IGNORED

Near death stories query

How come in many near death experiences people describe a tunnel, a loving light, amazing peace but - often no mention of Jesus Christ? Sometimes not God as such on any way.

I believe people when they tell of such things because i really do not think they would make it up. Why would they after all? 

So how could a person who could well be an atheist have such peace? I am glad they do of course. Or could it be that is what happens and they retuen to tell of it but had they been kept dead, then they go on to be questioned about whether they accept Jesus. In order then to go to heaven or hell according to the judgement. 

I have sometimes read accounts of atheists near death who found themselves in or very near hell. They then chose to cry out to God even at that stage and were saved. Meaning maybe it may not be too late even then to accept God is real. 

Any thoughts? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

2 Corinthians 12 (AV)
1 It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
5 Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

Luke 16:19–31 (AV)
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Since the cross of Christ, only the side the rich man is on and the abyss (for fallen angels and demons) are occupied until the general resurrection on Judgment Day:

Revelation 20 (AV)
7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

There have been unsubstantiated claims of near death experiences or out of body treks. They could be contrived, or misinterpreting what they experience.

Or as the psychologists claim, it could be subconscious hallucination.

It may (note I said "may" for the sake of argument) be the transition between the two realities and those who return to tell about it never got past the threshold.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

akin to getting the "day lights" knocked out of us.

Yeah, I can see that.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,395
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

41 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

How come in many near death experiences people describe a tunnel, a loving light, amazing peace but - often no mention of Jesus Christ? Sometimes not God as such on any way.

I believe people when they tell of such things because i really do not think they would make it up. Why would they after all? 

So how could a person who could well be an atheist have such peace? I am glad they do of course. Or could it be that is what happens and they retuen to tell of it but had they been kept dead, then they go on to be questioned about whether they accept Jesus. In order then to go to heaven or hell according to the judgement. 

I have sometimes read accounts of atheists near death who found themselves in or very near hell. They then chose to cry out to God even at that stage and were saved. Meaning maybe it may not be too late even then to accept God is real. 

Any thoughts? 

Top of the morning to you there Melinda12!

I'm hesitant to even speculate on such matters and experiences. There are a number of true NDE where people are revived and tell of things such as what they seen up above the surgery suite drop ceiling, out of place and unusual things on the hospital roofs, patient rooms, etc. Some hospital staff got convinced to at least check out their stories; and found the unusual items and things exactly as described and at the exact locations? 

I'm interested in the phenomenon myself but, I believe it is best not to delve too deeply into it. Perhaps a chemical electrical brain reaction? I believe certain medical death is defined as 'brain death'? Is the persons body not breathing and heart stopped, but there's still brain activity? But that doesn't explain the above.

To explain something accurately that no one could know unless you've seen it and been there, and they certainly were not rooting around above the surgical room drop ceilings. One would probably think the spirit and soul would have to separate from the body? 

In summation: I don't have a clue, it's another one of those mysteries we will have to wait to find out. It's got to be biological or supernatural, one of the two?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  239
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,542
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I believe them. As for the tunnel and stuff-- I feel God greets us in the way were most comfortable with or a way He knows we understand. 

He did come to Moses in a burning bush. God can and will do whatever he pleases. The bible doesnt have specifics on what we'll see the very moment we die so its left to anyone's interpretation. 

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

According to science these experiences are nothing more then an oxygen starved brain firing random neurons... basically your dreaming.

Personally, last August I had an incident at work, and was, for all practical purposes, dead. I didn't see anything to my knowledge. In fact I really don't remember any of it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,199
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

This is something we will not be able to answer other then speculation. I love hearing these stories. We need to remember just because I now say I LOVE JESUS I am saved are just words only He sees the heart. There are many stories of others (believers) that go right to heaven no tunnel at all. A pastor very old the they new he was about to go. The  woman that came to see him allot .. he said something.. she asked what do you see? He said so many angels that came to take him home. I personally believe those generals, great men woman of God go home this way. 

Maybe for some its like He said "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment". Yet what does His word say about those that are saved? We go right to the Father.  "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." We are CONFIDENT..