knowing you are truly a born of the spirit believer in Jesus, born again,
and not just knowing about him, and that He exist.
I know the difficulty you may have dealing with all you have been taught by the catholic church. As I was.
But I finally gave up my guilt ridden loyalty to the holy mother church, and gave all my loyalties to God now.
God is light, His promises are true. All of them. (see below)

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  Matt 7, 7

Ps; I love all catholics, as most of my old friends and relatives are catholic..
(but I'm working on them:)

• This is Worthy 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Hi you said you were not sure it really matters. Are you talking about doctrine? I think all doctrine matters.

If one believes that Christ is their savior and tries to follow his example and then dies, will they be damned because they did or didn't believe in, for instance, purgatory?  I don't think it matters, but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.   :)

2 minutes ago, Sower said:

Can you still recite your Latin responses, Buck?

The biggie for me back then was I wasn't saved

I'm 53 and grew up in central Ohio.  We were never taught Latin.  

Catholics believe in Christ.  Provided they believe in Christ and try to live a life like Christ, why wouldn't they be saved?  

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

3 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

If one believes that Christ is their savior and tries to follow his example and then dies, will they be damned because they did or didn't believe in, for instance, purgatory?  I don't think it matters, but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.   :)

I see you mean matters as to salvation. A lot of doctrine does not effect salvation.  But a lot does. Believing Jesus is Gods son matters. That he rose on the third day matters. Weather to worship on the seventh day or the first does not matter. 

1 minute ago, Wayne222 said:

I see you mean matters as to salvation. A lot of doctrine does not effect salvation.  But a lot does. Believing Jesus is Gods son matters. That he rose on the third day matters. Weather to worship on the seventh day or the first does not matter. 

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.  :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, K9Buck said:

I was wondering if there are other Catholics here.

Yes there are, Buck. Usually those who announce their doctrinal beliefs eventually have an indicator on the profile status. Not for identification per se, but so Worthy members can communicate with better understanding of how they view themselves. Such as, Non-Believer, Seeker, Non Conformist Theology, Non Trinitarian, and also Catholic as well.