IGNORED

Are active alcoholics going to Hell?

Guest K9Buck

1 Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

People who are active alcoholics (meaning, not a "recovering" alcoholic) are going to Hell, even if they believe in Jesus and even if they are remorseful about being a "drunkard" as they actively engage in that sinful lifestyle, correct? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Not my place to decide that. My place is to love on them, pray for them and help them overcome their sin.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, K9Buck said:

1 Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

People who are active alcoholics (meaning, not a "recovering" alcoholic) are going to Hell, even if they believe in Jesus and even if they are remorseful about being a "drunkard" as they actively engage in that sinful lifestyle, correct? 

God loves the alcoholic and He knows we all have our weaknesses. Alcohol is a sin but we as believers are all sinners. Alcohol will not keep a person from heaven but they may get there faster if they keep up the addicion. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, K9Buck said:

The Law condemning the human race to hell is trumped by Grace.

Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.

Period.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

According to the list, thieves aren’t gonna make it either .Yet we know the thief on the Cross was saved .Could the Alcoholic not do the same thing the thief did and make it to Heaven.Common sense says so.Nobody gets saved “ lest the Spirit draw him.” How does the Holy Spirit “ draw” a person ? By the Conviction Of Sin. He opens your eyes to the fact that you are a Sinner that needs a Savior.The thief had a “change of mind” as to who he was (“ we are getting what we deserve”he said ) and as to who Jesus was.( he realized Jesus was God , who would rise from the dead and go on to rule His Kingdom) This is Repentance- Turning to Jesus with a Contrite Heart which lead him to become a Believer.All Believers are Saved.

If a drunkard turns to God with a Contrite heart ( changed from a hard, unbelieving heart by the Holy Spirit ) and if he puts his trust in Jesus to save him.....he should be as “ fit for Heaven” as the Thief who made it to Paradise .Some drunks will put down the bottle immediately .....others take time.Given enough time, the Holy Spirit and God will “ finish the Work He started”. Grace will cover the drunkards sins- just like ours-and the drunk,after coming to God through Jesus will be “ saved to the uttermost.” Just like the rest of us sinners.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, K9Buck said:

Is this a segue into talking about homosexuality? 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

1 hour ago, Coliseum said:

"Oh, if I could just be free of this one sin," we hear people often say. "I am racked with guilt and shame, and I cannot talk to others who are wrestling with their sins because I am dragged into the depths by mine. I am a weak vessel for the Lord, and make my Father look dishonorable because of this one, besetting sin." 

It is true. God hates sin, and cannot look at it, but God knows that when we are contrite, He pities us. If I cannot be won over by God's love, I certainly cannot be won over by God's wrath. How do I get over this crushing defeat. Paul experienced it. But He did not run from it. He said it was not him, but sin "living in me." Was he sickened by it? Did it bother him? Did Paul battle the same kind of enemy we do? Yes! What did he say? What was his remedy? 

Romans 7:24-25 (NIV)
24  What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
25  Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!  

The Lord cannot help you if you run---unless---unless...you run towards Him, into his arms. That's what Paul did---the Chief sinner---and that's what we must do. "Oh! Everyone's got it all together but me." But if we are honest, we know that that is what all men are saying, because no man has it all together. "We all fall short of the glory of God." We must go to Him who must do for us what we cannot do ourselves. It is His work, not ours. Go to Him as a child who puts his arm around his daddy. His Daddy cannot wait for him to ask Him for help.

good grief what a change this simple revelation made in my life.  Recognition of it was a turning point in my personal battle with sin.  It's the root of the longstanding division so prevalent on this forum and my heart breaks to see those who still believe the answer is "try harder".  Well expressed bro...thank you. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Be careful how you characterize some folks. Back in the day, clean healthy water was not easy to come by. There are very good historic reasons for such.

Wine was a staple and something nearly everyone used.

Consider these two scriptures. Alcohol is not a sin. It may be unwise for some folks and can lead to other things, but in and of itself is not condemned in scripture.

Being a 'drunkard' is something different.

1Tim. 3:8   iDeacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued,3 jnot addicted to much wine, knot greedy for dishonest gain.

Titus 2:3 qOlder women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, rnot slanderers sor slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

The answer is an unqualified YES.  I want to point out a passage I've NEVER been able to get anyone to address head on.  This rocked my world and sent me on a quest for understanding it took Him YEARS to finally get through my head.  And that was because He had to tear down a whole lot of theology i thought I had nailed as incontrovertible TRUTH.....but wasn't.

Will a born again adulterer, thief, drunkard or homosexual suffer ETERNAL consequences for failing  to ever bear any fruit of the Spirit in this life?  YES!  Will His grace still spare them eternity in the lake of fire?  YES.

I challenge anyone to look at this passage, and take their confusion about what it says directly to the Teacher and ask for an explanation, how to resolve the confusion:

Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.

The first time i really read this passage, for what it actually says (as opposed to what i assumed it was supposed to say)....it simply left me speechless.

The context is the Heavenly City, Zion, the New Jerusalem, where the Tree of Life now is.   This is the City that comes down out of Heaven from God to be united once more with a renewed earth.  This is AFTER the judgement has already decided our eternal destination. 

What in the world is going on here?  Why are people identified by these labels...all grievous sins even mentioned???  I thought those all ended up in the lake of fire long before this point!

We fail on two major points, failing to apprehend the incredible, mind boggling infinite nature of  His mercy and failing to comprehend the utter terror, of His eternal judgement.

If we think there is anything we can DO to earn a place in eternity, we have yet to apprehend the incredible extension of grace He extended to us.  If we think works don't matter and grace means there are no consequences for giving our lives to sin ....God help us...because what we choose to do has ETERNAL consequences and they are SEVERE if they're unholy works.

Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

Until we have a balanced view of both His kindness, goodness...DEMONSTRATED in His gift of His own son, AND the severity....the terror... of rejecting that, or even carelessly trampling it AFTER being born again, we can not even begin to know God for Who He really is.

Edited by Jostler